Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray really needs to learn the offside rule

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
I thought Murray was excellent last night. He played much of the game as a loan striker against a Premiership defence. He ran himself into the ground, you could see he was absolutely knackered. He held the ball up well and looked dangerous when he had support from Virgo later in the game. Scored a goal and put away a penalty.

I wasn't in the right place to be able to comment on the off sides but some of them seemed to be a long time coming. You thought he was through and then it was an age before the flag was raised.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Murray is our very own Emile Heskey :clap2:
Doesn't always look great, falls over, gets caught offside and gets a bit of a slating from the "fans" but also unsettles the defenders and scores goals.

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Portslade, The Blue Anchor
No debate needed, Murray was quality last night and worked his socks off. I remember 1 of the off sides where he'd made a run but the pass was intercepted but went to Thomson, who immediately played it blindly into the space where Murray was in an off side position. Hardly Murrays fault!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
He ran his nuts off to be in position to receive long balls from the defence as an outlet. Held it up well. Scored. What more do you bloody want?

He clearly wasn't ever going to beat their defenders for pace so surely he had no option but to play right on their shoulders? Which means getting caught offside quite a bit, in the hope that once the flag will stay down (it did too, but Schmeichel made a good save).

I heard one numpty shout at Murray for being "lazy" about five minutes into the second period of extra time! FFS... I wish people like that would just stay at home :tosser:
The same numpty (or maybe another one) was somewhere in the middle of C Block - row M, seat 80ish?). What did he expect? Murray did well against 2 international defenders and often held the ball up enough to either win a throw or bring the midfielders into the game.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
WTF? He got caught offside about seven times last nite, I'm sure other strikers in the league do not get caught that often. If you want I'll stick to posting off topic rubbish. Noob. :laugh:
Well that's preferable to "on topic" rubbish like slagging off a player - who worked his bollocks off for the team and was the victim of a DIRE linesman on numerous occasions - when YOU'RE NOT EVEN AT THE GAME. ???

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sitting where we do in the south Stand we are usually right on the line where the defenders are when defending high up the pitch. Of the decisions last night, I'd say the lino got 2 or 3 wrong, the one shown above wasn't the most obious 1. On one occasion Murray was in the gap between the 2 central defenders when the ball was played, about 3 feet behind the nearest man. He turned onto the ball, and went through the gap, only for the lino to flag him incorrectly offside. However, on other occasions, he was slow in getting back in line following an attack, and was rightly flagged for 'coming back', which is why those flags went up late.

There was some numpty in front of me who slagged Murray off the whole of the match, even when he wasn't offside! I bit my lip right up to the point where Glenn scored, when he still had a go say it was only a tap in!! I then shouted out ' how dare Murray have the timerity to go and score, and spoil it for everyone' .. I got a ripple of applause from people around me. The numpty shut up after that.

Glenn isn't perfect, but neither is Forster when it comes to getting caught off-side; he played well last night and I personally think he's a good player, with the potential to be great for us.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately you will always get people moaning and shouting at Murray when, I suspect, they haven't a clue about the current offside rulings. Murray plays on last defender and because of the inept officials will more often get called for offside than not. In the second half, I was in line with about 3 decisions which went against him which were clearly not offside. We also had a muppet by us asking why, in the second period of extra time, Murray was knackered when he hadn't done anything. Only led the line singlehandedly for 90 mins against international defenders.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
That is NOT close for a lino whose sole job it is to get that kind of decision right.

Not close at all, Murray isn't even in line with the last defender, he's behind him for christ sake!!

Anyway it wasn't just the one decision where he got it wrong, I had a good view of a couple of others last night as well.

His head looks offside so he's offside

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I wish we had a few more "lazy" players with the ability Murray's got.

Someone else mentioned body language, and that's it I think. He has an air of indifference - just look at his reaction to scoring the equaliser against the world's richest club in the final minute!

That's not the same as not caring. Micky's talked about Murray's laid-back attitude to scoring... doesn't change his game just because he's missed a chance or two. That's surely a good thing for a striker? Better than, say, the Alex Revell example... chase balls aimlessly, win over large sections of the crowd with your "attitude', but let any mistakes ruin the rest of your game?

Murray's demeanour reminds me a bit of Chris Waddle, who used to get slagged all the time. Funnily enough, he wasn't a bad player though....

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
He needs to learn it fast, but saying that didn't Man city defence play the offside trap really well.

God, definitely. I was watching their backline hold, step back, and push up, and they were completely synchronised. I've got a table football game where the players aren't that well lined up and there's a steel bar through their torsos.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
the thing is he is not the quickest player in the world therefore relies on being right on the shoulder of the last defender.....he will get caught and annoy the f*** out of all of us, but the point with Murray is that he gets into those positions. I would rather have him than a forward who is half a yard off the pace.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
God, definitely. I was watching their backline hold, step back, and push up, and they were completely synchronised. I've got a table football game where the players aren't that well lined up and there's a steel bar through their torsos.

BTW good podcast performance from the E4 Edingburgh Festival series:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

brightonbear

Jan 2, 2008
How does that "Kinda kill my arguament" that was once in the entire game. Got any more pics ??? I'm sure there are plenty of wrong offside decisions in the premiership. So one wrong decision dosen't "kill my arguament". Anyway, the ball hasn't been played in that photo, and you cannot tell how fast Murray is running and the defenders are running back,so that photo dosen't prove anything :shrug:

Well if you want me to flood this site with a load of pics I will, but what I was trying to demonstrate was the type of run Muzza (and for that matter Fozzie) makes on lots of occasions that are deemed as offside by incompetent officials. That's not Glenn's fault and hopefully he'll get a correct decision soon.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Murray plays off the last defender, of course he's going to get caught offside! Stop moaning about it & get behind him & the rest of the team. We saw what he is capable of last season so let's support him & get him back to his best.

Great result last night - one of the biggest at the Withdean. Let's build on that!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brilliant.

We pull ourselves up from a dire display against 9 men to beat a Premier League side- and don't let people kid you that it was a complete reserve XI City put out, because it wasn't- knocking the richest club in the world out of the Carling Cup.

Yet people still want to crap on about Glenn Murray's interpretation of the offside rule.

Get some bloody perspective, you idiots. If you lot won £20 million on the lottery, you'd probably be sat there moaning that the cheque was signed in blue ink instead of black. Just for ONCE, can we actually enjoy something, without miserable bastards looking for the negatives?

Well done on last night, Glenn, and every other player: don't let the buggers get you down
:thumbsup:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It's the way he plays - off sides will happen. Man City defence were awesome at the off-side trap. Murray ran himself into the floor - so no one apart from a football ignoramus could call him lazy. He's one of the first on the team sheet and bloody rightly so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here