Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New CEO - Paul Barber

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This. I fear some are going to get priced out of regularly going to the Albion - especially if we do make it to the so called "Promised Land".

Would TB be so dumb?

The market for paying football here is far far smaller than the London catchment of London and the home counties for those long suffering ripped off Arsenal & Spurs fans.

There were plenty of empty seats at Amex league games last year, and any exponential hikes in prices over 2 or 3 years, would simply lead to mass non-renewals.

TB would rather see 25,000 season ticket holders paying a reasonable sum, than 15,000 prepared to pay high sums.

Happy times to continue.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Don't necessarily agree.

If it was down to Azure, for instance, we'd have expensive crap beer. TB has made sure we don't.

Bit different. Azure are to all intents and purposes a contractor. I think people are a little confused about what this guy's role will be. He will be running the show on a day to day basis, all aspects. Bloom will get involved if things go wrong, and expect regular reports etc, but the new guy has the reins and will drive the strategy.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a very high calibre candidate in this age of football, and I'd much rather have that than someone who was crap. But this age of football involves fleecing people to the n'th degree, and he's good at it, and has a track record to that effect, so that's what I expect.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Well done Paul - I'm sure David Davies put in a good word too.

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend two books 'Build a Bonfire' & 'We Want Falmer' as a good way of understanding our history as you begin to chart our future.

Good luck in your new role. I am sure the Albion is in safe hands.

He's already a member and reading NSC?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bit different. Azure are to all intents and purposes a contractor. I think people are a little confused about what this guy's role will be. He will be running the show on a day to day basis, all aspects. Bloom will get involved if things go wrong, and expect regular reports etc, but the new guy has the reins and will drive the strategy.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is a very high calibre candidate in this age of football, and I'd much rather have that than someone who was crap. But this age of football involves fleecing people to the n'th degree, and he's good at it, and has a track record to that effect, so that's what I expect.

You believe that price hikes are part of his remit?

I know it's all about opinions, but I can't see Tony going for that. I'm just imagining the boardroom meetings where Derek Chapman hears how fans are about to be fleeced...

Still, the bloke doesn't even start for another three weeks, and we're already arguing the toss...

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I get the feeling that this guy is going to be gone within 6 months. I don't have a reason to believe so, its just a hunch.

Feel free to bounce this if Paul Barber takes over the world, declaring Gus as World President after developing the Amex into a 300,000 seat fortress in five years time.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I heard Palace had appointed an ex CEO of the FA. The CEO of F**K All.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You believe that price hikes are part of his remit?

I know it's all about opinions, but I can't see Tony going for that. I'm just imagining the boardroom meetings where Derek Chapman hears how fans are about to be fleeced...

Still, the bloke doesn't even start for another three weeks, and we're already arguing the toss...

We're not arguing the toss. I'm just saying I think this guy will be a 'high prices' kind of appointment. Is that allowed? And remit is probably the wrong word, it is just inevitable under a proven commercial animal. It's a back-handed compliment of sorts...

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm fairly confident the Albion will never majorly take the piss with prices. The reality is we don't have a loyal fanbase. It's fantastic that we'll have 25,000 crowds next season, but you only need to look at our (very recent) history to know that could easily be 10,000 or lower if things go wrong. Once they start charging fortunes for tickets and other things the enthusiasm will die out among the majority. It would be suicide, which is why it won't happen.

I don't know. I think we are a prime candidate for 'boutique' football and charging high prices. Sussex is large and there are plenty with no attachment to the club.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We're not arguing the toss. I'm just saying I think this guy will be a 'high prices' kind of appointment. Is that allowed? And remit is probably the wrong word, it is just inevitable under a proven commercial animal. It's a back-handed compliment of sorts...

Surely big ticket items like season ticket prices will be set by TB and/or the board as a whole? As things currently stand I struggle to see how this appointment will radically change the club culture and lead to us being stitched up over ticket prices.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Don't necessarily agree.

If it was down to Azure, for instance, we'd have expensive crap beer. TB has made sure we don't.

Look at what Vancouver have got!! If he had any involvement in the beer range there (possibly not likely in fairness), they're lucky bastards!!! Fair play, we have our Harvey's..... but they've got Leffe and Hoegarden!!

http://vancouversouthsiders.ca/forum/discussion/1898/new-beers-available-in-bc-place-concourse-leffe-hoegaarden-becks-section-248-etc-/p1

Although thinking about it, having a 6.5% beer and a 5.6% wheat beer might not be the cleverest of things to have!!!

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The day we get too big billy big bollox about our pricing is the day we die. I guarantee it. Our growth is built on an attractive pricing model. Underestimate it at our peril. This is is s supply an demand business. Just look at blackburn next season for how wrong it can go.

I'm just saying I think this guy will be a 'high prices' kind of appointment.
Behind the goal prices at the Whitecaps are CA $28.00 (about £17.50).

But ...

... be aware that standing, drumming, and chanting throughout the match is permitted in these sections, located on the West Side (Supporters Section); alcohol permitted.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
How many months until him and Poyet falls out, Poyet gives an 'it's him or me' ultimatum to Bloom and the new guys sacked then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here