Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Native British train yobs

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
As happens surprisingly often, my journey home last night was slightly disrupted by a bunch of annoying little twats shouting and screaming and acting like arseholes on the train.

Now, I am actually quite capable of telling the difference between people of all ages who are being boisterous when they're going out - I actually find it quite entertaining - and yobbery. And this lot were the very much latter, unfortunately and were desperate for their bad behaviour not to be ignored.

They were smoking away, screaming moronically at each other, then bragged about how they'd beaten up a black guy in some bar (to the obvious disquiet of the Asian bloke sitting near me), then they forced the doors on the train to stay open, which always puts the train's brakes on so that the driver has to venture out of his cab to reset them.

Even with my MP3 player it was pretty hard to stay in their close company: they were bawling away right in tired commuters' faces (commuters generally tolerate any old shit that happens on the train but 3-4 of them got up and moved away from these nobs). Then when the train arrived, none of them had bought tickets, of course.

And what did I do about it? Nothing. Sat there. And today, I feel stupid and a bit cowardly that I didn't, although, to be fair, no-one else did anything either. What would you have done? I'm very far from a fusty old twat - these people were acting f***ing badly.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The same thing happened to me on the train back from Chichester. A group of 8 or so (15-17 year olds) showed no respect for anything or anyone. As with your case, none of them had bought tickets and literally spat at the conductor when asked for their fares.

I tried to bury myself in the paper, but it was impossible with the loutish antics, pushing and shoving, swearing and talking about fights. One of them scratch some illegible writing on the window to the amusement of the others.

An old lady sat there clutching her bag - in evident fear of being attacked. (although that might be going a bit far)

As with you, Harv, I did nothing. In hindsight, I would have liked to have told them to 'pull their socks up' :lol: but I did not think it was worth the hassle. Respect is only given to the fellow members of their little gang....

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Man of Harveys said:
As happens surprisingly often, my journey home last night was slightly disrupted by a bunch of annoying little twats shouting and screaming and acting like arseholes on the train.

Now, I am actually quite capable of telling the difference between people of all ages who are being boisterous when they're going out - I actually find it quite entertaining - and yobbery. And this lot were the very much latter, unfortunately and were desperate for their bad behaviour not to be ignored.

They were smoking away, screaming moronically at each other, then bragged about how they'd beaten up a black guy in some bar (to the obvious disquiet of the Asian bloke sitting near me), then they forced the doors on the train to stay open, which always puts the train's brakes on so that the driver has to venture out of his cab to reset them.

Even with my MP3 player it was pretty hard to stay in their close company: they were bawling away right in tired commuters' faces (commuters generally tolerate any old shit that happens on the train but 3-4 of them got up and moved away from these nobs). Then when the train arrived, none of them had bought tickets, of course.

And what did I do about it? Nothing. Sat there. And today, I feel stupid and a bit cowardly that I didn't, although, to be fair, no-one else did anything either. What would you have done? I'm very far from a fusty old twat - these people were acting f***ing badly.

What were you supposed to do? I wouldn't have done anything, nothing you can do in that situation. Better off sitting there listening to your MP3 player, quietly thanking your lucky stars that you weren't born as underprivileged and disrespectful as these twats.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
on the one hand it would be nice to go up and tell them to stop, however in this day and age they could be carring knives etc. even telling the police wont get anything done about it, slap on the wrist and free to do it again

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
surrey jim said:
on the one hand it would be nice to go up and tell them to stop, however in this day and age they could be carring knives etc. even telling the police wont get anything done about it, slap on the wrist and free to do it again

Thats the thing 20 years ago they probably would have got a clip round the ear from one (or more) of the commuters...or even the police.

Now we have to fear for our own safety.

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
From a railway perspective it's very frustrating that the police seem to do very little until somebody actually gets assaulted. I'd never recommend anybody confront the youth's themselves it just is'nt worth the risk.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
i've a slightly different view, if not an entirely advisable one.

if everytime some yob pisses on a train, scratches the window, abuses an old lady, or whatever, they get away with it, there's more chance they'll do it again.

stand up to these litle shits and you risk getting attacked, or more likely they'll back off and think twice next time.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Commander said:
What were you supposed to do? I wouldn't have done anything, nothing you can do in that situation. Better off sitting there listening to your MP3 player, quietly thanking your lucky stars that you weren't born as underprivileged and disrespectful as these twats.
But I wasn't at all surprised to read that something like 30% of all Brits questioned said they wouldn't dare to tackle teenage yobs head-on, whereas twice as many people in other big European countries said they would. I'm not saying the Brits are more bashful about these things at all (I don't think they are), but I'm absolutely certain that this is a worse problem here than elsewhere, which also negates the right's tendency to dump this sort of thing on Labour.

Is it ludicrously old-fashioned to think that a guard on the train might have done something? There never is one on Thameslink, only ticket inspectors...

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
afters said:
i've a slightly different view, if not an entirely advisable one.

if everytime some yob pisses on a train, scratches the window, abuses an old lady, or whatever, they get away with it, there's more chance they'll do it again.

stand up to these litle shits and you risk getting attacked, or more likely they'll back off and think twice next time.

You stand up to them,then it will be you in court on charges.Thats the way this country is now

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Kids that age group are the most likely to stab you for no other reason than they are scumbags with attitude.

Best left to get on with it until they hopefully get arrested one day and sent down before they can cause to much damage.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
algie said:
You stand up to them,then it will be you in court on charges.Thats the way this country is now
But at least these people have a tendency to be PURE BRIT, eh? That must make you very proud. Don't tend to see too many immigrants or even ethnic minorities acting that way.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Man of Harveys said:
But I wasn't at all surprised to read that something like 30% of all Brits questioned said they wouldn't dare to tackle teenage yobs head-on, whereas twice as many people in other big European countries said they would. I'm not saying the Brits are more bashful about these things at all (I don't think they are), but I'm absolutely certain that this is a worse problem here than elsewhere, which also negates the right's tendency to dump this sort of thing on Labour.

Is it ludicrously old-fashioned to think that a guard on the train might have done something? There never is one on Thameslink, only ticket inspectors...

100% agree, it is a much bigger problem here than elsewhere in Europe, anyway. Who's to blame? I really don't know- suspects are:

(Delete as appicable)
Labour
Muslims
Bellotti
Baker
De Vecchi
McGleish
Leon Knight
London Irish
Mayo
Bush
Bin Laden
Maclaren

Re: Re: Native British train yobs

Commander said:

Direspectful yes but underpriveliged NO. That is doing a massive disservice to people from underpriveliged backgrounds. Just because you maybe poor doesn't mean your a yob.
But I agree with you if there are lot of them, what can you do?
Unless your a martial arts expert you risk getting your head kicked in.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Commander said:
100% agree, it is a much bigger problem here than elsewhere in Europe, anyway. Who's to blame? I really don't know- suspects are:

(Delete as appicable)
Labour
Muslims
Bellotti
Baker
De Vecchi
McGleish
Leon Knight
London Irish
Mayo
Bush
Bin Laden
Maclaren

:clap:

Commander said:

(Delete as appicable)
Labour
Muslims
Bellotti
Baker
De Vecchi
McGleish
Leon Knight
London Irish
Mayo
Bush
Bin Laden