Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New CEO - Paul Barber

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[Whitecap] Club Lounges that offer dishes like prime rib or crab ravioli with the option of ordering right from your seat.

Yeah baby!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Masks can be worn to the match

Cool. I'll have to remove it when devouring my crab ravioli though.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Anyone saying they are going to make a Canadian team one of the 25 biggest clubs in the world worries me ... that they fell for it is hysterical and trust TB isn't quite as gullible

Hope it doesn't end up as tail wagging dog ... having good administrative and commercial management is a real plus, as long as it stays like that. But then I'm not really sure what the job is

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Anyone saying they are going to make a Canadian team one of the 25 biggest clubs in the world worries me ... that they fell for it is hysterical and trust TB isn't quite as gullible

Hope it doesn't end up as tail wagging dog ... having good administrative and commercial management is a real plus, as long as it stays like that. But then I'm not really sure what the job is

Post 122 gives the job description.

And it clearly says that the Chairman "will retain lead responsibility for all Player transactions and Management / Coaching appointments."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Post 122 gives the job description.

And it clearly says that the Chairman "will retain lead responsibility for all Player transactions and Management / Coaching appointments."

And from I can gather the primary issue with Barber at Vancouver centres around his sacking of a coach.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Vancouver boards are making me very nervous about this appointment. Sounds like all he did was alienate people :(

From what I have read it all went sour after he sacked a coach; and the issues with fans seem to be centred around this. He will not have such powers at the Albion. I personally found Perry abrasive and arrogant at times, and dismissive at others. Maybe TB has gone for a like-for-like hire? :smile:

Overall I feel indifferent to this appointment. I also cannot see Barber changing the current feel and culture of the club and I wonder how much direct difference we, the supporters, will actually notice.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The day we get too big billy big bollox about our pricing is the day we die. I guarantee it. Our growth is built on an attractive pricing model. Underestimate it at our peril. This is is s supply an demand business. Just look at blackburn next season for how wrong it can go.

Spot on. The reasonable prices coupled with the 12 month DD have made supporting Albion at the Amex totally affordable and good value. If either of these things were to disappear then so would the crowds.

We have a massive opportunity here to make BHAFC a decent sized club in 25-30 years time, the foundations are being laid at the moment and so far they've been spot on. As TCB said earlier our die hard crowd is still probably sub 10,000 but if the club continues to make bums on seats the priority rather than bleeding every penny out of the punters, then I've got no doubt that number will grow and keep on growing but not for a few years yet.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Only on NSC ...

The man hasn't even started the job yet and already he's going to put up prices, sack coaches, fall out with Gus, be abrasive, arrogant and dismissive, etc!!

Some of you must have a very low opinion of Tony, Derek Chapman, et al for making such a poor appointment!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Only on NSC ...

The man hasn't even started the job yet and already he's going to put up prices, sack coaches, fall out with Gus, be abrasive, arrogant and dismissive, etc!!

Some of you must have a very low opinion of Tony, Derek Chapman, et al for making such a poor appointment!

Absolutely. I can't understand the dickhead nature of some of our 'fans' sometimes.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Only on NSC ...

Cheers for the info re post 122, helpful.

In the defence of the "concern" I don't think it's unreasonable to have reservations. It's not a blindingly obvious choice and (only from what I've read from the links posted admittedly) TB is taking a bit of a risk, but then that's what TB seems to have a knack of doing well.

Jury's definitely out for me ... some of the stuff written reminds me of some particularly hopeless business people that are fairly commonly encountered in even the most successful organisations, they survive (for a while) based on a lot of hot air, excellent presentation and a knack of being able to convince others of their talent and ability to deliver. On the other hand he does have a good pedigree and I do "trust" TB to be a pretty hands on boss and not let anyone take the piss.

I don't really see anyone else saying too much different and nor should they .. he's here now and let's hope he's a huge success

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
There are ways of making more money other than just increasing prices - for example giving us (and other businesses and organisations) opportunities to spend money on a greater range of exciting things that we actually want. I imagine we're all already spending much more at the AMEX than we were at Withdean and I don't hear too many complaints. He'd be a pretty rubbish commercial manager if the only plan he could come up with was to increase prices!!!

Anyway, I trust TB completely, both to make a good appointment and not to let things happen that are bad for the fans and club.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The Vancouver boards are making me very nervous about this appointment. Sounds like all he did was alienate people :(

The way I see it, most of us will end up not liking this guy. At best we will be indifferent. Did people like Ken Brown? Mostly no. Did anyone really know what he did? Mostly no. Is there a Chief Executive at any club who is popular with the fans? I would think if they are an ex player like Matt Jackson at Wigan maybe, but other than that probably not. I can think of a few massively unpopular ones down the years, Kenyon, Risdale, Moxey, Bellotti etc.

So it is unlikely that Barber will be liked by the fans, even more so with us as any decisions we do not like we are liable to blame on him, as we all (quite rightly) think the sun shines out Bloom's backside so nothing could possibly be his fault.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What people seem to be ignoring is the fact that football in this country is a national sport and we are all well aware of it. That is not so in Vancouver where it is still a minority sport and to sell it over there is more difficult. He has proved to be effective when employed by Spurs so I would expect him to do similar with us. How about waiting until he actually starts before giving opinions on his ability or lack of.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Only on NSC ...

Whilst it's good to be wary of change, let's give the bloke a chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here