Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Moves On Albion Stadium

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My language about this is unprintable... it's beyond a disgrace that LDC can do what they are doing, and ultimately it's even more of a disgrace that the Government have let these acts of total anti-democracy take place.

Who on EARTH actually voted for Labour? Make no mistake this Government has not helped this process by ANY stretch of the imagination...

This all reminds me of how Bellotti got the flack (and rightly so) for AGES before people realised Archer was the main culprit.
And how the FA did FA before realising what was really going on here.

FFS it's just not on...

How can those pratts at LDC sleep at night?

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Originally posted by The Oldman Lewes will present new evidence to show that Sheepcote is OK in transport terms.
Not quite sure what "new evidence" LDC could come up with. Sheepcote was utterly smashed to bits at the re-opened Inquiry last time, on transport alone. Everything from the narrow residential road network that leads to it which all but rules out cars. The completely impractical / implausible distance to walk from the nearest railway station (Brighton), the monstrous number of additional Park & Ride buses that would have to be found from somewhere in order to cope with potentially 20-odd thousand fans trying to get there by bus, as well as all the additional bus drivers who would suddenly be needed to cope with the Park & Ride (but only every other week or so during the football season). And thats before you consider that Sheepcote is (a) a landfill site and so not appropriate for a large scale building development such as this, and (b) that (unlike Falmer) it is currently a much loved (and much USED) nature reserve for locals.

Apart from that though, yes, Sheepcote is perfect.

Last edited:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Theatre of Trees said:
But how is Sheepcote better in transport terms? No matter how much you spin the fact the links are poor and will not cope with the traffic. In fact I can't help feeling that LDC are actually shafting Falmer by supporting this site because it will only make the traffic worse at the intersection on the A27 as all those heading north will exit via Woodingdean.

Exactly. As I said above, LDC must now make their case.

Where exactly will you get the potential of 22,000 fans getting to Sheepcoat. I'll tell you how, by car. How else? There is no railway station, its not by any motorway access point. Drivers from Lewes and NE Sussex will really clog up the Falmer to Woodingdean road. Drivers from the London road end, will either drive into central Brighton and along madeira drive or join the A27 and go up the Falmer road. Then you have drivers that will come in from East and west. Then where do you park that lot.

Believe me, if you give people the slightest chance that they can drive somewhere and not have any kind of public transport in place, then drive they will.

Having bus after bus going to the stadium will not work. There would need to be plenty of park and rides, plus park and ride at Brighton station. Thats if you can guarantee the number of buses and drivers on any given Saturday.

the alternative is Falmer. Its not perfect, but its got a railways station and that is it major major plus point.

I think we have won the argument for a new stadium, its where now. Falmer beats Sheepcoat hands over fist.

Why would there need to be a further inquiry. Unless, LDC can come up with some startling new evidence that football fans can just be beamed to the stadium.

As for delaying, the only ones who can say enough is enough is the Govt. Once all parties have had their say, then its for Govt to weigh up the evidence and speak its mind and say no more inquiries this is the decision. And if LDC still want to try it, then a watertight case may even make LDC wince at the cost of taking on the GOvt and losing.

It was the fact that last time Prescotts decision was far from watertight which has resulted in us being back here.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
When we played at The Goldstone, I came by train. When we were at Gillingham I went by coach. Now we are at Withdean I come by train.
If we end up at Whitehawk, I will drive via Falmer and Woodingdean and make as much noise and fumes as I can. Grr!!

Yoda

English & European
dougdeep said:

If we end up at Whitehawk, I will drive via Falmer and Woodingdean and make as much noise and fumes as I can. Grr!!

:ohmy:

Maybe thats what it is. Lewes DC aren't GREEN? Think of all the CO2 made by all the cars going there.

Yoda

English & European
LDC. For Falmer site:

173_385%20Falmer.jpg

or

_1877162_works300.jpg

YOU DECIDE!!!

mdotw

Aug 20, 2003
Not living in Brighton anymore my understanding from family on a good turnout on a race day 3000 to 3500 people clog up the roads in all directions, what the hell will happen when you have x3 or x4 that many people?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I'm really depressed by this too. I really thought we were winning when Lewes threw in the towel over the High Court case; but now I am not so sure.

And to be frank, the reason is not just Lewes DC, its because Ruth Kelly is a dithery old toss pot who cannot make up her mind about anything.

I KNEW as soon as Lewes asked for a delay they'd get it. And what will happen now is shitloads of complete wanky-bollocks will be produced from some arsehole of a traffic consultant.

The Albion and Brighton Council will then contest this evidence or ask for more time to employ their own consultants to refute Lewes's.

And Ruth Kelly will then either throw her hands up in the air and reopen the inquiry because she can't make up her mind; or she'll side with Lewes because its now getting to be the easy option and she can't stand the grief. Say what you like about Prescott but at least he had some bottle.

Brighton & Hove Albion RIP

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
More pressure must be applied to individual members of Lewes District Council. Surely it is time for some kind of proper protest in Lewes?

