Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Cloughes comments tonight.....

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Normally I would completly agree. But its not the three games. Its the way we have won a row of games, and then go on a winless run without hardly scoring. Its the third time in 13 months it has happened. Hopefully its a blip and will beat Middlesbrough Leicester or Blackpool, but Gus' style and arrogant way of sticking with a failing system, suggests history of a year and 6 months ago is starting to repeat itself again. That's why I debating how long would you give the manager IF this run does continue like last season. For me its five more games before you seriosuly start considering your opitions. The only other call so far is 36 games.

One loss in 9.....

And you're getting far too much attention on this thread now. Night night.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
You're now saying another game this season. I think if any team went 30+ games there would be questions, especially as we are playing very well.

Who would you want to replace Poyet Mr burns? You've not answered that question which is important if we need to potentially replace by the end of the month.
No I'm not saying that at all. Why try and twist it, I was answering someone who would not change the manager if we didnt win a game for the rest of the season.

One point to pick you up on. We are playing well...... WOW!! Where you at Falmer for the past two matches. You're easily pleased if you think we were playing well!!!! :lol:

Don't know. Who'd have to wait to see who wanted it. I doubt there would be much of a lack of interest in it!!!!!

Seriosuly though caveman. Do you not think Bloom would not be asking serious questions to Poyet (if he didnt already last season) if we went 8 games without a win?

Make no mistake, the chairman want premiership football here next season or at the latest the one after.

How long do you think Bloom will give Poyet if this continues into November or even December judging by the up coming fixtures??

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I don't know why you continually repeat that Poyet continues with a failing system. We signed Billy Painter and Sam Vokes last season, and did change the system. It didn't work though, which is why I maintain that players are more important than systems.
But he never let them settle, and it was always one up front on their own. Not a lot of point having a target man, if theres no one to fed of him.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
So if we didn't win another game this season, you wouldn't want a change. Okay fine. I don't think many will shae that view.

Gus' style would probably be amazing with the best players at his disposal. But he hasn't. And the sooner he realises that the better.

I know we would not need to change-give it 5 games and a stunning away win at Leicester and things will be rosy again-you will even praise Barnes,well maybe not but perhaps be a little less harsh on him for a while..

Seriously though it's all down to players,your right, is Poyet making the most of the squad at his disposal yes mostly but we need Strikers 2 more at least.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
No I'm not saying that at all. Why try and twist it, I was answering someone who would not change the manager if we didnt win a game for the rest of the season.

One point to pick you up on. We are playing well...... WOW!! Where you at Falmer for the past two matches. You're easily pleased if you think we were playing well!!!! :lol:

Don't know. Who'd have to wait to see who wanted it. I doubt there would be much of a lack of interest in it!!!!!

Seriosuly though caveman. Do you not think Bloom would not be asking serious questions to Poyet (if he didnt already last season) if we went 8 games without a win?

Make no mistake, the chairman want premiership football here next season or at the latest the one after.

How long do you think Bloom will give Poyet if this continues into November or even December judging by the up coming fixtures??

Yes been to all the home games, as I have said our form is linked to key players missing.

Yes, bloom will want a return, but thankfully he will have more patients than you, gee you'd be a hard boss to work for. :lol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
But he never let them settle, and it was always one up front on their own. Not a lot of point having a target man, if theres no one to fed of him.

The only person likely to feed off Billy Painter is alongside him in the paddock at Blackpool Beach............IMO.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
No Kuszczak came here with the promise of premiership football and a premiership contract. You don't sign the likes of him, Bruno, Bridge, resign Vicente for another season of mid table championship football.

How can anyone 'promise' something like that. Yes, we have ambitions, but nothing is guaranteed.top players are coming to Brighton partly because of the stadium, partly because of the money, but mainly because they want to play the way that Gus has got BHA playing. I think your comments are misguided Mr Burns.
Btw, we played some good football yesterday, created some chances but missed them....we are a much better team then last season. So far under Gus, we have only improved.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Yes been to all the home games, as I have said our form is linked to key players missing.

Yes, bloom will want a return, but thankfully he will have more patients than you, gee you'd be a hard boss to work for. :lol:
You pusgh me for an answer, I'll push you for one as you are not answering it.

How long would you give Poyet if this runs continues?

We went 10 without a win last season, and no one questioned him.

We then went another 10 without a win last season and he still wasn't questioned.

We are at the early stages of another potential winless streak? So when are we allowed to start questioning it?

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Pst you still haven't offered up your replacement
I said I don't know who would be available so its a pointless question.

If I could pick anyone I'd have Alex Ferguson please, but I'd doubt if he'd come :hilton: so I don't know. Depends who's around in November/December I suppose

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
How can anyone 'promise' something like that. Yes, we have ambitions, but nothing is guaranteed.top players are coming to Brighton partly because of the stadium, partly because of the money, but mainly because they want to play the way that Gus has got BHA playing. I think your comments are misguided Mr Burns.
Btw, we played some good football yesterday, created some chances but missed them....we are a much better team then last season. So far under Gus, we have only improved.
Easy really. Sign a two year contract and if we go up, you'll be on a Premiership contract. I'd imagine thats how it went. They've come here for premiership football. We've got two years to deliver

If we played good football and we are much better than last year, we have nothing to worry about then do we.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You pusgh me for an answer, I'll push you for one as you are not answering it.

How long would you give Poyet if this runs continues?

We went 10 without a win last season, and no one questioned him.

We then went another 10 without a win last season and he still wasn't questioned.

We are at the early stages of another potential winless streak? So when are we allowed to start questioning it?

