Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Premier League Record

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
For once this isn't a dig at Manu Utd - all credit to them on 11 consecutive clean sheets; a pheonomenal achievement.

What bugs me is the phrase "New Premier League Record". So that's a record over 17 years? Not that impressive IMHO. Did football not exist pre Premier League? Shall we just discount 100 years of football beofre that?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Incredble achievement, but I am reliably informed (by my Man U supporting friend) that football did not exist before the creation of the Premier League.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Incredble achievement, but I am reliably informed (by my Man U supporting friend) that football did not exist before the creation of the Premier League.

Your friend who presumably was born and bred in Brighton?

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006

I get told the same thing every day by a Man U 'supporter' born and bred in Slough who has never seen his team play. His (and mine at the moment) local team Slough Town suffer in exile with little hope of return soon as he bangs on about the progress of English football and how great it all is...

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Your friend who presumably was born and bred in Brighton?

Slightly closer to Manchester actually, Burton-on-trent, Staffordshire (nearest league clubs are Stoke, Walsall, West Brom, Aston Villa, Wolves, Crewe, etc, etc...).

I get told the same thing every day by a Man U 'supporter' born and bred in Slough who has never seen his team play. His (and mine at the moment) local team Slough Town suffer in exile with little hope of return soon as he bangs on about the progress of English football and how great it all is...

When I read these kinds of posts I feel so lucky... of my friends there's a couple of Cambridge United fans, a Hearts fan, and a Villa fan (who was born in Macclesfield and follows them, so at least acknowledges the existance of the Football League). While I knew a couple of Premiership 'fans' at University, I don't see them enough now for it to bother me...

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
When I read these kinds of posts I feel so lucky... of my friends there's a couple of Cambridge United fans, a Hearts fan, and a Villa fan (who was born in Macclesfield and follows them, so at least acknowledges the existance of the Football League). While I knew a couple of Premiership 'fans' at University, I don't see them enough now for it to bother me...

Interesting, I am the opposite. All my freinds from Sussex support the big teams, whilst at University I met a Brizzle City fan, a Torquay fan, Brizzle Rovers, Worcester and loads of other fans of local teams.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Interesting, I am the opposite. All my freinds from Sussex support the big teams, whilst at University I met a Brizzle City fan, a Torquay fan, Brizzle Rovers, Worcester and loads of other fans of local teams.

Teams nearer to your mate than Man Utd.

1. Derby County
2. Nottingham Forest
3. Notts County
4. Leicester
5. Stoke City
6. Walsall
7. Wolverhampton Wanderers
8. Aston Villa
9. Birmingham City
10. Crewe Alexander
11. Macclesfield
12. Chester City
13. Mansfield Town
14. Chesterfield
15. Tranmere Rovers
16. Stockport County
17. Sheffield United
18. Sheffield Wednesday

Spoilt for choice there

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I don't see the problem and never have.

Where does it say you have to support your nearest team? All my football-loving mates support teams further away than our local team which is Gillingham. There are Uniteds, Spurs, Hammers, Chelsea, Arsenal, Wolves, Derby, Leeds and plenty more. So what?

I couldn't care less who they support and feel they are perfectly entitled to support whoever they want, regardless of reason or location.

I support Brighton but Gillingham, Palace, Southend and all the London clubs are nearer.

Should I drop my allegiance to the Albion and pick one of those so that I conform to the 'rules'?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006

Where does it say you have to support your nearest team? All my football-loving mates support teams further away than our local team which is Gillingham. There are Uniteds, Spurs, Hammers, Chelsea, Arsenal, Wolves, Derby, Leeds and plenty more. So what?

I couldn't care less who they support and feel they are perfectly entitled to support whoever they want, regardless of reason or location.

I support Brighton but Gillingham, Palace, Southend and all the London clubs are nearer.

Should I drop my allegiance to the Albion and pick one of those so that I conform to the 'rules'?

Yes.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

I dont think its really ever been a nearest team thing, its the reason behind supporting a team - is it due to birth, family, etc or is it just because said team is the best at the time.

I must say I do feel priviledged to have been growing up when you didnt know which of 15 or so teams would win the top league instead of 3.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I dont think its really ever been a nearest team thing, its the reason behind supporting a team - is it due to birth, family, etc or is it just because said team is the best at the time.

