Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My take on today at the PARADE

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
:clap2: :clap2: I dont think thats it a coincidence that since butters and hinsh are back in the team, our results have been improving!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
A sound analysis:clap: :clap:

Still think the defence (ok, Mayo aside) are the reason for our form, the trio of Whing, Butters and Hinsh OOZE class:clap2:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
The Complete Badger said:
Right, what a game! I have to say, that is the BEST football match I have watched (involving Brighton and Hove Albion) since the 3-3 draw at Leeds last September. I thought we shaded the first half, but it was the second half which really turned me on. End to end stuff, heroic defending at times, some incisive attacking play - better than I have seen us produce in months. Hinshelwood and Butters were IMMENSE at the back, and Sir Michel pulled of two fantastic stops. I thought Bradford were disappointing in the first half, but believe me they threw absolutely everything at us in the second. El Abd too had a great game - he does Carpenter's job in the team, but the advantage is that he does it at a considerably greater pace, and is far more robust. I think he may well have a future in that position. Upfront, I give you Alex Revell. I am struggling to think of a better individual all-round performance in the last two years. What a player! Robinson, Cox, and then Bowditch were lively too.

Unfortunately, there are a couple of weak links in this team. Kerry Mayo's lack of pace is a real problem - he is being beaten far too easily, and Johnson absolutely raped him all afternoon. Also, Fraser, I'm not too sure exactly what he's up to at the moment either. I know he's young, but he's not really showing enough to be an automatic choice. Maybe he should be eased into the team a bit more gently. I would like to see the return of Lynch and Frutos to complete this DREAM TEAM!

Just for a bit of balance, I would like to heap praise on two players who have in the past (mainly last season) been in the group of players I had become disillusioned with. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Guy Butters and Dean Hammond. I wasn't Butters' biggest fan last season, but I would go as far as to say his return this season has been an INSPIRATION to us. There's no arsing around in defence since he's been back, and it's no surprise that we have stopped giving away stupid goals. I'm not saying his style is amazingly pretty, but my god is it effective and VITAL in this division. Hinshelwood is just as good.

Also Hammond - I really feel this is a case of a man being freed from Carpenter's shackles. When he has an in-form and effective player alongside him (which El Abd is right now), he is a different player. Someone who can be relied on to do the defensive job really frees up Deano. His passing is suddenly decent, he gets around the pitch, and generally looks THE PART. There is a really good player here waiting to happen, and from what I have seen recently it possibly is. I do enjoy a moan about some of the wasters in the squad, so it's only fair to point out two cases where I have been WRONG this season.

I shall conclude with my ratings. Thankyou ladies and gentlemen, that was my view on an excellent day!

Kuipers 8

Whing 7
Hinshelwood 7
Butters 8
Mayo 6

Fraser 5
Hammond 8
El Abd 7
Cox 7

Robinson 7
Revell 9

Fantastic summing up Tom, alittle worried about our Left Back problem though.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Re: Re: My take on today at the PARADE

Basil Fawlty said:
Fantastic summing up Tom, alittle worried about our Left Back problem though.

If Lynch is used we don't have a left back problem. Easily sorted really.

:wave:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Re: Re: Re: My take on today at the PARADE

Zebedee said:

But we haven't got adequate cover for Lynch, we've got the unexperienced Sam Rents, Kerry outpaced Mayo. I think we need to look into signing a Left Back during the transfer window, or looking to bring someone in on loan.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Re: Re: Re: My take on today at the PARADE

Zebedee said:

That's a point. When he came on he looked ten times better than Mayo.

Fantastic

Whing Hinsh Butters Lynch.

Get Whing to the end of the season, and we're SORTED:)

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on today at the PARADE

Basil Fawlty said:
But we haven't got adequate cover for Lynch, we've got the unexperienced Sam Rents, Kerry outpaced Mayo. I think we need to look into signing a Left Back during the transfer window, or looking to bring someone in on loan.

But the fact that we haven't got cover for Lynch is hardly a reason for not playing him. Or am I missing something?

:eek:

jakes right boot

Jul 29, 2006
Mayo did well today but Hinshelwood was the cause of their second goal, as he was against MK Dons and Northampton. The rest of the game Hinsh was ok but he is making costly mistakes.

Kuipers 8
Whing 7
Hinshelwood 7
Butters 8
Mayo 7
Fraser 6
Hammond 8
El Abd 7
ox 7
Robinson 7
Revell 9

Lynch 6
Bowditch 7

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on today at the PARADE

Basil Fawlty said:
Let say Lynch gets a injured, then we're left with Rents or Mayo.

The fact is that Mayo shouldn't really be in the starting line up at all.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
jakes right boot said:
Mayo did well today but Hinshelwood was the cause of their second goal, as he was against MK Dons and Northampton. The rest of the game Hinsh was ok but he is making costly mistakes.

Kuipers 8
Whing 7
Hinshelwood 7
Butters 8
Mayo 7
Fraser 6
Hammond 8
El Abd 7
ox 7
Robinson 7
Revell 9

Lynch 6
Bowditch 7

We could always drop Hinsh then and play Mayo in his place. We'd be a much stronger side then.

:D

jakes right boot

Jul 29, 2006
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on today at the PARADE

Zebedee said:
The fact is that Mayo shouldn't really be in the starting line up at all.

Several managers over the last 10 years disagree with your point of view.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on today at the PARADE

jakes right boot said:
Several managers over the last 10 years disagree with your point of view.

Kerry will always be a Brighton legend for me and he bleeds the blue and white stripes of that I have no doubt. But his lack of pace is becoming increasingly more of a liability and we should be looking to remove all the weak links in the side if we can. If we are to have any chance of getting into the play-offs this season there is no room for sentiment. Players must be selected on merit and merit alone.

Last edited:

jakes right boot

Jul 29, 2006
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on today at the PARADE

Zebedee said:
Players must be selected on merit and merit alone.

Totally agree but some views on merit differ from others.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on today at the PARADE

jakes right boot said:
Totally agree but some views on merit differ from others.

Very true. But wouldn't life be boring if we all held the same views.

:)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here