You have been questioning it, and as far as I am aware you are allowed to do so.

Your use of statistics is very selective though (and I am sure that you have stated before that you don't like statistics), and that reduces the credibility of what you put forward. We had a run of 8 games without defeat at the start of last season, and then a run of only one defeat (to Liverpool at Anfield) in 16.

If you choose to criticise Poyet for his tactical acumen for the defeats, to whom do you give credit for the successful runs?

Lies, damned lies and statistics as Disraeli once said...........

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
You have been questioning it, and as far as I am aware you are allowed to do so.

Your use of statistics is very selective though (and I am sure that you have stated before that you don't like statistics), and that reduces the credibility of what you put forward. We had a run of 8 games without defeat at the start of last season, and then a run of only one defeat (to Liverpool at Anfield) in 16.

If you choose to criticise Poyet for his tactical acumen for the defeats, to whom do you give credit for the successful runs?

Poyet and those stats is my point exactly. We are either on winless or loseless streaks.

Last season top of the table, teams pay attention to us and one after the other suss us out, and we plummet to 13th and go off the radar.

Starting january we go on an amazing run and end up 4th, chasing the automatic promotion slots.

Were back in everyone focus, they adapt, and we dont win in 8 and score well under one goal a game.

That's the point. Poyet doesn't seem to be able to alter things when we do have teams parking the bus. I've said over and over again, when Plan A works, there is not a team in the division that can come close to us. But championship managers are not stupid, and seem to know how to play us. If we don't score early and the opposition settle, Poyet has proven he cannot adapt.

I've said over and over again this weekend, when Poyet's plan A works, there is not a manager or team to touch it. Its unbeleivable football but as good as that is, its just as poor as that is good, when teams sit back against us, and we struggle to do anything. If he could win games where we don't score early when teams park the bus, I'd marry him. But he doesn't seem able to by a long way. The way its going, if he doesn't work it out soon, I think if we win one in the next seven it will be a blessing.

Answer me this about season. Why are we brilliant for 10 games, crap for 10 games, brilliant for 10 games, then crap for 10 games? Do you see a pattern. Who do you blame for that?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Last season top of the table, teams pay attention to us and one after the other suss us out, and we plummet to 13th and go off the radar.

Starting january we go on an amazing run and end up 4th, chasing the automatic promotion slots.

Were back in everyone focus, they adapt, and we dont win in 8 and score well under one goal a game.

That's the point. Poyet doesn't seem to be able to alter things when we do have teams parking the bus. I've said over and over again, when Plan A works, there is not a team in the division that can come close to us. But championship managers are not stupid, and seem to know how to play us. If we don't score early and the opposition settle, Poyet has proven he cannot adapt.

So, we win a bunch then we get sussed out and start losing. Why do we start winning again (and like with Southampton win against the teams that have previously proven they have sussed us out) if we've been sussed out?

It's not a case of being sussed out (a variation of the oft-claimed "we've been found out" that is, imo, a non-sense phrase).

There are a lot of good teams in this division more than half of them have premier league experience, who each have their own preferred system that, for them, when it works, works well. This is not an easy division. We will lose games, even if we switch to plan b, plan c, plan d, place e and then give plan f a go. The qualities and/or experiences of our opponents will factor in on how effective our system and their system is. As our squad improves both through bringing in better players, and our current players gaining experience at this level we will lose fewer and win more. We are one point better off than the same point last season and have conceded 8 fewer goals.

In football, momentum counts. It gives you confidence and takes it away, so yeah, sometimes results come in runs. But there is also an element of the randomness of schedules about it. Look at southampton's early season fixture list. Granted, we haven't had a run of teams expected to be the top four of our division, but that's not necessarily the point, the fixture list for us last season may have played a part, putting a small group of teams who by coincidence all raised their games/played their systems perfectly, and that led to a continued momentum over the next few games as well. Then we got back into the swing of winning, until we hit a bad run again.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
What else is there?

Win one, don't win one? That's no different to winning ten, ten without a win, win ten.
Wow! I'm surprised to here you say that. I know we hardly ever see eye to eye, but I had more respect for you than that comment suggests maybe I should,

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
So, we win a bunch then we get sussed out and start losing. Why do we start winning again (and like with Southampton win against the teams that have previously proven they have sussed us out) if we've been sussed out?

It's not a case of being sussed out (a variation of the oft-claimed "we've been found out" that is, imo, a non-sense phrase).

There are a lot of good teams in this division more than half of them have premier league experience, who each have their own preferred system that, for them, when it works, works well. This is not an easy division. We will lose games, even if we switch to plan b, plan c, plan d, place e and then give plan f a go. The qualities and/or experiences of our opponents will factor in on how effective our system and their system is. As our squad improves both through bringing in better players, and our current players gaining experience at this level we will lose fewer and win more. We are one point better off than the same point last season and have conceded 8 fewer goals.

In football, momentum counts. It gives you confidence and takes it away, so yeah, sometimes results come in runs. But there is also an element of the randomness of schedules about it. Look at southampton's early season fixture list. Granted, we haven't had a run of teams expected to be the top four of our division, but that's not necessarily the point, the fixture list for us last season may have played a part, putting a small group of teams who by coincidence all raised their games/played their systems perfectly, and that led to a continued momentum over the next few games as well. Then we got back into the swing of winning, until we hit a bad run again.
I agree with you on that that a lot of it has to do with confidence.

But Gus has said many times he doesn't believe in confidence effecting performance hasn't he. Maybe thats somewhere he could start looking for an answer :lol:

P.S. Not a good example to use Southampton. I recall the referee helped us out on that one!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here