Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Much as it hurts to lose to SCC.....

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
When it comes to the maritime history of the uk Portsmouth triumphs over Shamton. I used to work in Shampton and can only describe it is uninteresting.That was also the view of some of the staff I worked with as well !!! Brighton is a very vibrant city in comparison you just need to ask the thousands of students that come here every year. As for football, yes, Saints are way ahead of Albion at the moment but we will catch up in time. I think they will get promoted and good luck to them.

Well said...we are in Year 1 of our journey. The reality is that we have an over performing (in terms if league position) league 1 squad. Jan window & next summer we may get the signing we need to move into a side that challenges...the development squad also needs to start developing first team players

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Evidence would be handy to correct me.

and go....

Martin Ryle, Nobel Prize winner for physics was born in Brighton
Churchill and Vaughan Williams both attended schools in Brighton
Admiral Codrington lived for many years in the city, as did Napoleon III
Rudyard Kipling, also a Nobel Prize winner, lived in the area for many years and wrote about the city and the county
Dame Anita Roddick opened the first ever Body Shop in Brighton

This is not to mention the Brighton Bomb (the most high profile assassination attempt in modern British political history), the numerous party conferences, the substantial bombing Brighton was subjected to in WWII, the architecture (particularly the Royal Pavilion), and the unique culture

Southampton's biggest claim to fame is that the 2010 X-Factor winner Matt Cardle was born there - and you think our culture is superficial!

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
TBH these sort of debates are pretty stupid.

Southampton and Brighton are two completely different cities with totally different histories. It is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Having lived in Hove for many years I can say categorically that Brighton & Hove is a fantastic place to live and raise a family. Not that my beloved Southampton is not, mind. B&H is blessed with many wonderful attributes not least of which is that the city is one of the most liberal, easy-going and truly tolerant places in the world. Yes, the world. Just recently we elected the first ever Green MP and have a Green-led council too. Now, whatever your personal politics you must admit that that is pretty groundbreaking.

Southampton has the New Forest on its doorstep, we have the beautiful rolling South Downs. I adore the Forest, grew up scampering around it but is there anymore perfect thing to do than a long walk up on the Devils Dyke?

Southampton has always been an industrial city, with the container and cruise ports playing a huge roll. Here in B&H there is a very vibrant Digital Media industry. Yes, the Chelsea-on-Sea brigade can get a tad annoying (especially when they complain about football stadiums in their back yard) but by and large the city benefits greatly from the diversity of the population.

The one thing that Brighton lacks is a good shopping center. Sorry, but the Churchill center hasn't got anything on West Quay.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
TBH these sort of debates are pretty stupid.

Southampton and Brighton are two completely different cities with totally different histories. It is like comparing chalk and cheese.

Having lived in Hove for many years I can say categorically that Brighton & Hove is a fantastic place to live and raise a family. Not that my beloved Southampton is not, mind. B&H is blessed with many wonderful attributes not least of which is that the city is one of the most liberal, easy-going and truly tolerant places in the world. Yes, the world. Just recently we elected the first ever Green MP and have a Green-led council too. Now, whatever your personal politics you must admit that that is pretty groundbreaking.

Southampton has the New Forest on its doorstep, we have the beautiful rolling South Downs. I adore the Forest, grew up scampering around it but is there anymore perfect thing to do than a long walk up on the Devils Dyke?

Southampton has always been an industrial city, with the container and cruise ports playing a huge roll. Here in B&H there is a very vibrant Digital Media industry. Yes, the Chelsea-on-Sea brigade can get a tad annoying (especially when they complain about football stadiums in their back yard) but by and large the city benefits greatly from the diversity of the population.

The one thing that Brighton lacks is a good shopping center. Sorry, but the Churchill center hasn't got anything on West Quay.

Can't disagree with any of that really but not sure what the 'Chelsea on Sea Brigade' referred to ? Sorry if I am thick !

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Im glad. Now we can shove that stupid soton more important than palace up gus arse and get on with the serious business of beating palace on the 31/1. The return match agsinst saints should only EVER be a footnote.

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
Can't disagree with any of that really but not sure what the 'Chelsea on Sea Brigade' referred to ? Sorry if I am thick !

Daddy works in the City, Mummy is an 'interior decorator', Daughter goes to Roedean and Son is captain of the Eton egg-chasing team ;) ;)

Oh, and they all moved 'out to the country' but still have a large pad in London and a chalet in Verbier. And they hate building anything in or around Falmer.

(I've just realised that I must sound like a right intolerant so-n-so! Anyone fitting that description, it is only meant as a gentle joke...)

