Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

News Of The World- RIP

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
"You take 5 million pounds a movie and then bleat because someone listens to your answerphone messages"

Can anyone explain the logic in this sentence? How does making movies or earning 5 million pounds or both excuse this kind of invasion of privacy?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Go to Liverpool.

I would be very surprised if the Sun get out of this without being implicated in the scandal. I have always just seen the NotW as the Sunday Sun, I haven't read either of them for a very very long time, after the Suns reporting of Hillsborough, the general lack of news and the writing style insulting my intelligence.

During the Falklands war, which was of course pre mobile phones, The Sun ran an interview with the widow of Colonel 'H' Jones, who was killed at Goose Green.

The only problem was that there was no interview, it was faked.

Of course The Telegraph are going to be against it. That is obvious
I don't think the Telegraph are against a Sunday Sun. The article basically says that publishing a seven day newspaper will backfire on News International very badly.

I suspect the Telegraph would rather like that to happen.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
During the Falklands war, which was of course pre mobile phones, The Sun ran an interview with the widow of Colonel 'H' Jones, who was killed at Goose Green.

The only problem was that there was no interview, it was faked.

Funny you should mention that case, EP, as reminds me of another piece they ran in the 80's. It was an interview with some eminent American psychiatrist - who claimed that Tony Benn was 'insane'.

I think the article appeared on the day that TB was standing for a by election (funnily enuff). Although the shrink did actually exist, he was never contacted by The Sun & had never passed comment on Tony Benn's psychological state. In other words, they made it all up.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I don't think the Telegraph are against a Sunday Sun. The article basically says that publishing a seven day newspaper will backfire on News International very badly.

I suspect the Telegraph would rather like that to happen.
and (as much as I hate the Torygraph) they would not be alone.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
This type of low-life gutter journalism has been shot and wounded, but unfortunately will recover - the NOTW was a victim the crossfire.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
This is a brilliant interview by the late great Clement Freud who discusses articulately what he thinks of a fellow guest who reveals personal details of Celebes as a job.

Watch from about 6:50 onwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here