Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray/Poyet falling out

Lush

Mods' Pet
I always think that the best strikers are cocky little gits. It gives them the confidence they need to beat defenders and score goals. If Glenn thinks he is better than the players Gus has on the pitch, and plays like it, that can only be a good thing.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
There is every chance though that it is tactical. I know to the naked eye you see Murray comes on and we look more dangerous. Obvious conclusion, play Murray.. However if Gus thinks we need to stop an opposition player doing something that aids the opposition or he needs his striker to tuck in and do a slightly unconvential role then perhaps in recent games Barnes has been more suited to that role. Morris was making the point earlier about Murray being excellent defending set pieces, which i totally agree with, although one moment that stuck out yesterday was Barnes throwing himself in front of a Lallana shot in the first half. Would Glenn have been back there, would he have chucked himself in the way? I don't know. Although I don't think its always as simple as some people like to make out.

f***ing spot on. It's not always as black and white as it may seem. Gus changes his team/tactics in mind of the opposition.

Feb 14, 2010
Who knows if its true but Murray falls out with manager shock? Now where I have heard that before, heard that before, heard that before... quite possible. Murray is one of our best players, always has been, but whilst he is good, he has proved to be high maintenance at the Albion, just ask Slade.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Why is Murray no longer taking penalties?
He smashed one in against Woking and then stood and watched a brand new loanee take the last two.
If he had taken every pen since the start of the season, everyone would be raving about his goal tally and he would have been close to double figures by now. ( Assuming he converted most of them )

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
His penalty against Woking was superb unlike some he has taken in the league games. If you could rely on him doing the same each time there would be no disputing who our penalty taker would be.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He smashed one in against Woking and then stood and watched a brand new loanee take the last two.
If he had taken every pen since the start of the season, everyone would be raving about his goal tally and he would have been close to double figures by now. ( Assuming he converted most of them )

Have a look at how many he has missed and how shit they were... unrealiable penalty taker nowadays for some reason

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
If this is true, which to be honest we all hope it isn't, you can't really blame Glenn for being a tad miffed.

Gus has kept faith with barnes, when he has been misfiring ( yes he is leading scorer but on the laws of averages, he should be) and then he brings in a loanee and plays him ahead of Glenn,

I actually feel sorry for him

Spot on Dave.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
I heard from an immediate relative of one of the current players that Gus laid into Murray big time in the dressing room after the bristol rovers game.

{awaits flaming for posting spurious rumour from unreliable source}

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Real shame if he has, as we've waited so long to see the kind of effort he now puts into his game and his quality of touch is the best we have, Barnes and Wood have yet to prove themselves as the goal scorers we need and so to an extent has Murray but he makes a lot of goals so surely has to be a starter, unless of course he prefers only doing a 30 minute stint.
Interesting to see if he starts against FCUM but they all need to look a lot more interested than they did against Woking, which was the start of our bad patch, a good 3-0, 4-0 win will boost confidence and prove we can score without Kazenga. Saying we don't care about the cup makes me think about how Arsenal never give a f*** about the cups and they win FA else as well, Man Utd and Chelsea do care about the cups, all winners have to, you can't switch a winners instinct on and off.

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
I dont think it is a major concern. Perhaps murray should of been dropped for the Bristol game and mxing things up was not a bad thing. However i was really suprised that Murray didnt start at saints.

Jaidi got a pasting from murray last year. He looked like a world beater for 60 mins then murray comes on and ruined him again making him look nothing more than poor. I think poyet may of just made a mistake in not starting murray but it certainly doesnt look like a case of murray being unhappy.

We have all seen murray unhappy and its glaringly obvious when he is pissed off. However, recently he doesnt look unhappy and has been putting in a shift on the pitch.

He will start on sat and score a couple and normal service will be resumed.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I heard from an immediate relative of one of the current players that Gus laid into Murray big time in the dressing room after the bristol rovers game.

{awaits flaming for posting spurious rumour from unreliable source}

I've heard all this from a non-playing source at the club, so I'm quite sure that it's true.

Let's just hope they can get over this and move on. We know that Murray has a huge amount of talent, let's hope he goes out and proves himself in the matches to come.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I hope this isn't true. The last 2 games I think we may of got 6 points if we had just started with Murray

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

He took our first penalty of the season, and he missed it and we went on to lose and get dumped out of the JPT.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I've heard all this from a non-playing source at the club, so I'm quite sure that it's true.

Let's just hope they can get over this and move on. We know that Murray has a huge amount of talent, let's hope he goes out and proves himself in the matches to come.

If it's true, then I guess Murray is a dead man walking. Gus doesn't take prisoners, as Forster found out. I like GP and his no nonsense attitude. He answers to himself and no one else and that's why we are running a more professional set up.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
There is every chance though that it is tactical. I know to the naked eye you see Murray comes on and we look more dangerous. Obvious conclusion, play Murray.. However if Gus thinks we need to stop an opposition player doing something that aids the opposition or he needs his striker to tuck in and do a slightly unconvential role then perhaps in recent games Barnes has been more suited to that role. Morris was making the point earlier about Murray being excellent defending set pieces, which i totally agree with, although one moment that stuck out yesterday was Barnes throwing himself in front of a Lallana shot in the first half. Would Glenn have been back there, would he have chucked himself in the way? I don't know. Although I don't think its always as simple as some people like to make out.
Well Barnes did that, Wood didn't really. I'd argue that with Murray on we might not have been under so much pressure throughout the first 35-40 minutes because, as well as giving it away at the back, any ball that left our half was quickly lost by the front two, with Murray that would not have been the case.

Anyway that's not really the point I was trying to make, the people who say "oh it might be tactical" are purely speculating so they can't have a go at people posting stuff that has been genuinely told to them even though it may not be true.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Murray is pissed off he seems twice as interested as he used to be when we knew he was pissed off, how does that work

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009

Agreed - we've got to hope that this is the kind of falling-out that comes when you are striving for excellence, not a nicky-forster style dummy-spit.

As others have pointed out, Muzza still looks relatively keen and happy, even as sub, and I personally think he is the best thing since sliced bread - at rovers, woking and soton he has been a completey different gravy to our other forwards ..

Lets hope they sort it out...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can believe some of these rumours by why on earth would Gus lay into Murray after the Bristol Rovers game? He was one of the best players on the pitch.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
i agrree - he was excellent. apparently a couple of the players tried to stand up for him too. Just hearsay...

hopefully gus is trying the tough love approach to harden up muzza to become even more potent

edit: that sounds a bit gay, doesnt it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here