Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Phil Lynott 36
Karen Carpenter 32

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Ronnie Van Zant, Steve and Cassie Gaines, the heart of Lynyrd Skynyrd, died in a plane crash on the way to a gig in Louisiana in 1977.

I don't pretend that they compare with the global impact of Lennon, Mercury and Hendrix, but these were another example of tragic untimely deaths in the music industry.

Bhafcman

1958-Forever
Apr 19, 2009
tupac shakur and notorious b.i.g. when they died rap music may as well gone with them both only 25 as well and a mention to jacko

Last edited:

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Good call there!

Robert Johnson.

I was SHOCKED when he popped his little clogs.

Did the devil make you type that at the crossroads, then, otherwise you are just being silly because this happened before you died, or just a poseur.

Lennon's death will remain the most shocking because of its nature, although I think the man's inspiration had run dry

Hendrix was the saddest because I think he had so much more to give.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
BTW, Muddy Waters??? he was in his late 60s early 70s, don't think you can call that premature really.

Quite. I was saddened by his, Howling Wolf and John Lee Hooker's deaths but they all had a good innings (especially JLH) and they scarcely came as a surprise.

The two deaths that affected me most were Bob Marley and Marvin Gaye - the latter because I'd seen him play a gig just 9 months before, the latter because it was such a shock.

The other death that shocked me was Mikey Smith, the dub poet who was stoned to death not too long after I saw him play the Top Rank, a great talent taken from us tragically young.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Ronnie Van Zant, Steve and Cassie Gaines, the heart of Lynyrd Skynyrd, died in a plane crash on the way to a gig in Louisiana in 1977.

I don't pretend that they compare with the global impact of Lennon, Mercury and Hendrix, but these were another example of tragic untimely deaths in the music industry.
Good call - just released their best album (IMHO) and would have kicked on to be huge.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If I can have people from before I was born then Mozart; he died tragically young. Out of the modern era then probably John Lennon; although a good call there Barry on Ronnie, Steve and Cassie, I absolutely LOVED Lynyrd Skynyrd.

EDIT: And an honourable mention for Jez Bird as well. If your response to that is 'who?', well it's your loss.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Ian Curtis, of Joy Division, in 1980.

Mar 3, 2004
Hove
For me its Lennon, Harrison and Jacko. Grew up listneing to Jacko and became a big fan of the Beatles in my late teens, early twenties.
Also remember Keith Moon's death being quiet a shock in the late 70's.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Jon Lee from Feeder, personally.

Also thought Layne Staley was a great loss but unfortunately it looked inevitable for some time beforehand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here