Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Premier League Record

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Everyone is free to choose to "support" whomever they please. It's just that some choices make you a wanker. :thumbsup:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Your view is slightly biased as you have openly admitted to being a Man Utd "follower" on here.

Really? Well he's just gone to the top of the lazy list even above String's mate from Burton-upon-Trent!

Disgusting.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I'm booking it right now.

Its traumatic enough me living in Southend and following Brighton! we really should rent a Church hall and hold a support meeting!

I'll bet you have some sort of connection with Gods own city though i.e born there or Dad from there or something. Unfortunately Brighton are not the sort of team whose achievements on the pitch attract support from across the country although that said there is another Albion fan here in Saafend whose entire family follow Brighton even though none of them has any connections with it which is highly unusual.

I suppose my point is that supporting a big team purely because they are a big team is just lazy and self serving and String's mate from Burton-upon Trent is obviously the most disgusting example of this that has ever drawn breath!

I guess you don't get my sense of humour.

I did get it, and I'll see you in your church hall with the other bloke!

As I have said above, why worry? Just ignore others and enjoy your team/support.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I couldn't care less who they support and feel they are perfectly entitled to support whoever they want, regardless of reason or location.

I think it's pretty lame when people 'buy in' to a successful club* (not something you can accuse too many Albion fans of, in fairness!).

If there's no genuine attachment, it's a pretty weak relationship between fan and club, imo.

I mean, I could purchase a Brazil shirt later today, read all ther match reports, watch every match on tele and even go to see them (at the Emirates).

But I have no ties to the country, so watching them win the World Cup wouldn't be the same as seeing England or Albion lift a trophy. And I couldn't pretend it meant as much to me as someone from the back streets of Rio.

* I know many Everton fans who come from the south of England. They're ALL in their early to mid 30s. Funny that!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Everyone is free to choose to "support" whomever they please. It's just that some choices make you a wanker. :thumbsup:

And they make you look like Karen Mattews mongo boyfriend being led away in cuffs for pervery in his replica Man Shit top.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
But you don't need to understand. Everyone has their own reasons and they are entitled to them. And if the reason is simply because they are the best team in the country, so what?

Do you have Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool tops alongside the Man Utd shirts in your wardrobe - just in case, like?

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Your view is slightly biased as you have openly admitted to being a Man Utd "follower" on here.

And I'll happily admit it again.

Couldn't care less what anyone else thinks and it's nothing to do with being biased. I started following United in 1957after seeing them in the Cup Final - when I had no idea where Manchester was and didn't even know Brighton and Hove Albion existed!

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Do you have Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool tops alongside the Man Utd shirts in your wardrobe - just in case, like?

Your comment is exactly the childish nonsense I simply don't understand.

I have one replica shirt in my wardrobe - FDM's. It's the only one I've ever had and it doesn't fit!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I think it's pretty lame when people 'buy in' to a successful club* (not something you can accuse too many Albion fans of, in fairness!).

If there's no genuine attachment, it's a pretty weak relationship between fan and club, imo.

I mean, I could purchase a Brazil shirt later today, read all ther match reports, watch every match on tele and even go to see them (at the Emirates).

But I have no ties to the country, so watching them win the World Cup wouldn't be the same as seeing England or Albion lift a trophy. And I couldn't pretend it meant as much to me as someone from the back streets of Rio.

!

The analogy for choosing to support a big club, rather than the Albion ,that I prefer is: Its like marrying a bird just because she looks amazing has enormous norks and is great in bed rather than settling for a flat chested ginger pubed manic depressive who keeps pissing in your slippers when your not looking and slagging you off in front of your pals.

The only downside is that the Big norked bird costs you a fortune to support has shagged all your mates and doesn't love you in the slightest, whilst ginger droop appreciates the fact that you care and every now and again she does something that makes you so proud of her you want to cry.

Oh, and none of your mates will try it on with her.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
And I'll happily admit it again.

Couldn't care less what anyone else thinks and it's nothing to do with being biased. I started following United in 1957after seeing them in the Cup Final - when I had no idea where Manchester was and didn't even know Brighton and Hove Albion existed!

And all credit to you that you decided that supporting Brighton was the way forward.

It those that haven't realised the error of their ways that I can't take.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The analogy for choosing to support a big club, rather than the Albion ,that I prefer is: Its like marrying a bird just because she looks amazing has enormous norks and is great in bed rather than settling for a flat chested ginger pubed manic depressive who keeps pissing in your slippers when your not looking and slagging you off in front of your pals.

The only downside is that the Big norked bird costs you a fortune to support has shagged all your mates and doesn't love you in the slightest, whilst ginger droop appreciates the fact that you care and every now and again she does something that makes you so proud of her you want to cry.

Sums it up perfectly.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I don't think it matters what the reason is - every individual is entitled to support who thay choose.

I do agree about enjoying the times when you really didn't know who would win the top league.

Sorry mate, it matters to me when we can't fill withdean, we need to more or less double our support when we get falmer & 3/4 of sussex are parading around in man u,liverpool, Chelsea shirts.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

:lolol:

Brilliant, but true.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Sorry mate, it matters to me when we can't fill withdean, we need to more or less double our support when we get falmer & 3/4 of sussex are parading around in man u,liverpool, Chelsea shirts.

I agree with you, but how do you MAKE kids support the Albion when they can watch the top teams playing great football every week?

It is an understandable choice for a kid to support someone in the top division who is successful. I'm lucky that my son decided to follow me and support the Albion, but I wouldn't have blamed him for choosing a much better team.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006

:clap: Glory hunting is killing English football.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
you can't make them do anything, you can only hope that when they are old enough, they actually go to watch their local team & hence start supporting a team they actually have an affinity with rather than millionaires on the telly that play 400 miles away.

For once this isn't a dig at Manu Utd - all credit to them on 11 consecutive clean sheets; a pheonomenal achievement.

What bugs me is the phrase "New Premier League Record". So that's a record over 17 years? Not that impressive IMHO. Did football not exist pre Premier League? Shall we just discount 100 years of football beofre that?

Well, it seems you are over-blowing the 'Premier League' part in this.
If that's the record, then surely that means it's not as great as an all-time Prem/First Division record in all football history. See, it depends how you read it.
Now if you want to, you can ignore this new 'record' altogether if it doesn't stretch back through league history.

You'd probably find that an all-time clean sheet record was probably set in 1907 in the 3rd Division North by Leatherhead or something similar in age.
Such a league record might be diminished, because of the number and range of teams competing, and the time in the game.

This brings to mind Romario of Brazil, who lays claim to having scored 1,000 goals. It's his own goal-count, not an official one, and perhaps he counts a couple of deflections and some low-league strikes - thus spreading a little mist of doubt over the achievement.
United's record will be more reliable for being recent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here