Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New public enquiry

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Waterhall Wizard said:
Try putting 'Pende' in to NSC's search engine

I think you should try it. You might be surprised by the results.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Last time a car went to Pende, it got stuck on a railway line and train bashed into it.

Pende ceased to be on the map in 1536 and has been uninhabited ever since. No sitting tenants.

Picture to follow.

Piles005.jpg

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How does that graph PROVE that Withdean is unsuitable all it shows is that in its present form and structure we lose money.

Just imagine the athletics stadium i.e track, potacabins and seats taken to Sussex Univerrsity and re-erected there, ample room for the number of spectators that follow athletics. Disregarding all other aspects of planning a 4 sided 15,000 all seater stadium built on the existing site. Would make the graph look better.

I do not want that but I often wonder as Withdean has never made Brighton Council any money since it was built and has been a drain on the rates. It is probably now making some money and would make more if a permanant ground for us. Not my view but could be of certain councillors.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Waterhall Wizard said:
In deed. That was a surprise.

I wonder what they did to it. Is it catching?

Bandwidth or something but don't talk too loudly or the regulars will start talking about when the fixtures are out and asking where you can get GOSBTS ringtones.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Be careful there. It was only part of the evidence. The opponents will maintain that Withdean could be redeveloped. Portacabins will be irrelevant then.

The issues are that Withdean is too small, transport problems, etc.

It is conceivable that the opponents will attempt to explain why it is not too small.

I would like to see a supporter with his child at the Public Inquiry, saying just how much of a problem it is getting tickets.

Just might mention why Gateshead, a non-league club (equivalent to Division 6 or so) has a modern ground with a capacity of 11,500. (Cause of the athletics, I suppose.)

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
me thinks mr andy horton(perseus) that thou doth protest too much.

You have an hidden agenda here, which I personally think is one to scupper the Falmer bid once and for all.

I do hope that any mischief making you have undertook does not cause the folding in due course of our club should the Falmer application finally be denied because of a site you personnaly have campaigned for.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
As much as I think that it is now the time for everyone to shut-up about alternatives and get behind the club 100% I can't help but feel that if some tossers meddling does scupper the deal it will be the clubs fault for not preparing themselves adequately.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The opponents of Falmer will maintain that Withdean can be redeveloped into a stadium.

It is their easiest course of action. To do otherwise would be to admit the case that Albion need a new stadium.

For Helen Mckay to do that, it would mean standing on her head insasmuch (if my memory serves me right) she spoke out against the transport arrangements for Falmer being adequate, which means that the transport arrangements are inadequate for Withdean as well.

I would suspect that the alternative plan for the Albion is to redevelop Withdean, which is naff in my opinion.

Hidden agendas are for paranoids :lolol:

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
perseus said:
The opponents of Falmer will maintain that Withdean can be redeveloped into a stadium.

Good luck. It's already had millions spent on it and it's still nowhere near resembling a stadium.

perseus said:

she spoke out against the transport arrangements for Falmer being adequate
I'd like to know how a stadium being 100 metres from a junction with the A27, 100 metres from a train station and between 200 and 400 metres from thousands of parking spaces can have inadequate transport arrangements.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Office of the Deputy Prime Minister and the public inquiry will test each site on the following grounds:

Is the site within the conurbation of Brighton and Hove, thereby complying with Football League requirements?
Is site acquisition a realistic proposition?
Is the site large enough for a 22,000-capacity community stadium together with a bus/coach car park?
Can a stadium be built without incurring unaffordable development costs on the site?
Can a stadium be built on the site without resulting in any over-riding safety/stadium management problems?
Are there any over-riding site-specific planning issues?
Is the site accessible by sustainable modes of transport?
Can a stadium be built on the site without resulting in any unacceptable environment impacts?
Can a stadium be built on the site without any unacceptable visual impacts?

More on:

http://www.gatwork.co.uk/brighton__hove/news/local_issues/stadium/alternatives.html

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Perseus doesn't have a hidden agenda - he has always been perfectly transparent with his anti-Falmer stance. Along those lines, he has been acting in a way a NIMBY mole would be proud of, and a hindrance to our campaign. Thankfully, no-one takes him and his brainless one-man crusade seriously - not even the NIMBYs.

