Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Albion Logo

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Has anyone considered the practicality of producing these intricate designs in Lextra print (that is the process used for the production of our current badge), or embroidering them? That should also have an impact on the final badge design, if you can't replicate it perfectly on the shirt, then it is a no go.

In my experience the designs by Mayfair would be difficult to do this with, in fact I'd go as far as to say no chance with embroidery, and Lextra would be difficult with the small gold lettering and the Martlets, so unless we are happy to accept a cheap printed badge (like the last SKINT logo or the first 'IT 1st' logo) on the shirts, rather than a luxuriant Lextra badge or a classy embroidered one, the badge will have to be simplified a bit.

Last edited:

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
We will just have to start making our own 'unofficial Albion merchandise' with this logo on. Boycott the club shop. If the new badge is shite.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I can't believe the anger about this.

Yes, I'd want the badge to be something that I personally like but in my list of Albion priorities it comes way down the list.

A fantastic new stadium, and, hopefully a team playing attractive, promotion-winning football...the badge design won't make the slightest difference one way or another to either of those.

Yes, I like Mayfair's designs (except the yellow/gold bits!), and the club should have at least acknowledged the effort he put into them, but that doesn't mean that there aren't better alternatives out there somewhere. And when the club chooses its final design there will be some who like it and some who don't.

And even if I hate it, I won't throw my toys out of the pram because I know that, if they had chosen a design I loved, someone else would have hated it. They are never going to please all of us.
It won't make any fundemental difference I'll grant you, but it will be the icing on the cake. Strangely I find that little things like the kit design and the badge DO make a difference to me, I dunno why, but I do get irrationally pissed off with shitty designs; or to be more accurate what I perceive to be shitty designs.

I think there's a bit of anger that the club might be going a bit too 'corporate' in this respect. I'm not talking about the 1901 club, but last time the badge was changed it was just done by the chairman idly doodling on a napkin when he was bored one day at Donatellos. Now we've got a whole team of branding, design and image consultants working on it. Yes it's great in some ways that the club is going more professional, but the badge is still part of our identity and I guess there's a bit of incohate rage that its design has been entrusted to an anonymous team of third-party 'creatives' - and probably costing x thousand as well.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If I might make a suggestion to Mayfair for his designs...

The circular badge is excellent, and I don't have a problem with the gold band within the badge. However, I feel a little too much emphasis is placed on the 'EST 1901' bit - especially as it's at the top of the badge. It's not the most important component of the design, and for me, ought to be at the bottom.

Can you work up a treatment where the badge is kept basically the same, though the gap between the words is reduced, and a three-part scroll cutting through the bottom half of the circle, with 'Good Old', 'Sussex', and 'By The Sea' in each of the parts.

It would mean removing the Martlets, which would be a shame, but again for me is not a vital component of the badge.

I also might suggest the wingtip and tail of the seagull busting out very slightly of the blue background, rather than contained wholly within.

Would that work?

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I'm completely baffled by this comment.

I've not seen any post on NSC that reports a single comment made at the focus group meeting by anyone who attended it.

As for the Falmer for All team (who I was asked to represent at the meeting) being described as "the old hangers on", all I can say is sorry. If we'd have realised that the whole point of the ten years work that was put into the campaign was to achieve the status of "hangers on", I'm sure none of us would have bothered.
And I am completely baffled by your first paragraph! I cant see a single word in his original post mentioning comments that were made! IMHO though he is being a little mean to though that attended the New Logo Forum.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Lord B and the Falmer For All chaps and chapesses.

At the risk of sounding like an arse licker. Thanks for all your hard work over the last 10 years and don't let some internet plonkers give you are hard time for it.

Respect and love.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
We will just have to start making our own 'unofficial Albion merchandise' with this logo on. Boycott the club shop. If the new badge is shite.

what do you mean IF? It is clear to see from the comments on here that the new badge IS shite, don't you see? Even though only 2 or 3 posters on here have seen the initial proposals, thankfully the rest of NSC seems to have made up its mind and simply hates the new badge.
:bhasign::bhasign:

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
It won't make any fundemental difference I'll grant you, but it will be the icing on the cake. Strangely I find that little things like the kit design and the badge DO make a difference to me, I dunno why, but I do get irrationally pissed off with shitty designs; or to be more accurate what I perceive to be shitty designs.

I think there's a bit of anger that the club might be going a bit too 'corporate' in this respect. I'm not talking about the 1901 club, but last time the badge was changed it was just done by the chairman idly doodling on a napkin when he was bored one day at Donatellos. Now we've got a whole team of branding, design and image consultants working on it. Yes it's great in some ways that the club is going more professional, but the badge is still part of our identity and I guess there's a bit of incohate rage that its design has been entrusted to an anonymous team of third-party 'creatives' - and probably costing x thousand as well.

I do understand what you are saying but I suppose my point is that, whoever designs it, whether it costs nothing or thousands, some of us won't like it. That's life and, even if I hate it, I'll accept it.