I personally feel that whilst all the efforts that have been have been great that some sort of direct action that really showed the people involved the strength of the feeling on this would go a long way to scaring Lewes off.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Theatre of Trees said:
But how is Sheepcote better in transport terms? No matter how much you spin the fact the links are poor and will not cope with the traffic. In fact I can't help feeling that LDC are actually shafting Falmer by supporting this site because it will only make the traffic worse at the intersection on the A27 as all those heading north will exit via Woodingdean.

You know that. I know that. But Lewes got a consultant to say at the last Inquiry that it was not so.
You engage consultants to prove your case. That is what Lewes DC will do again. Does not matter that the facts are distorted. Ruth Kelly will be faced with 2 opposing views. I do not believe she and her advisors will have any alternative but to call for a new Inquiry otherwise her decision will be subject to a JR challenge.

Dec 27, 2005
BRIGHTO KEMP TOWN
As the interested parties are allowed to put their views on the Falmer site to Ruth Kelly, does that mean that interested parties on the Sheepcote site can put their views too?
SO WHAT are the views of the Brighton Marina Company, the two development companies building the Roaring Fourties complex, the new Asda store and apartments, Walmart, owners of Asda, the developers of the new ice rink/conference hall, Roedean school, Friends of Sheepcote valley, Sussex County Hospital, Kemptown society, Roedean fire station?.
All of these are within three quarters of a mile of Sheepcote and would be affected by the traffic as there is no other way to get to Sheepcote apart from the half-hourly 21 bus. Time for them to speak out or forever hold their peace!!!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
This is just beyond belief. Real local democracy in action. I'm lost for f***ing words.
I just cannot for the life of me understand why those f***ing arseholes of LDC can cause so much grief to the people of Brighton. Plus they just don't get it. The Albion belongs to Sussex & Falmer is just the f***ing opposite of an area of outstanding natural beauty.
It's just a feeling of anger & depression & I can't see an end to it all.
They want to kill our club; they just won't admit it. I f***ing hate them.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
smudge said:
This is just beyond belief. Real local democracy in action. I'm lost for f***ing words.
I just cannot for the life of me understand why those f***ing arseholes of LDC can cause so much grief to the people of Brighton. Plus they just don't get it. The Albion belongs to Sussex & Falmer is just the f***ing opposite of an area of outstanding natural beauty.
It's just a feeling of anger & depression & I can't see an end to it all.
They want to kill our club; they just won't admit it. I f***ing hate them.
My feelings exactly.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Screaming J said:
Brighton & Hove Albion RIP

Don't worry everyone: Screaming J is a pessimistic bastard at the best of times!

However -- I think he's right when he says this is just as much a Ruth Kelly issue as it is once brought about by Lewes DC. The Sussex MPs and other key Labour figures (Ivor Caplin, anyone?) really need to have a word with Ms K's political advisers, to tell her what's going on.

All off the record, of course.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Don't worry everyone: Screaming J is a pessimistic bastard at the best of times!

However -- I think he's right when he says this is just as much a Ruth Kelly issue as it is once brought about by Lewes DC. The Sussex MPs and other key Labour figures (Ivor Caplin, anyone?) really need to have a word with Ms K's political advisers, to tell her what's going on.

All off the record, of course.

This is what's bugging me....surely they should have put their points across by now. What's the point of B&H electing THREE labour Mps if they can't get a simple message to Ruth K???

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
The error in Prescott's approval of the stadium (the built up area) was so inept. The conspiracy theorist in me suspects that it was deliberate because New Labour didn't want to upset the so-called environmental lobby - regardless of the fact that two sprawling universities have destroyed the natural beauty of the valley.
I suppose we are all meant to be happy because we will be paying for the London Olympics and can forget the removal of professional football from Sussex as yet another stadium will go up on an old industrial site - that is all that new stadiums are for anyway.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Mark Ormerod's Gloves said:
we will fight on and win this battle...
I hope so but I don't want to hear any more complacent talk about how favourable certain politicians are towards us. Ruth Kelly is unimpressive and we are up against that bulwark of English culture: the nimby pseudo-village with its church and duckpond .

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
This is beyond me. I honestly don't know what to think any more, but there are some things I do know

1) I hate LDC
2) I hate LDC
3) I hate LDC
4) It's midnight
5) I hate LDC
6) I hate John Prescott
7) I hate LDC
8) I love BHAFC
9) I hate LDC
10) I'm off to bed now, with hatred in my heart

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
The Oldman said:
I fear you are being too optimistic. As even Lord B has said the likely outcome is that Ruth Kelly will be presented with 2 different scenarios. Lewes will present new evidence to show that Sheepcote is OK in transport terms. Brighton and the Albion will put up a rebuff. Ruth Kelly will have to order a new inquiry to resolve the conflict, otherwise Lewes will go to Judicial Review and say she did not properly consider their evidence. New Inquiry late 2007 early 2008. Decision mid 2008. Assuming it is in favour of Falmer then there will be another protest by Lewes DC............ If it is in favour of Sheepcote what will Brighton and the Albion do? Whatever it will take some time.

Lewes are winning let their be no mistake.

Maybe i'm getting old too but that seems the most accurate post on the subject yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here