Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'New' NSC

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Just getting used to the new NSC.

First thoughts - ok and it works quicker.

I used to use the "User CP" to keep an eye on my posts. Is this facility still available?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just getting used to the new NSC.

First thoughts - ok and it works quicker.

I used to use the "User CP" to keep an eye on my posts. Is this facility still available?

Sure - click on 'Settings' in small black at the top right, which will take you to your User CP.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Still no 'reputation' offerings though. I guess that's more strategy than aesthetics.

User reputation? This version does have that - I'll explore it in due course.

Is there absolutely ANY chance, Bozza, that you could enable the old original NSC skin* to be an option, like you did with the last upgrade? I've had the same skin the whole way through my time using NSC, and it's what keeps it looking different to every other vBulletin forum, for me. (to my embarrassment, I'm on quite few forums, most of which look identical to this!) If it's not possible, no worries of course.

*said original skin

827.jpg

None of the old skins work with this new version so would need to be built from scratch. I'll see what I can do, but it won't top the priority list for a while.

Also, is there an ispy tool where one can look at a scrolling page of new posts? I find this very useful on other forums.
Cheers.

I've seen the 'forum spy' thing elsewhere too - I'll take a look...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
now I'v got used to this one ......I rather like it

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
NSC no longer remembers me, I have to log in every time.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
How about this for a ridiculous moan!

When you get to the bottom of a page, you have a quick navigation thing which was always handy for going back to the front page. Nowadays though the 'go' has disappeared.

Seriously, I often wonder about myself.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I thought I was on the satellites.co.uk forum for a brief instant. Looks nice.:thumbsup:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I really like the 'top' button just above the quick reply box. I know we've always had a top button, it is now in a much more convenient place (it used to be right at the bottom of the page). Can we keep this, pretty please?

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
User reputation? This version does have that - I'll explore it in due course.

I wouldn't put Reputation system up, its a load of bollocks to be honest, people would only judge people by how many Rep points they had. It would be the same case as that problem with people judged by the size of their post count.

Otherwise it still looks nice, puts every other single League 1 forum in their place.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
People that have not worked with busy websites do not have a clue. Administrating a website like this can become a complete nightmare and take up all your time.
Not only has bozza had to install the new scripts, but he has also had to transfer the old database over too, and since this is a new version of vbulletin I can bet you the database structure is slightly different to the old one, so he probably had to convert it.

On top of this I don't think people realise the amount of load that a forum like this places on the server especially the database because thats where all the load is. More load = More CPU and More memory and sometimes even getting a bigger server does not solve the problem. Sometimes its the database queries that need optimising so NSC has done very well.

I would like to know how big the db is. The largest Mysql DB I have worked on is 2.5GB when I was admin of a busy site, I can bet you NSC comes close because we must have 7-8 years worth of data in the tables.

Good job bozza.

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I wouldn't put Reputation system up, its a load of bollocks to be honest, people would only judge people by how many Rep points they had. It would be the same case as that problem with people judged by the size of their post count.

Otherwise it still looks nice, puts every other single League 1 forum in their place.

It definitely adds an edge to it but I think it makes people think more before posting and people raise their game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here