Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New manager to be announced on TUESDAY *~*~*

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
As I said, unlike Dick Knight, Bloom doesn't tell the Argus everything.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Tony Bloom is a champion poker player people. My guess is what came out in the Argus today is a bluff! I reckon G is right tomorrow or Wednesday.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
For what it's worth, I would love Curbishley to be appointed, bringing in his own coaching staff.

Though I think it will be highly unlikely, what a statement of intent that would make!

Results & performances are the bottom line. Though I liked Slade, his comments, obvious passion & most of his changes during close season, I felt that retaining White & Booker was a mistake - whether forced on Slade or not.

Too often over the last few seasons I would see some new players come in, play well & show promise in their first games then drop to the standard of the rest of the team. It was almost as if the ability they had been brought in to provide was coached out of them.

Was it last season that we had more than our fair share of hamstring / muscle injuries? Again, I felt that there must be something the coaches were doing (or not doing) which was causing this, as no other clubs seemed to be as affected as us.

I'm only a Level 1 FA Coach in youth football, but even with my limited experience and access to coaching materials, I felt there was something very wrong. Pro footballers should be able to pass, move and control a ball at the bare minimum (after all, that's all they have to do all week) but even this sometimes seemed beyond them.

When Johnny Byrne said on the Hartlepool commentary that you can't coach tight marking after we went 1-0 down on Saturday, I couldn't believe it! Coming from an ex-pro footballer that is gobsmackingly crass. Of course you can coach basics like that! I coach my Under 9s that kind of stuff week in / week out. If that's the level of understanding coming from ex-pro match analysts, no wonder we as paying supporters get so frustrated at the standard served up.

I don't know how many coaches are out there with the UEFA Pro licences, but I'd hope that the Club is setting minimum criteria for applicants in terms of qualifications and experience.

I'm sure he is, but if I were Bloom, I would be setting my expectations high if I'd sunk tens of millions into the Club (if not more).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
24 hours before I get my coat....

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Oh Giraffe, ... should be fine I don't think anyone's noticed!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Err............Palace relegated twice under him, Brighton relegated once under him, Reading relegated once under him, and he has gone into Manchester City history as their shortest serving manager, lasting a terrific 33 days.

........and of course there was that NINE goal thriller at Anfield too.

He got Palace promoted to the top division twice. He got them to the F.A cup final. He finished THIRD in the top flight. He kept them in the championship when they were in financial disarray and looked relegation bound. He kept them in the top flight for four consecutive seasons. That palace got relegated under him does not make him a bad manager. Palace aren't a big club, they're always going to be in the relegation battle in the top flight. Compare Coppell's record against other palace managers who've managed them there.

Reading? He got them promoted with a record number of points(106), 99 goals scored and a record unbeaten run(33 games). He then took Reading to 8th. Both seasons he won manager of the year. Then, yes, they got relegated. Finished fourth in the chanpionship in his final year.

Us? He DIDN'T get us relegated. Ten defeats in the first twelve games did that. That we briefly pulled ourselves out of the relegation zone is testament to his managerial skills. Look at his record over all his championship games with us, not just a certain period of them. His record over his 34 games was ten wins, 11 draws and thirteen defeats. It's fair to imagine that if he'd been manager from the start of the season we would have stayed up. I'm pretty sure he left us more than one point clear when he left us, but thats neither here nor there. He did leave us top.

Man City doesn't count. That was just a f*** up. Kind of like Brian Clough at Leeds. Did that make clough a poor manager?

So, he's got three relegations from the top flight to his name. On the flip side he's done excellently with sides in league one and the championship. With sides of a similar size to us. He's very good at finding quality players, getting them for cheap and selling them on for profit. He's very good at getting the best out of his players. He's won manager of the year at least twice. He sounds perfect fro a club like Brighton. We can worry about his premier league record once he's got us there...

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
He got Palace promoted to the top division twice. He got them to the F.A cup final. He finished THIRD in the top flight. He kept them in the championship when they were in financial disarray and looked relegation bound. He kept them in the top flight for four consecutive seasons. That palace got relegated under him does not make him a bad manager. Palace aren't a big club, they're always going to be in the relegation battle in the top flight. Compare Coppell's record against other palace managers who've managed them there.

Reading? He got them promoted with a record number of points(106), 99 goals scored and a record unbeaten run(33 games). He then took Reading to 8th. Both seasons he won manager of the year. Then, yes, they got relegated. Finished fourth in the chanpionship in his final year.

Us? He DIDN'T get us relegated. Ten defeats in the first twelve games did that. That we briefly pulled ourselves out of the relegation zone is testament to his managerial skills. Look at his record over all his championship games with us, not just a certain period of them. His record over his 34 games was ten wins, 11 draws and thirteen defeats. It's fair to imagine that if he'd been manager from the start of the season we would have stayed up. I'm pretty sure he left us more than one point clear when he left us, but thats neither here nor there. He did leave us top.

Man City doesn't count. That was just a f*** up. Kind of like Brian Clough at Leeds. Did that make clough a poor manager?

So, he's got three relegations from the top flight to his name. On the flip side he's done excellently with sides in league one and the championship. With sides of a similar size to us. He's very good at finding quality players, getting them for cheap and selling them on for profit. He's very good at getting the best out of his players. He's won manager of the year at least twice. He sounds perfect fro a club like Brighton. We can worry about his premier league record once he's got us there...

I think thats possibly the most intelligent post iv ever read on NSC.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
11:59 - do i risk missing the announcement and go and get my lunch?

what am I waiting for.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here