I must say I do feel priviledged to have been growing up when you didnt know which of 15 or so teams would win the top league instead of 3.

I don't think it matters what the reason is - every individual is entitled to support who thay choose.

I do agree about enjoying the times when you really didn't know who would win the top league.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
For once this isn't a dig at Manu Utd - all credit to them on 11 consecutive clean sheets; a pheonomenal achievement.

What bugs me is the phrase "New Premier League Record". So that's a record over 17 years? Not that impressive IMHO. Did football not exist pre Premier League? Shall we just discount 100 years of football beofre that?

British Record (all competitive games)
Chris Woods (Rangers) 1196 minutes from 26/11/86 to 31/1/87

Football League
Steve Death (Reading) 1103 minutes from 24/3/79 to 18/8/79

Edwin Van Der Sar is currently on 1031 minutes so he needs a couple more clean sheets to beat Woods' record.

I'm pretty sure we've had this debate before. I don't per se have a problem with people supporting whoever they want (hell, I don't live in Brighton, and never have! I'm not a hypocrite). I just don't understand how people can claim to 'support' a team when they've never made an effort to go to a game or get in any way 'involved' with the club.

The reason I support Brighton is because my Dad does, and he's from the region. I go to as many away games as I can afford (which is sadly not many), and a few home games, I write letters in support of the club, I do what I can. At University I had a friend who was a Man Utd fan for the same reason (his Dad was, somewhat unbelievably, a Utd fan who was from Manchester). But he'd never set foot in Manchester and had never been to a Utd game. It just makes no sense to me. And yet he'd insist we went to the pub to watch Man Utd vs Liverpool (or Chelsea, or Arsenal, only the big teams), and would turn up in his replica Man Utd shirt and rant and rave at the TV. Why do that and not go to games or get involved?

I just really don't understand. :down:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Well I'm not going to, so you'll have to put up with the awful fact that someone who lives 100 miles way supports the same team as you. You'll probably need counselling!

I'm booking it right now.

Its traumatic enough me living in Southend and following Brighton! we really should rent a Church hall and hold a support meeting!

I'll bet you have some sort of connection with Gods own city though i.e born there or Dad from there or something. Unfortunately Brighton are not the sort of team whose achievements on the pitch attract support from across the country although that said there is another Albion fan here in Saafend whose entire family follow Brighton even though none of them has any connections with it which is highly unusual.

I suppose my point is that supporting a big team purely because they are a big team is just lazy and self serving and String's mate from Burton-upon Trent is obviously the most disgusting example of this that has ever drawn breath!

I guess you don't get my sense of humour.

Oh, and in answer to the OP, while I know what you mean with regards to Sky etc trying to make out football never existed pre-1992, at the same time they like any excuse to trot out 'and that's a new record'. Just look at cricket... 'and that's the best 5th wicket partnership for England at the Oval against the Windies in the second innings on the 5th day of an autumn test match in the 3rd test of the series'.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004

Your view is slightly biased as you have openly admitted to being a Man Utd "follower" on here.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I'm pretty sure we've had this debate before. I don't per se have a problem with people supporting whoever they want (hell, I don't live in Brighton, and never have! I'm not a hypocrite). I just don't understand how people can claim to 'support' a team when they've never made an effort to go to a game or get in any way 'involved' with the club.

The reason I support Brighton is because my Dad does, and he's from the region. I go to as many away games as I can afford (which is sadly not many), and a few home games, I write letters in support of the club, I do what I can. At University I had a friend who was a Man Utd fan for the same reason (his Dad was, somewhat unbelievably, a Utd fan who was from Manchester). But he'd never set foot in Manchester and had never been to a Utd game. It just makes no sense to me. And yet he'd insist we went to the pub to watch Man Utd vs Liverpool (or Chelsea, or Arsenal, only the big teams), and would turn up in his replica Man Utd shirt and rant and rave at the TV. Why do that and not go to games or get involved?

I just really don't understand. :down:

But you don't need to understand. Everyone has their own reasons and they are entitled to them. And if the reason is simply because they are the best team in the country, so what?

Enjoy* who you support, why you support them and how you support them. No-one else matters do they?

*(If that word is appropriate to the Albion at the moment!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here