Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Music industry deaths.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Jacko and Hendrix

I have a couple of recordings of Hendrix live at Woodstock and the Isle of Wight...would have been wonderful to have added Glastonbury to that list...absolutely massive!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Its funny to think that Divine's grossout in Pink Flamingos for eating dogshit is acceptable today when compared with buying a burger from Withdean.

Okay - speaking of lesser-known impacts on music, there was Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone. They went on to become, basically, Temple of The Dog, which spawned Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.
Without Mother Love Bone, I'm not so sure 'Grunge' would have become a new musical genre (not to extol its' virtues though, necessarily).
Andrew Wood was influenced by Marc Bolan and glam in general - as were Supergrass incidentally.

[yt]fDY2DVju1c4[/yt]

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Better get used to it, they're going to be coming thick and fast from here on in. Surviving members of The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Abba, every damn band you ever heard of in the Sixties/Seventies in fact. Not to mention the Neil Youngs and the Neil Diamonds and other solo artists not called Neil. Hard to care really, unless they happen to be immediate family. They're old people now. They'll die soon. That's how life is :shrug:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Hendrix and Joplin, so close together.

Better get used to it, they're going to be coming thick and fast from here on in. Surviving members of The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, Abba, every damn band you ever heard of in the Sixties/Seventies in fact. Not to mention the Neil Youngs and the Neil Diamonds and other solo artists not called Neil. Hard to care really, unless they happen to be immediate family. They're old people now. They'll die soon. That's how life is :shrug:

No way! You ought to rename y'self 'Phil Officer'

p.s. I....don't think anyone was disputing the likelyhood of music people NOT dying. As one deadun' said - "no one getss outta here alive". Just sayin', like.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

I think the point was that Bonham, Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison et al were NOT old people when they died and there was every chance they would have done significant work in the future.

My candidate is Simon Jeffes, Founder and Composer of the Penguin Cafe Orchestra who died of a brain tumour at the age of 48 - a dreadful waste of a wonderful talent.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Really! An obscure one, I would say.
I was a bit of a fan, before he died, so I have a couple of earlier things by him.
A strange death that - suicide by stabbing himself in the heart. :nono:

[yt]0ADiSSNWU90[/yt]

He was in Heatmiser along with his old friend who became the organist/guitarist/vocalist of legendary husband-and-wife alt-blues-rock-novelty-electro band Quasi. Did a few cool, rockier tracks with Heatmiser with some expert basslines.
I saw him live once back at Glastonbury in 2002 or something Elliott Smith. It was a Friday night and i was excited about him playing. I'd managed to neck about 3 pills that afternoon, so by the time he came on, my enthusiam had grown wild and i warbled his every note as he sang. It ruined it for many people around me as my decibelic control had long gone, but i loved it truly. I just can't really remember what he sang or how long for. I only recall my mate, pilled-up too, but rolling his eyes in disgust at my endless gurny singing.

Wish i'd been a bit older and he'd lived a bit longer to maybe make me cry for real in public in some arty hall one evening.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hugh Mundell.
Tenor Saw.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here