You could say that the best way is to put a choice of designs to the fans and let us vote. It's democratic but if we are choosing from, say, two designs we could end up with a close vote meaning a large number of fans don't like it. If it were to be a choice of three designs and the voting was split 40-30-30, 60% would have voted against the winning design!

Whatever the club decides there will be complaints but, for me, it's still a low priority.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I also might suggest the wingtip and tail of the seagull busting out very slightly of the blue background, rather than contained wholly within.
For me one of the benefits of the round badge is that the seagull actually FITS the shape so you don't have to have it poking out. If it didn't poke out of the shield it would look squashed, if it poked out of the circle it would look stretched.

Agreed. Agreed with brass knobs on. Mayfair's elegant re-working of a design classic is truly masterful. I'm willing to bet that whatever the club (or rather KSS) do will be shit in comparison. It will have swooshes and shades and outlines and will look horribly dated in five years' time.

"re-working"????????

all he's done is take the old 1977 badge and add some words in Gold around the outside!:eek::rant:

attachment.php
images

Last edited:

FlownWest

Aug 10, 2010
With all respect, if I hadn't even known it was a modification of the old badge I would've said it looks like this logo was designed in the 70s.

At face value I think I prefer it slightly to the current one, but if we change it I think it would have to be a modern design that gives the club a forward-thinking image. This logo looks slightly retro to me. I appreciate I seem to be in the minority of those who think this though (or think this to be a bad thing).

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think the point here is this:

Most would like to see a return circular badge/crest.

The club were very rude to not even reply to Mayfair. Even a quick one liner - thank you for your time/effort/suggestion we will certainly take this into account etc etc

They could have gone further and maybe invited him/her to the meeting but certainly should have replied to the email.

The design by Mayfair is also a "first draft" and would need tweaking like TLO and others have suggested. Personally I would drop the Martlets.

But again the club should have replied as quite clearly some effort has gone into this.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I think the point here is this:

Most would like to see a return circular badge/crest.

The club were very rude to not even reply to Mayfair. Even a quick one liner - thank you for your time/effort/suggestion we will certainly take this into account etc etc

They could have gone further and maybe invited him/her to the meeting but certainly should have replied to the email.

The design by Mayfair is also a "first draft" and would need tweaking like TLO and others have suggested. Personally I would drop the Martlets.

But again the club should have replied as quite clearly some effort has gone into this.

I think most of that is bang on.

Except, I've said it before but I honestly think everyone's getting all dizzy over Mayfair's design because a) it's the only one we've seen and b) because it's almost identical to the old badge. In my opinion it looks very dated. We need something new and exciting, like our stadium. Not a hark back to the past.

If the people designing our new crest are experienced and talented (which i hope they are), we should leave it to them.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think most of that is bang on.

Except, I've said it before but I honestly think everyone's getting all dizzy over Mayfair's design because a) it's the only one we've seen and b) because it's almost identical to the old badge. In my opinion it looks very dated. We need something new and exciting, like our stadium. Not a hark back to the past.

If the people designing our new crest are experienced and talented (which i hope they are), we should leave it to them.

Agreed. However, experienced and talented designers is one thing - some of the issues can come down to the brief they get.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I don't think it looks dated at all. Lots of clubs are using 'classic' badges. The best example if probably Chelsea. They underwent a 'rebranding' ( :sick: ) when Abramovich took over but went with a reworking of their classic badge.

0,,10268~3000107,00.jpg

0,,10268~3206162,00.jpg

There are plenty more clubs that have done it but I think this one really relates to us, because it's such a simple thing. If it was Swindon or many other clubs who've gone back to more traditional crests like this:
180px-Swindon_Town_FC.svg.png

I could understand how you could call that dated, even though I wouldn't really agree (and I don't think their fans would either), but how can something as simple as a seagull crest in a round badge be called dated?

Anyway, could any of those who want something 'exciting' or 'forward looking' or any of those other buzzwords be a bit more specific about what they'd like to see? Because those terms just make me think of things like the Olympics logo and other such rubbish attempts at branding.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think it looks dated at all. Lots of clubs are using 'classic' badges. The best example if probably Chelsea. They underwent a 'rebranding' ( :sick: ) when Abramovich took over but went with a reworking of their classic badge.

0,,10268~3000107,00.jpg

0,,10268~3206162,00.jpg

That is a significant reworking, almost could be considered as being completely new, every element of it has been redrawn, different font, much simpler lines etc, I think the points being made here are that the idea suggested on here for the Albion badge is nothing more that the same thing we had 12 years ago, with a bit of extra text, and a gold ring.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
"re-working"????????

all he's done is take the old 1977 badge and add some words in Gold around the outside!:eek::rant:

Maybe, just MAYBE, that's all it needs, a respectful homage to the past with a couple of moderne touches.

One thing is sure, we're all now going to HATE whatever the focus group comes up with and hate the amount of money spent on them coming up with it. Fact. Oid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here