Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nalyor goes on the attack against Knight in the Argus

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Giraffe said:
Er we just supposedly offered A decent sum to buy a quality striker and ridiculous wages? Financial situation....?:rolleyes:

But he still wouldn't come though would he. My mistake, perhaps he should be aware of other factors as well.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
BensGrandad said:
EP

Sorry I was getting confused with the question asked on Ask The Club about our break even figure (attendance now).

I would agree that Falmer is too far away to consider calculations of break even figures etc as costs are rising as we type.

When we were going to leave the Goldstone Beeding would have cost less than £40m for a complete job with everything included bnow probably nearer £100m+. Not that we shall go there but just using it as an example.

Wasnt the original quote for Falmer £35m

Noticed the mistake not £40 but £40m

The last set of cost I remember (public enquiy I think) were roughly as follows:

Stadium build 28.9 m
land acquisition 5.3m
Infrastructure 4.4m
Contingencies 1.8m
Prof fees 3.6 m

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Naylor may well have been asked for some kind of 'state of the nation' piece by his sports editor. And as that 'state' is very poor right now, the result is hardly surprising.

I just want to know what El Pres was on about in his column this week. Iraq? The Oscars? NIMBYs?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
kestrel said:
Knight will ban nalyor from the ground :lolol:

Is the pressure on Knight ???

No he won't... wait and see....there's nothing particularly surprising or litiginous there... it's a journalists bread and butter article and DK knows it... he'd be cutting of his nose to spite his face if he banned him.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lord Bracknell said:
The delay caused by the LDC appeal has, of course, pushed costs even higher.

which we would have expected and allowed in "contingencies". If not, then its inconceivable that out directors would have not have seen a potential objection, especially as the plans included a part of the stadium ( albeit the bus stop) in LDC controlled land.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Kinky Gerbils said:
Maybe, like I said I agree with most of what he said - you just have to question the timing.

Aaaaaaaah... is Naylor a journalist?

Yes.

What's the key to journalism?

Timing

Is Naylor a Brighton fan and therefore wearing blue and white tinted glasses.

No.

Thank god for that... at least we know he'll say it as he sees it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I wouldn't want Andy to be an Albion fan. that is not his job.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The old uns will remember John Vinnicombe who always said the right things about the club at the right time during a season we were going to be promoted, relegated just miss both so that at the end of the seaon he could requote himself and say I told you so on such a date.

At least Naylor doesnt only write to appease the board as he showed with Archer etc when he first came here. Whether you agree with his view or not is up to each individual.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
SULLY COULDNT SHOOT said:
Aaaaaaaah... is Naylor a journalist?

Yes.

What's the key to journalism?

Timing

Is Naylor a Brighton fan and therefore wearing blue and white tinted glasses.

No.

Thank god for that... at least we know he'll say it as he sees it.

Is Naylor MM's bum chum?

Yes.

Might then suggest a slightly tainted view.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
or indeed until recently Richard Lindfield.

An Albion fan?- oh most definitely. A good journalist? - I've always thought so. Considered and impartial reporting? - He always managed to steer away from appearing to be the board's mouthpiece.

...and it was always fun to count the number of times that he mentioned 'false dawns', 'one swallow does not a summer make', 'I've been here so often before'.

Andy Naylor has a job to do but this just reeks of him and McGhee getting revenge for MM's sacking. Just look at the mischief his article has caused just months before Kelly's decision on Falmer. If he cared at all about Brighton then I think he should consider the damage that the article has done and will do. Very sad times.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Dave the Gaffer said:
which we would have expected and allowed in "contingencies". If not, then its inconceivable that out directors would have not have seen a potential objection, especially as the plans included a part of the stadium ( albeit the bus stop) in LDC controlled land.

Oh come on. We planned for an appeal but who could ever have foreseen the first application being thrown out on a legal technicality and the whole process having to be redone?

