Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nalyor goes on the attack against Knight in the Argus

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
mendoza10 said:
You and Naylor should meet up one day and dream about the glory days under mcghee, maybe play a game of golf with the legend himself

Im not sure whats wrong with asking the question if the club where right to sack Mcghee, Things have not changed - if anything they have got worse.

William Chops

Feb 3, 2007
Buzzer said:
because Naylor is not even being objective here. He has a personal agenda and this is schadenfreude. Pure and simple.

Journalists are rarely totally objective. To be honest I dont expect them to be. If you want to get an objective view read a few articles on a subject from different perspectives....then form your own view.

What Naylor has written needs to be said.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What I'm astonished at here is not so much the content - I agree with bits and disagree with others, and I can take or leave it - it's the tone of the article.

The fella is supposed to be mildly impartial, although on a local newspaper that's always going to be difficult. It's just that, for me, that article has come across as a big childish rant, using nuances, innuendo and tabloid phrases to hint at getting across what many feel is his real agenda - the disgust he feels at McGhee's dismissal. By all means, ask questions of the club, we all need to do it, but I don't see that he has here. He has merely attacked the board and the players - although Dick mainly. Is that constructive? Or is he merely trying to score some points?

The piece is purely subjective - he is offering opinions, albeit quite barbed. It's interesting he offers no direct quotes from any of the protagonists. It would be interesting to see if (a) Dean Wilkins and/or Dick Knight are offered a right of reply, (b) whether they take it, and (c) what that reply might be.

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
no one at the club trusts or wants to talk to Naylor. He has to write something so he either writes his own thoughts or makes it up. He's probably fed up at being fed: we are close to signing X, Y and Z year after year. He needs to keep his job so must fill the back page with Albion stuff. He's a senior journalist and doesn't want to be reporting from Div 4 grounds next season.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
timbha said:
no one at the club trusts or wants to talk to Naylor. He has to write something so he either writes his own thoughts or makes it up. He's probably fed up at being fed: we are close to signing X, Y and Z year after year. He needs to keep his job so must fill the back page with Albion stuff. He's a senior journalist and doesn't want to be reporting from Div 4 grounds next season.
Blimey, is that true?

Serious question - I'm not being sarcastic here.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
William Chops said:
It's because Naylor doesnt aid the board's propaganda.

What propaganda?

Do people really think that there's a conspiracy around the Albion? That DK deliberately keeps the Albion running at a loss? That he is running us into the ground in the same way that Bellotti and Archer did?

We are a small club with very little money in the lower leagues without a home. You try bringing in top talent to play for us.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Very intressting artical.

Just out of interest what copy of the argus is it printed in? Today's sports argus or tomorrows argus?

William Chops

Feb 3, 2007
1) cap in hand to the supporters claiming two million to survive, then sell players worth a total greater than 2 million but still claim we are skint.

2) at the time of ITV Digital collapse club claim they are running to a strict budget, and on an even keel. Shortly after this club claim they are running at a huge loss.

The club seem to choose statements to suit their propaganda needs.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
William Chops said:
1) cap in hand to the supporters claiming two million to survive, then sell players worth a total greater than 2 million but still claim we are skint.

2) at the time of ITV Digital collapse club claim they are running to a strict budget, and on an even keel. Shortly after this club claim they are running at a huge loss.

The club seem to choose statements to suit their propaganda needs.

1) It's not mutually exclusive. I need around £1500 to survive each month to pay all my bills. Fortunately I earn more but if I earned just £1600 then I'd still be skint. It's even worse for the Albion because we are running Withdean at a loss.

2) If the losses are covered by director's loans (as they are) then you can run to a budget and even keel if it's budgeted to make a loss of £x millions per year and you DO make those losses.

Doesn't sound like propaganda to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here