Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Bluejuice said:
RIP Brighton & Hove Albion?

really starting to feel that way

:(

Why?

Apart from another 2 month delay, nothing changed today.

Don't be fooled by the LDC nonsense in that "news" report. Councillor Neighbour has difficulty grasping reality, as he has shown on many occasions.

It will be interesting to see what new information they try to present. Surely it's inadmissible at this stage? Lord B?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The article is a rehash of this;

Government in Falmer Rethink

The Government has confirmed it will look again at alternative sites for the Albion stadium.

The High Court quashed John Prescott’s discredited decision a month ago prompting a new approach by his successor Ruth Kelly.

In a letter to all parties this week Ruth Kelly singles out Sheepcote Valley for special consideration. She has dismissed objections by the Albion’s solicitors and has set a deadline of 15 February 2007 for further representations.

David Neighbour, Planning Lead Councillor for Lewes District Council said:
“John Prescott made a political decision which ignored established national policies. He disregarded advice from two senior independent inspectors when he granted planning permission for the Falmer site. Now the Government needs to show it will respect its own national planning policies and not bend to local political pressure.”

David Neighbour said: “The people who do the business planning for the club took a big gamble when they pitched for the Falmer site. They knew that they were taking a big risk with the Club’s money going for a site in the proposed National Park. We are not surprised that the government now realises it should look again at the alternatives. The Club and Brighton and Hove City Council should have given more serious consideration to alternatives from the start. Perhaps the truth is they saw the Falmer site as the cheap option.”

David Neighbour added: “The recent revelations about the Albion’s proposal to locate a hotel with the stadium must be a factor in the decision. The Club kept their consultant’s report a secret in the resumed inquiry and never mentioned where they would locate the hotel if they got the Falmer site. It’s no surprise to us that their own consultants said that Sheepcote was the best location for a combined Stadium and hotel development.”

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Where's that article from UB?

Woodchip said:
Where's Lord B when you want him?!?!
At work.

Busy.

At Millwall this evening.

Don't panic about what LDC think is the "substance" of this. It's no more substantial than anything else they've ever produced.

The delay is the thing that gets me down. And the fact that LDC are going to be wasting more of my council tax in employing transport and planning consultants, despite the promise they made a year ago that they wouldn't.

Having seen the correspondence between LDC and Ruth Kelly's Department that was sent out to all interested parties yesterday, it is quite clear that there are some aspects of the process that LDC simply haven't understood. Fortunately the letter puts them right on that score.

Not that their press statement gives that impression at all.

I'll say more when I get back from Millwall.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Uncle Buck said:
David Neighbour, Planning Lead Councillor for Lewes District Council said:
“.......The Club and Brighton and Hove City Council should have given more serious consideration to alternatives from the start. Perhaps the truth is they saw the Falmer site as the cheap option.”

Yes, I am sure they never seriously considered any of the other sites. :dunce:

There isn't really a cheap option, is there Mr Neighbour!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
Where's that article from UB?

That I am struggling on, when of the journo's that posts on here forwarded it to me, not sure where it is from originally.

On the subject of Sheepcote, is there not an issue that it is technically contaminated land and getting planning permission would be an issue as nobody has all the records as to what has been dumped / stored within the land?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Lord Bracknell said:
At work.

Busy.

At Millwall this evening.

Don't panic about what LDC think is the "substance" of this. It's no more substantial than anything else they've ever produced.

The delay is the thing that gets me down. And the fact that LDC are going to be wasting more of my council tax in employing transport and planning consultants, despite the promise they made a year ago that they wouldn't.

Having seen the correspondence between LDC and Ruth Kelly's Department that was sent out to all interested parties yesterday, it is quite clear that there are some aspects of the process that LDC simply haven't understood. Fortunately the letter puts them right on that score.

Not that their press statement gives that impression at all.

I'll say more when I get back from Millwall.

So it's not panic stations then?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
algie said:
So it's not panic stations then?

I guess we have just heard LDC's version, and they are notoriously unreliable. Let's take a deep breath and wait for Lord B, and the club's official response.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
it sounds like LDC are pressing for sheepcote and ruth kelly just wants to see why sheepcote isn't a viable site

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I'm so behind the drag curve on this but what did the inspector say was the best Alternative ? Surely if it was sheepcote we are f***ed ?:nono:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
moggy said:
it sounds like LDC are pressing for sheepcote and ruth kelly just wants to see why sheepcote isn't a viable site

That's how it sounds to me. Just as long as we can convince her without her feeling the need for a Public Inquiry to look purely at Sheepcote.

What angers me though is how the government seem to be blind (or perhaps powerless) when it comes to LDC running roughshod over the planning process. Legal challenges and discussion are not in place to give someone the opportunity to continually delay something for an eternity. Why can't they just see what is happening here, and say "ENOUGH".

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Gritt23 said:
That's how it sounds to me. Just as long as we can convince her without her feeling the need for a Public Inquiry to look purely at Sheepcote.

What angers me though is how the government seem to be blind (or perhaps powerless) when it comes to LDC running roughshod over the planning process. Legal challenges and discussion are not in place to give someone the opportunity to continually delay something for an eternity. Why can't they just see what is happening here, and say "ENOUGH".

Agree but very annoyed with the stadium delay. More money down the drain for the Seagulls, and those poor residents (except the Anti-Falmer mob) of Lewes District. :nono:

Rougvie said:
I'm so behind the drag curve on this but what did the inspector say was the best Alternative ? Surely if it was sheepcote we are f***ed ?:nono:
Inspector Briar said there was NO alternative to Falmer that had any realistic prospect of getting planning permission.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Rougvie said:

I thought you had FLOUNCED off?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
He added: "The recent revelations about the Albion's proposal to locate a hotel with the stadium must be a factor in the decision. The Club kept their consultant's report a secret in the resumed inquiry and never mentioned where they would locate the hotel if they got the Falmer site. It's no surprise to us that their own consultants said that Sheepcote was the best location for a combined Stadium and hotel development."

BECAUSE THAT ONLY CONCERNED THE SHEEPCOTE SITE!

:angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here