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Im glad. Now we can shove that stupid soton more important than palace up gus arse and get on with the serious business of beating palace on the 31/1. The return match agsinst saints should only EVER be a footnote.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Daddy works in the City, Mummy is an 'interior decorator', Daughter goes to Roedean and Son is captain of the Eton egg-chasing team ;) ;)

Oh, and they all moved 'out to the country' but still have a large pad in London and a chalet in Verbier. And they hate building anything in or around Falmer.

(I've just realised that I must sound like a right intolerant so-n-so! Anyone fitting that description, it is only meant as a gentle joke...)

Thanks for that!

If you think about it, Isn't it time to leave Chelsea and Southampton behind you ?

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
Thanks for that!

If you think about it, Isn't it time to leave Chelsea and Southampton behind you ?

I've never given a smeg about Chelsea. And the 'Chelsea-on-Sea' label has nothing to do with the football club.

As leaving Southampton behind me, NEVER! Would you stop being a seagull if you moved to Southampton?

(I do, however get a season ticket to Sussex CCC every summer. Can't be buggered to be tribal about cricket. Anyway, I'm from the Isle of Wight originally which is NOT part of Hampshire.)

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I've never given a smeg about Chelsea. And the 'Chelsea-on-Sea' label has nothing to do with the football club.

As leaving Southampton behind me, NEVER! Would you stop being a seagull if you moved to Southampton?

(I do, however get a season ticket to Sussex CCC every summer. Can't be buggered to be tribal about cricket. Anyway, I'm from the Isle of Wight originally which is NOT part of Hampshire.)

Fair enough, didn't get from your post you had lived in Soton !

Cheers

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
You can't manufacture a soul to a city. Brighton's so called vibrancy is only on the surface and once scratched the divide between the rich and poor areas are possibly deeper than anywhere else in the South.

I agree it's a middle class mecca and London media types absolutely fawn over it, which is nice, I suppose.

I can travel a couple of miles from my house to be in the New Forest, Meon Valley, fishing on the River Itchen, and be on many sandy beaches, watching the cruise ships come and go. Or take a walk round the City walls and through Southampton's award winning parks or across the Common (which New York's central park was modelled on, apparently). Marvellous. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Well you'd know all about that - bearing in mind you conveniently ignore the bleedin' obvious about the soulless, unfriendly, boring, shit-pit of a city that you rate so highly. Now go gloat the f*** off elsewhere: preferably a Portsmouth forum (seeing as none of you arrogant Stains fans really care about us, apparently). :wave:

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
Well you'd know all about that - bearing in mind you conveniently ignore the bleedin' obvious about the soulless, unfriendly, boring, shit-pit of a city that you rate so highly. Now go gloat the f*** off elsewhere: preferably a Portsmouth forum (seeing as none of you arrogant Stains fans really care about us, apparently). :wave:

I care about Albion. Always have. Have a lot of affection for the club. As I have said many times before, I genuinely want both Saints and Albion to be in the Prem. I also helped out in the Falmer campaign by writing to My MP. So while I naturally want Saints to win the division, it would be wonderful if Gus can get you lot sorted out and at least into the playoffs.

Some of the younger fans (of both clubs) probably think the Albion v Saints fixture is a huge crunch game like Albion/Palace or Saints/Pompey and should therefore be treated with maximum amount of swagger and 'agro'. There was a few tanked-up kids on the train on the way back yesterday trying to get me into a fight. One lippy teenager even threatened to 'bring me down' for wearing my colours in 'his town'. When I politely pointed out that I had probably lived here for longer than he had been alive he started calling me a Palace fan. I'm not sure of his exact IQ but it can't have been too high considering he had just told me not to wear my Saints shirt in his 'manor'. Oh well. All clubs everywhere have their fair share of idiots. Ours included: Anyone who registers with a name like 'onlyregisteredtogloat' is obviously only here for the wind up.

saintbrighton1

Nov 20, 2011
I'm also a saints fan living in brighton and from the Isle of Wight and I have to agree with Hovesaint brighton is a fantastic place to live and work. Ive been here for 6 years and cant say I would want to live anywhere else!. there such a buzz in the summer here compared to most places in the Uk

So brighton fans there no need to justify where we live. Portsmouth on the other hand is not a very nice city, aggressive people in one of the most depressing cities in the UK. But Im a born saints fan and always will be, its a shame that Gus has come out with some silly comments over the past couple of season because most saints fan did like Brighton.

Personally I will only follow brightons results when Gus goes!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here