Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New CEO - Paul Barber

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I presume he was given the job because of his 5 years tenure at a Premier League club.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Well Gus clearly won't be having him interfering on the footballing side.

What is the Chief Exec role? And what role does MP have? Who is the director or Sport?

Questions I got lots of questions.

The Role

The Chief Executive will be a Director of the Club and will report directly to the Chairman, Tony Bloom. With prime responsibility for all operational and commercial functions of the organization and working closely with the Chairman who will retain lead responsibility for all Player transactions and Management / Coaching appointments.

The Chief Executive will be motivated by driving BHAFC to perform as a world-class organisation providing outstanding customer experience and driving revenue growth.

The successful individual will have senior executive experience and be able to transfer their skills and ambition directly into the Club.

Skills & Experience Required

The individual will be able to evidence their achievements in the following areas:

Management / Operations:
Full Profit and Loss responsibility
Budget management and forecasting
Inspiring the world-class operation of major fixed venues, providing outstanding customer experience and maximising revenue
Reporting against all operational areas*

Leadership:
Inspiring and leading a large team of employees across the full range of corporate functional areas
Creating strong working relationships with all levels of seniority from Board members through to match-day Stewards

Commercial:
Proven track record in generating revenue and driving profitability
Innovative solutions to creating commercial partnerships
Brand development and positioning

Profile / non-commercial:
Integrating an organisation with the local community, partners and sector specific organisations
Developing positive relationships with a range of stakeholders
Digital communications
Relationships with the media

Attributes:
Effective and robust attitude
Strong communication and leadership skills
Lead by example
Common sense
Commitment
Commercial skills
Financially astute
Business acumen
Positive image
Level-headed

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D

Vancouver Whitecaps FC officially introduced new chief executive officer Paul Barber today in downtown Vancouver, British Columbia.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Irrespective of whether anyone has heard of him (frankly, a total irrelevance), I'm more than happy to trust Tony's judgement. But we shall see. Face it, it's not a exactly a job that many - if any - on here could do.

As for being surprised that Gordon Smith didn't get the job - why is that?

Last edited:

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Can't be bothered to look it up but am wondering if he was at Spurs when Gus was and if so whether Gus might have had some input.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
His job at the FA will help, he knows where it is for all the disciplinary hearings he'll have to go to.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage

No particular reason, just with his experience of having been CEO of a national FA, coupled with his obvious links to the Albion, I just thought he was a nailed on cert.
Obviously Paul Barber is more than qualified, but I just though Smiths links to the club would have been to his advantage.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I predict things are going to get a whole lot more expensive under this bloke in the next couple of years. Both the FA and Spurs have been a right rip-off for all manner of things under his tenure.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Irrespective of whether anyone has heard of him (frankly, a total irrelevance), I'm more than happy to trust Tony's judgement. But we shall see. Face it, it's not a exactly a job that many - if any - on here could do.

This.

We know the PL is over hyped with CEO's now loving the limelight too, but there is no reason why his lack of fame should affect his abilities to do this job.

And I don't give a monkeys that he has no previous connection with the Albion.

We just want the best professional available, with a long term passion for his new role.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I predict things are going to get a whole lot more expensive under this bloke in the next couple of years. Both the FA and Spurs have been a right rip-off for all manner of things under his tenure.

TB will have the final say on things like s/t prices, and as an Albion fanatic will not want to see Championship s/t sales plummit due to insensitive pricing.

Arsenal & Spurs, and Chelsea & QPR, have been ripping their fans off for quite a while; milking the big city demand, and meaning many of their longstanding working class fans have had to given up going to games, replaced by wealthier new fans.

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
The Role

The Chief Executive will be a Director of the Club and will report directly to the Chairman, Tony Bloom. With prime responsibility for all operational and commercial functions of the organization and working closely with the Chairman who will retain lead responsibility for all Player transactions and Management / Coaching appointments.

The Chief Executive will be motivated by driving BHAFC to perform as a world-class organisation providing outstanding customer experience and driving revenue growth.

The successful individual will have senior executive experience and be able to transfer their skills and ambition directly into the Club.

Skills & Experience Required

The individual will be able to evidence their achievements in the following areas:

Management / Operations:
Full Profit and Loss responsibility
Budget management and forecasting
Inspiring the world-class operation of major fixed venues, providing outstanding customer experience and maximising revenue
Reporting against all operational areas*

Leadership:
Inspiring and leading a large team of employees across the full range of corporate functional areas
Creating strong working relationships with all levels of seniority from Board members through to match-day Stewards

Commercial:
Proven track record in generating revenue and driving profitability
Innovative solutions to creating commercial partnerships
Brand development and positioning

Profile / non-commercial:
Integrating an organisation with the local community, partners and sector specific organisations
Developing positive relationships with a range of stakeholders
Digital communications
Relationships with the media

Attributes:
Effective and robust attitude
Strong communication and leadership skills
Lead by example
Common sense
Commitment
Commercial skills
Financially astute
Business acumen
Positive image
Level-headed

Should have just said Capitalist required.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom

This. I fear some are going to get priced out of regularly going to the Albion - especially if we do make it to the so called "Promised Land".

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
And just to get his title correct - he is the CEO.

Sorry, but I don't think CEO is the correct title. Chief Executive Officer is one more ghastly Americanism from the nation that nearly always uses more words than it has to in the tragic belief that it makes it seem more intelligent than it is. The vacancy was for a Chief Executive.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Well done Paul - I'm sure David Davies put in a good word too.

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend two books 'Build a Bonfire' & 'We Want Falmer' as a good way of understanding our history as you begin to chart our future.

Good luck in your new role. I am sure the Albion is in safe hands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here