Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

new stadiums

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Is it though? How often would Colchester have got more than that in the past 2 years? Ipswich and Southend at home maybe?

Nothing is more soul destroying than playing in a cavernous new stadium with a few thou rattling around inside.

I guess if it's an identikit lego ground, they'd probably expand to 15,000 when they had a bit more money to do so, but surely a 10k ground is better than the 5,500 shed they play in now.

True, but I just think that 10K seems too small. I'm not saying go for a whopping 25 or 30,000, but 10K just seems a bit teeny to me.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I would agree with that, it doesn't seem particularly ambitious, I guess they could add a few thousand more by filling the corners in...maybe even put a second tier on a stand to take it to about 20k. I heard a funny comment at Walsall, "this ground looks like B&Q with the roof removed"...I guess a lot of new grounds fall into that category...Cuckoo Farm certainly does.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Great thread,Son. And funny too. The Brighton air must have knocked some of that northern dourness out of you.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Baghdad!:O

baghdad_olympic1.jpg
Demolition costs of the housing estate that was previously where the new stadium is were next to nothing, courtesy of the USAF.:)

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Is it just me or is there a water slide on the back of the main stand? :jester:

Don't be silly, that would require them having running water surely?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Yes - was going to post the same thing myself!

Perhaps we're going to ground share to help things along financially!!

I wouldn't mind a trip to France every fortnight, stock up on the booze at the same time! I think we're on to something here:lolol:

brightonbear

Jan 2, 2008
No flaming from me MoH, I would tend to agree with you, the difficulty lies with being able to match supporters expectations with the reality of funding stadium improvements. I am sure that many of us would love to be watching our team at a modernised Goldstone Ground, that could have happened, but sadly it never did due to circumstances beyond our control.

The Taylor report pretty much demanded that fans be able to watch games in all-seater stadia, and in safety, it was just not practicable to achieve this in many cases. When you factor in the effect of rising land prices, many older grounds were in town/city centre areas where land was at a premium, it often made sense to sell up and rebuild elsewhere (ideally having already built the new ground first).

I am sure that if you asked the majority of our fans where they enjoyed going as a fan it would be to places like Ashton Gate, Loftus Road and Griffin Park, rather than some of the soul-less new stadia where the atmosphere is as plastic as the fork you eat your meat pie with.

Great post and I totally agree, new stadiums are great from a practical point of view, massive changing rooms (you could play the game in the changing room at Donny it's so big) access etc, but when you look at them the only way of telling what stadium your in is normally just from the colour of the seat's. They are all pretty much the same and a bit souless.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
isnt that pompey one REALLY controversial though - something along the lines of it being built on the docks and them having to move a load of historic ships, possibly even hms victory

brightonbear

Jan 2, 2008
isnt that pompey one REALLY controversial though - something along the lines of it being built on the docks and them having to move a load of historic ships, possibly even hms victory

The idea has been binned mate because the navy need the space for the new generation of carriers that will be entering service over the next few years. Shame really as it looked like a really exciting project. The new one is being proposed for the land going out of Portsmouth on the M27 where the landfill site is. But going on their past record I think they might have to wait for their next cup final apperance before it gets built.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Champions League FINALISTS 2008 - Barcelonas new stadium

Aerial%20view.jpg

:mint:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Champions League FINALISTS 2008 - Barcelonas new stadium

being petty but not strictly new more re design, don't even think they are closing the stadium while they do it either. But yep it looks pretty special

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
The idea has been binned mate because the navy need the space for the new generation of carriers that will be entering service over the next few years. Shame really as it looked like a really exciting project. The new one is being proposed for the land going out of Portsmouth on the M27 where the landfill site is. But going on their past record I think they might have to wait for their next cup final apperance before it gets built.

ah right - that did look amazing, building a new stadium right in the middle of the city. looks like they might get stuck with another out-of-town stadium then. i always thought the plans they drew up to turn fratton park around 90 degrees and keep part of the main stand in it were pretty impressive as well

Feb 28, 2006
Eastleigh

Yeah, just been looking into it a bit more and they want to build it on Horsea Island on way out of town. Apparently then putting in a 60 million quid monorail is an option but one that the club say they wouldn't be able to fund. Who they tink would put it in for them is anyones guess seeing as it would only get used once every two weeks. its hardly a viable money spinning option

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Cuckoo Farm will be 10,000 capacity?! Talk about lack of ambition!

Sounds pretty ambitious to me. They only got 6500 for their big championship derby with Ipswich.

Two bob

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
That Lazio one looks stunning.

I'm not sold on the new-look Camp Nou at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here