Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Wonder if he has some sort of injury? Maybe we'll know more after the pre-game press conference (whenever it is?).

Hoping to see him back in action soon, I'd much prefer him over Milner in the starting lineup.
My guess is that Milner will slowly be phased out, but at this stage of Fab’s tenure it is very important for him to have an experienced pro in the XI from a tactical viewpoint and from a managing egos/commanding respect of the wider squad perspective. If you’ve got buy-in from Milner, Welbeck, Dunk etc. then it’s easier for the rest to fall into line.

It’s what I hope anyway, because I’d really rather not see Milner starting too often.

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
My guess is that Milner will slowly be phased out, but at this stage of Fab’s tenure it is very important for him to have an experienced pro in the XI from a tactical viewpoint and from a managing egos/commanding respect of the wider squad perspective. If you’ve got buy-in from Milner, Welbeck, Dunk etc. then it’s easier for the rest to fall into line.

It’s what I hope anyway, because I’d really rather not see Milner starting too often.
Milner had a good preseason. He was MOTM against Tottenham last season, just before the injury that kept him out of the team for several months. If FH and the coaching staff see him as still having a valuable role to play, that’s fine by me.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Milner had a good preseason. He was MOTM against Tottenham last season, just before the injury that kept him out of the team for several months. If FH and the coaching staff see him as still having a valuable role to play, that’s fine by me.
Agree completely he had a good preseason, and a role to play in the team, but I think he'll struggle against several teams in the league. Don't want him in the starting lineup too often. Willing to be proved wrong though.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
If Napoli go for Casadei in a player swap with Chelsea, that might affect the Gilmour deal right?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
From the Guardian (Weds 10.53):

Chelsea are expected to hold further negotiations with Napoli over a potential loan move for Victor Osimhen, with the Italian club having agreed personal terms for a three-year deal with Lukaku. They have yet to match Chelsea’s valuation for the Belgium striker but there is understood to be optimism that a deal for both players can be agreed. Napoli’s sporting director, Giovanni Manna, is reported to have arrived in London for talks on Wednesday and he is also expected to increase the club’s offer for Brighton midfielder Billy Gilmour.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Milner initially having a prominent role in the ‘starting eleven’ (that plays to his strengths and minimises his weaknesses) almost inevitably to be subbed on the regular for Baleba maybe(?) makes PERFECT sense to me.

For a young manager, in the early stages of earning the squads respect, it’s a very intelligent move. Get the seniors on side, give them an important role in the team, and motivate them, to help motivate the others. Win/win!

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
We absolutely cannot, should not, must not sell Billy Gilmour at any price. He's far too important to the club.

50 million
Even if FH is dead set against playing him? I fear he may be, so poor old WBG would have to rely on injuries decimating us to get a game. He deserves better than that imo, let him go for whatever we can get if his face doesn’t fit anymore.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Milner initially having a prominent role in the ‘starting eleven’ (that plays to his strengths and minimises his weaknesses) almost inevitably to be subbed on the regular for Baleba maybe(?) makes PERFECT sense to me.

For a young manager, in the early stages of earning the squads respect, it’s a very intelligent move. Get the seniors on side, give them an important role in the team, and motivate them, to help motivate the others. Win/win!
It isn't a 'win/win' if we lose all the games he plays in, and we get completely destroyed in midfield.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
Even if FH is dead set against playing him? I fear he may be, so poor old WBG would have to rely on injuries decimating us to get a game. He deserves better than that imo, let him go for whatever we can get if his face doesn’t fit anymore.

I doubt FH is dead set against playing any player, especially one with the quality Gilmour has.

I swear that he must be one of the only players to get the offer of a decent move to a big team in a top league, yet somehow it gets seen by some, as a failure on his part or the club being desperate to get rid (despite Barbar saying words to the contrary).

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I doubt FH is dead set against playing any player, especially one with the quality Gilmour has.

I swear that he must be one of the only players to get the offer of a decent move to a big team in a top league, yet somehow it gets seen by some, as a failure on his part or the club being desperate to get rid (despite Barbar saying words to the contrary).
You may be right, No way am I suggesting he is a failure, my favourite player last season. The club are clearly not desperate to get shot as he would be gone if so.

I don’t know enough about FH’s midfield choices to pass it off as anywhere near a fact, but I get the impression he may be too small and lightweight for the style FH prefers. The fact that he hasn’t had a minutes game time is odd if he is still rated, he’s not been injured has he?

I don’t hold too much store on PB’s comments about players coming or going :shrug:

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
It isn't a 'win/win' if we lose all the games he plays in, and we get completely destroyed in midfield.
Well, thank god he doesn’t have to play the same eleven players every game of the season and can make the necessary changes he sees fit as the season progresses, but I stand by what I said. At this point in the season, which hasn’t even started yet, all things considered, and whilst Milner is playing well, it’s smart!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here