As an accountant, if I'd seen that contingency in a budget I'd ask why, if it can be foreseen, was it not simply replaced by a budget for a top lawyer to review all the technicalities at considerably less cost.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I understand what you're saying about 'doing damage' Buzzer - but that in itself is becoming a bit of an issue even on here, our very own fans board.

The debates on the more serious topics are becoming neutered because some people aren't posting what they really think for fear of it being used against the club by NIMBY lurkers. I don't think we should pander to them on here anyway, and the Argus certainly shouldn't.

Naylor has at least a self-interest for Albion not getting relegated. It looks to me as if Knight is not communicating with him, and that's wrong for all sorts of reasons - not least because it's harder to have a go at someone who is treating you well.

The tone of the piece, as was said earlier, is one that is almost past caring what Knight thinks, and that suggests an unhelpful breakdown of communication.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Tooting Gull said:
I understand what you're saying about 'doing damage' Buzzer - but that in itself is becoming a bit of an issue even on here, our very own fans board.

The debates on the more serious topics are becoming neutered because some people aren't posting what they really think for fear of it being used against the club by NIMBY lurkers. I don't think we should pander to them on here anyway, and the Argus certainly shouldn't.

Naylor has at least a self-interest for Albion not getting relegated. It looks to me as if Knight is not communicating with him, and that's wrong for all sorts of reasons - not least because it's harder to have a go at someone who is treating you well.

The tone of the piece, as was said earlier, is one that is almost past caring what Knight thinks, and that suggests an unhelpful breakdown of communication.

Then perhaps WE can go on a charm offensive with Naylor. Invite him along to the Tap before or after a game with a good cross-section of fans - could be from this board. We could reiterate how passionately we feel about the club. Try and persuade him to get behind Wilkins who was totally innocent of any wrongdoing over MM's sacking.

We could also perhaps arrange for a group of fans to meet with Perry and Knight to clear the air. It need not be a big forum and if we at NSC voted who should go along and limit it to say 4 or 5 the club might agree to it. Naylor could report it.

We've got to get the good vibes back between the fans and the club.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Buzzer said:
Then perhaps WE can go on a charm offensive with Naylor. Invite him along to the Tap before or after a game with a good cross-section of fans - could be from this board. We could reiterate how passionately we feel about the club. Try and persuade him to get behind Wilkins who was totally innocent of any wrongdoing over MM's sacking.

We could also perhaps arrange for a group of fans to meet with Perry and Knight to clear the air. It need not be a big forum and if we at NSC voted who should go along and limit it to say 4 or 5 the club might agree to it. Naylor could report it.

We've got to get the good vibes back between the fans and the club.

Or just ignore what he has to say and stop buying / reading the Argus?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Buzzer said:
Oh come on. We planned for an appeal but who could ever have foreseen the first application being thrown out on a legal technicality and the whole process having to be redone?

As an accountant, if I'd seen that contingency in a budget I'd ask why, if it can be foreseen, was it not simply replaced by a budget for a top lawyer to review all the technicalities at considerably less cost.

first applications wasnt thrown out on a technicality was it? Or are you saying that there was only one application?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Tooting Gull said:

I just want to know what El Pres was on about in his column this week. Iraq? The Oscars? NIMBYs?

I have not found any inspiration yet, so am open to offers. It vaguely starts on the subject of home finance, and then tends to veer off course like a Mark McCammon dribble towards the corner flag.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
How about an indepth look at Foam based beds to the traditional Sprung mattresses.

You can make a 1000 word argument for both and the old ladies will love it

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
El Presidente said:
I have not found any inspiration yet, so am open to offers. It vaguely starts on the subject of home finance, and then tends to veer off course like a Mark McCammon dribble towards the corner flag.

I did have a quick look at the Stockport Express web site. Quality story about a crooked accountant spending his clients' inheritances. What about a 'why oh why' piece on 'If you can't trust an accountant...'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here