Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Napoli interested in Billy Gilmour **Sold 30/08/24**

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Based on what? He had an xG of less than 1 last season - not like he's getting a bunch of goal scoring opportunities. Neither did he get a lot of assist opportunities as someone with a build up starting position 10 meters from the centre backs. If we find Billy in the role Ayari had yesterday, I think we'll see plenty of assists. And goals.
But Gilmour was in the lowest 3% of tacklers in the prem last season which is far from ideal for a central midfielder. Nothing to do with his size -just the fact he can't tackle!

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Based on what? He had an xG of less than 1 last season - not like he's getting a bunch of goal scoring opportunities. Neither did he get a lot of assist opportunities as someone with a build up starting position 10 meters from the centre backs. If we find Billy in the role Ayari had yesterday, I think we'll see plenty of assists. And goals.

So let's be fair to Billy on the goal scoring front give him more seasont to count.

So based on what has he ever scored in a prem league game? Some goalies have scored more.

knekkebrød

May 20, 2018
Norway
Prices mentioned here sounds like really good business for Napoli, but if we want to sell it gets a lot harder to negotiare a good price for us.

There are a lot of exciting talent coming up. Could it be that we need to sell to make room in his position for one or two of Hinshelwood, Ayari, Yalcoulye, Baleba or Moder? Or Wieffer? A new player coming in?

WBG really easy to like, but we can't develop an infinite anount of players. Someone at the club has to do the brutal job and decide who to keep and witch players we need to sell.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Gilmour will be gone as he just doesn’t have the attributes that Fabian wants. He does have excellent passing skills but we need more for our developed style.
I also wonder whether there is a bit more openness to a transfer away from the club after what he went through when he was brought in…. To play under Potter who then left a few days later for the team that Billy came from.
I just think that the way he knuckled down and got on with it may have assisted him now in his desire to move to Italy?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
But Gilmour was in the lowest 3% of tacklers in the prem last season which is far from ideal for a central midfielder. Nothing to do with his size -just the fact he can't tackle!
Its not great of course and can be improved, but A LOT of tackles are generated by making up for a bad pass or dribble, and Gilmour is one of the players least likely to give away the ball. Bit similar to Xavi, he'll never reach heights in those stats - because he doesn't need to.
So let's be fair to Billy on the goal scoring front give him more seasont to count.

So based on what has he ever scored in a prem league game? Some goalies have scored more.
Goals are not everything. People see Scott McTominay as a £30m-£40m player because he scores a bit of goals. But Manchester United are struggling to sell him, because the player is literally afraid of the ball. There was a game last season where Scott played 90 minutes and made 8 passes. Thats more interesting to clubs than McTominay scoring a few goals because opponents can't be arsed to bother about him until its too late.

I don't think Billy will be scoring MASSES of goals this season either, but the chances of course increases if he's in a position to take 2-3 shots per game around the penalty box rather than the 1 long distance shot per game he's had in Brighton.

People say Billy is a bad finisher but I'm not sure what they're basing it on. So far he has lived up to his xG every season (0 goals). You can't expect someone who barely shoots to score goals.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Its not great of course and can be improved, but A LOT of tackles are generated by making up for a bad pass or dribble, and Gilmour is one of the players least likely to give away the ball. Bit similar to Xavi, he'll never reach heights in those stats - because he doesn't need to.

Goals are not everything. People see Scott McTominay as a £30m-£40m player because he scores a bit of goals. But Manchester United are struggling to sell him, because the player is literally afraid of the ball. There was a game last season where Scott played 90 minutes and made 8 passes. Thats more interesting to clubs than McTominay scoring a few goals because opponents can't be arsed to bother about him until its too late.

I don't think Billy will be scoring MASSES of goals this season either, but the chances of course increases if he's in a position to take 2-3 shots per game around the penalty box rather than the 1 long distance shot per game he's had in Brighton.

People say Billy is a bad finisher but I'm not sure what they're basing it on. So far he has lived up to his xG every season (0 goals). You can't expect someone who barely shoots to score goals.
Well done your bull shit meter is in overdrive.

Edit well all like Billy ! Can't help thinking he might fit in better elsewhere in a league that probably isn't so physical.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Gross ................. WBG ..................... Undav .................... I was so looking forward to this transfer window. Now I just want it over!

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Gross ................. WBG ..................... Undav .................... I was so looking forward to this transfer window. Now I just want it over!
Only one has left so far . So let's hope.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Only one has left so far . So let's hope.
Won't mind if we cash in on Undav, TBH - if he doesn't want to be here, best move him on. Would like to keep WBG though.

What I really want the window to close for is an end to these things going on and on and on! Just get 'em settled and move on!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gilmour could and should thrive in a league that is less physical and where he has more time on the ball Napoli are getting an absolute steal here.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I am quite surprised that no other PL teams are in for WBG given the apparently low asking price. Tidy PL player. One of our better players when last season went pear shaped imo.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I am quite surprised that no other PL teams are in for WBG given the apparently low asking price. Tidy PL player. One of our better players when last season went pear shaped imo.

There were some reports of Newcastle wanting him but I don’t know if they actually made any formal enquiries for him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Won't mind if we cash in on Undav, TBH - if he doesn't want to be here, best move him on. Would like to keep WBG though.

What I really want the window to close for is an end to these things going on and on and on! Just get 'em settled and move on!
What you want is for everything to be completely different :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here