To the truly stupid - that's you Perseus - Pende is in the wrong place. It is outside Brighton & Hove. Now shut the f*** up.

To the person who asked about the Brighton & Hove conurbation (Rangdo?). While that geographical location may be up for interpretation, I strongly suspect Prescott means land within the Brighton & Hove City Council area - Portslade comes within that remit, Southwick and Shoreham do not. They are both in Adur DC, and in West Sussex. Adur is also the planning authority for the piece of non-existant land which supporters of the Shoreham Harbour plan want to see the stadium built on.

Prescott never made any made any mention of the Football League 'eight-mile' zone. However, any development in Brighton & Hove would fall inside the 'zone' anyway.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
PENDE

Is it in Brighton and Hove? No, it is easier to get to for 65% of supporters and is only just outside the boundaries. Between Shoreham Airport and Lancing.
Can Albion have it? Probably, very cheaply.
Is it big enough? Yes - about 120 acres. (Waterhall is 80 acres).
Is it affordable? Commercial development would be needed to meet costs, but not that much and not immediately. Could make a profit on this.
Would people be safe? Yes
Is it accessible? The site is close to the A27 and the railway line and the official view is that a station would be built if it can attract 250,000 passengers a year
What environmental effect? At present a dumping ground for building spoil.
What visual impact? A stadium would enhance the area and is so far from human habitation even the access roads would not go past any houses.
Reasons for refusal? WSCC could veto it on transport grounds, but no other constraints are possible. Zoned for recreation and leisure. Tax exemption for sporting uses on dumping spoil. Has to be used for sport under current Planning Permission for dumping.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Can the Albion have it? Fat chance. I know for a fact that Adur DC would refuse the Albion any planning permission in their boundaries.

Do the Albion want it? No, they want Falmer.

You're making this up as you go along Percy you NOBBER. :tosser:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The Large One said:

To the person who asked about the Brighton & Hove conurbation (Rangdo?). While that geographical location may be up for interpretation, I strongly suspect Prescott means land within the Brighton & Hove City Council area - Portslade comes within that remit, Southwick and Shoreham do not.

Yes it was me, thanks LO. So IF Falmer were to fail, technically, according to Prescott's stipulations, we could have a stadium in Portslade? Can I be first to suggest that it is built on the Whitehawk dumping ground that is Warrior Close. I'd love to be able to walk to home games.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Lord Bracknell said:
Perseus ...

Will you be happy if Falmer Parish Council propose Pende as an alternative site?

Oooh. Good question.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No and they, Falmer Parish Council, won't. (To do so would be to admit that the Albion needed a new stadium.)

I won't be happy if the South Downs lobby did either. (They would muck it up.)

I would be happy if anybody with any political clout appraised the situation as an alternative by approaching the Albion directly, which is the decent thing to do.

Should anybody approach me (and they haven't) these would be my conditions.

If when the appraisal came down to it that Village Way South would be a better bet, I would have no objection. VWS is bigger and better.

I think that the politicians have made a shoddy compromise and shoehorned the stadium into the smaller area of VWN and I think it is less than ideal. If we want to build a stadium do it properly.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
perseus said:
No and they won't. (To do so would be to admit that the Albion needed a new stadium.)

I won't be happy if the South Downs lobby did either. (They would muck it up.)

I would be happy if anybody with any political clout appraised the situation as an alternative by approaching the Albion directly, which is the decent thing to do.

Should anybody approach me (and they haven't) these would be my conditions.

If when the appraisal came down to it that Village Way South would be a better bet, I would have no objection. VWS is bigger and better.

I think that the politicians have made a shoddy compromise and shoehorned the stadium into the smaller area of VWN and I think it is less than ideal. If we want to build a stadium do it properly.

Just who the f*** do you think you are Andy?

You say "should anyone approach you" ? I take it you are a qualified surveyor who has done all the testings of this fictitious site, I take it you are a qualified accountant who has costed this, I take it you are a qualified Transport consultant who has looked at this site.....I thought not

There are going to be a lot of people on here and generally who love this club through and through who are depending on the Falmer Application going through finally....if Pende is brought up by ANY OF THE INTERESTED PARTIES and Falmer is turned down because of it...I think that all these people will be very cross indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here