Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray really needs to learn the offside rule

brightonbear

Jan 2, 2008
Kinda kills your argument

For god's sake! How many times has he been caught offside in this match :shootself:shootself :shrug:

I think it's more a case of being unlucky with bad decisions

Attachments

• murray offside.jpg
    murray offside.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 185

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
This was f***ing cup football and he f***ing equalised and took it to f***ing extra time. It then went to penalties and we f***ing won!!!!!

That's f***ing right, so all these f***ing moaners should shut the f*** up.
Or are the f***ing moaners only f***ing happy when they f***ing have someone or something to f***ing moan about?

Get in there Ruby my son, your class will tell!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is really annoying to hear most of the prats that write on here slagging Glen Murray off as a striker, there are a number who appreciate his positional play but very few who write on NSC. He is going to be right on the line between on or offside and on tonights performance he showed his class and ability. His problem is that he lurks near the line and is often wrongly judged to be offside as was the case on a number of occassions this evening with the lino with red and yellow flag who couldnt keep up with play as City's back 4 played near to the half way line. The wrong decisions was mentioned by brightonbear and is so true

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It is really annoying to hear most of the prats that write on here slagging Glen Murray off as a striker, there are a number who appreciate his positional play but very few who write on NSC. He is going to be right on the line between on or offside and on tonights performance he showed his class and ability. His problem is that he lurks near the line and is often wrongly judged to be offside as was the case on a number of occassions this evening with the lino with red and yellow flag who couldnt keep up with play as City's back 4 played near to the half way line. The wrong decisions was mentioned by brightonbear and is so true

The ones i was level with were not evev close.

Yeah he scored tonight and played OK, however he really does need to learnt the off side rule.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
In response to Brightonbears post...

If that photo was a decision given as offside that is f***ing shameful on the lino's part :nono:

I suspected there were at least a few occassion when Glenn wasn't actually offside, and it appears I was correct!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
In response to Brightonbears post...

If that photo was a decision given as offside that is f***ing shameful on the lino's part :nono:

I suspected there were at least a few occassion when Glenn wasn't actually offside, and it appears I was correct!

How is that a disgrace?!?! Its bloody close and it takes a photo to show is is just on side.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
How is that a disgrace?!?! Its bloody close and it takes a photo to show is is just on side.

That is NOT close for a lino whose sole job it is to get that kind of decision right.

Not close at all, Murray isn't even in line with the last defender, he's behind him for christ sake!!

Anyway it wasn't just the one decision where he got it wrong, I had a good view of a couple of others last night as well.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That is NOT close for a lino whose sole job it is to get that kind of decision right.

Not close at all, Murray isn't even in line with the last defender, he's behind him for christ sake!!

Anyway it wasn't just the one decision where he got it wrong, I had a good view of a couple of others last night as well.

Erm it is fairly close, he is noy behind the defender.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Erm it is fairly close, he is noy behind the defender.

How close is close though? ??? Because in my mind he has set off on the "wrong side" of the defender to even be considered as off side. I'm sure if that freeze frame was shown on MOTD along with a few other decisions the pundit's would slag off the lino as well!

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
sort your f***ing life out mate.

WTF? He got caught offside about seven times last nite, I'm sure other strikers in the league do not get caught that often. If you want I'll stick to posting off topic rubbish. Noob. :laugh:

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
I think it's more a case of being unlucky with bad decisions

How does that "Kinda kill my arguament" that was once in the entire game. Got any more pics ??? I'm sure there are plenty of wrong offside decisions in the premiership. So one wrong decision dosen't "kill my arguament". Anyway, the ball hasn't been played in that photo, and you cannot tell how fast Murray is running and the defenders are running back,so that photo dosen't prove anything :shrug:

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Of course it has! You can see clear contact between ball and foot. Hence the ball is being played.

Has it.... Sorry my resolution isn't that good. But as I said, there are plenty of wrong offside decisions in the premiership. You just have to deal with it. :wave:

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
people need to get off glenns back - like any other footballer he is a confidence player. How can people call him lazy? He ran and ran his socks off, playing as a lone striker against premiership back four. He was one of the main reasons why we managed to actually play against man city as he gave their defenders no time on the ball. I truly believe if we showed glenn more appreciation and respect we would have a seriously classy act in our hands - just look at how he turned PREMIERSHIP opposition

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
He ran his nuts off to be in position to receive long balls from the defence as an outlet. Held it up well. Scored. What more do you bloody want?

He clearly wasn't ever going to beat their defenders for pace so surely he had no option but to play right on their shoulders? Which means getting caught offside quite a bit, in the hope that once the flag will stay down (it did too, but Schmeichel made a good save).

I heard one numpty shout at Murray for being "lazy" about five minutes into the second period of extra time! FFS... I wish people like that would just stay at home :tosser:

If it was the guy in the North Stand I don't know why he bothers going as he clearly doesn't enjoy it. He moans from start to finish. Every. Single. Game.

Murray played the game perfectly last night. Of course he wasn't going to look better than City's defenders but he had FOUR to deal with most of the night. Unsurprisingly he did look better when he had someone else to share the responsibility.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Everyone's a hero today, so probably a bit churlish to even be discussing this. Murray put in a great, battling performance last night, playing up front on your own against quicker players can be a big ask.

But since we seem to be having the debate, Murray does get caught offside a lot, and that is usually for one of a couple of reasons. The ball isn't being played quick enough (not especially the case last night), or he consistently doesn't get back quick enough from an offside position (probably where the 'lazy' thing came from).

At the end of the day he's our big-money signing, and we all just want to see him be the best player he can possibly be. Adams can improve him. If you don't have real pace, you have to be strong in the other areas and you have to get the playing on the shoulder thing right.

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Forster is always offside, more so than Murray this season. No one ever seems to pick up on it though. If Forster is offside no one says anything. If its Murray people starting shouting 'fucks sake Murray'. Maybe it's a body language thing.

I started working with a Reading a couple of months ago. When I said I was a Brighton fan the first thing he asked was if Forster still gets caught offside loads. I suppose the difference is the goal tally. If Murray had scored a few more it wouldn't be an issue. I like the lad and I think last night will have down him the world of good.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Class player, tough job upfront on his own, tracked back, won headers, held the ball up and laid it off to the wingers.

He scored, he scored his penalty, he even SKINNED Zabeleta with a step over and done him for pace down the wing.

Did his job, and did it well :clap:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Everyone's a hero today, so probably a bit churlish to even be discussing this. Murray put in a great, battling performance last night, playing up front on your own against quicker players can be a big ask.

But since we seem to be having the debate, Murray does get caught offside a lot, and that is usually for one of a couple of reasons. The ball isn't being played quick enough (not especially the case last night), or he consistently doesn't get back quick enough from an offside position (probably where the 'lazy' thing came from).

At the end of the day he's our big-money signing, and we all just want to see him be the best player he can possibly be. Adams can improve him. If you don't have real pace, you have to be strong in the other areas and you have to get the playing on the shoulder thing right.
This is about right IMO. Personally I expect the number of times he gets caught offside WILL diminish the more he plays so I think patience is required with Murray. He's a really good player, and a rough diamond - I think that's the best you can expect from a £300k division 3 player. His control is excellent, he works hard, and his positional awareness is excellent. My only real frustration is that when he loses the ball, to me he doesn't seem to immediately get up and look for space to make himself available again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here