Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice to see the church living in the real world ........

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I don't complain when the news is full of reality TV shows, The X Factor, Strictly Come dancing and the escapades of countless minor celebrities, about all of which i could't give a stuff.

I do (complain that is)... unless it's one of the red-tops which I never read, or Radio 1 which I never listen to. Radio 4 can do better.

Although talking of Radio 4 they included a mention of Beckham quitting LA Galaxy in their main news bulletins yesterday. That's going seriously down market. And have you seen the tattoos on his arm. Makes him look like a thug.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I don't complain when the news is full of reality TV shows, The X Factor, Strictly Come dancing and the escapades of countless minor celebrities, about all of which i could't give a stuff.

You should and many of those of us who've at least got 4 GCSEs (at the first attempt i may add) would wholeheartedly agree with you.

I find the news of the House of Laity's grim blockage of female bishophood very interesting, and horribly shocking. I'd be thinking that any organisation in competition with a growing number of others and determined to fight its slow decline would spend their time looking to increase their membership by accepting a certain amount of progress and boost their ranks accordingly. Out of date and inflexible aren't two mottos that generally attract new customers. There's no point trying to claim that religions aren't businesses either, not that i am saying you're saying such a thing as so much time is spent knocking on doors and advertising to gain new sources of income and wider audience.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Seems plenty of women voted republican in the recent US elections, despite an pretty anti-woman's rights manifesto. Maybe we should take the right to vote away from women so that their own interests can be protected.

Yes, save the pretty little things from themselves. They look and smell great but really should have to bother about thinking and opinions and stuff.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
........ NOT !!!!!! :facepalm:

And? All this political correctness drives me mad. I don't see people up in arms when Muslim women aren't allowed in mosques with men. Why is it that they can get away with it and a blind eye is turned but when it's the church there's outrage.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Lots of people do think it is important.

And it is very relevant if only because the Church of England is an Established Church and the Queen is head of it..... how ironic is that at the moment.

lol - Have to agree with you here.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
And? All this political correctness drives me mad. I don't see people up in arms when Muslim women aren't allowed in mosques with men. Why is it that they can get away with it and a blind eye is turned but when it's the church there's outrage.

Your are describing hypocrisy not Political Correctness.

Oct 25, 2003
Born again? Wow! How did you manage that? What did your mum think?

i suspect that you do actually know what a "born again christian" is, but anyway

2 Corinthians 5:17

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

and my mother is very happy thank you, despite not being christian herself she has seen the positive change in me

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Just out of interest, why are the CofE allowed to breach employment law?

The law in this country states that you're not allowed to discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender etc... when looking to fill a job vacancy, such as a bishopric for example (and quite rightly so, I might add). Therefore how, based on one interpretation of a 2000+ year old text, are the CofE allowed to circumvent the law of the land?

You are allowed to discriminate when employing people.

They call it positive discrimination. An oxymoron if ever there was one.

It's just another cog in the Nanny State mentality that forces people to function in an Orwellian State.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
If you opened your eyes and abandoned your prejudices, you might realise tha the Church does live in the real world, doing things like helping people who need help.

If you opened your eyes and dropped the rose tinted glasses you would realise they do more harm than good.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No Im not. There's one law for other people than the church. Prime exsample. Not allowed to wear the cross for BA but can wear any other religious item.

Which is hypocrisy not political correctness

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You are allowed to discriminate when employing people.

They call it positive discrimination. An oxymoron if ever there was one.

It's just another cog in the Nanny State mentality that forces people to function in an Orwellian State.

The Church? :eek:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
people can get the two confused as they are often pretty much the same thing. although political correctness is the more politically correct term.

I would agree that political correctness is often hypocritical but not that they are the same thing.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I would agree that political correctness is often hypocritical but not that they are the same thing.

i am just joking badfish.

anyway using the term political correctness as a right wing pejorative, and the opposing retorts that anyone who uses it as such is a small minded conservative, have totally distorted it as a genuine term for the phenomenon. it sounds very dated and tedious now. its been thrown back and forth for years, and always ends up in the hands of the stupid on either side.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
i am just joking badfish.

anyway using the term political correctness as a right wing pejorative, and the opposing retorts that anyone who uses it as such is a small minded conservative, have totally distorted it as a genuine term for the phenomenon. it sounds very dated and tedious now. its been thrown back and forth for years, and always ends up in the hands of the stupid on either side.

Yup! Agree. But do you have to be so politically correct about it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here