Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mrs Brown's Boys

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Mrs has got this on catchup, and is watching it now. Feel like gouging my eyeballs out with a rusty nail. Still, the trade off was, she's bought me a case of Timmy Taylor for Saturday. I can handle half an hour of this godawful incestuous shite for something as glourious as a case of TTL :)

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Update: MBB has won best sitcom at the National Television Awards tonight. Only goes to show that the judges are on day release from somewhere....

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Update: MBB has won best sitcom at the National Television Awards tonight. Only goes to show that the judges are on day release from somewhere....

That idiot Miranda won something to didn't she? RIP British comedy.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
As a 43-year-old who grew up on comedy - good comedy, bad comedy, traditional comedy, bizarre comedy - I'm sad that my kids are getting nothing like the same education.

Almost all comedies are post-watershed these days and peppered with swearing and sex references. Some do this with more panache than others - at times it's just really lazy writing. (The Thick of It is 99% swearing but does it brilliantly. Fresh Meat has a fraction of the swearing but it strikes me as coarse and unpleasant. Maybe it's an age thing.)

Not many mainstream comedy programmes are suitable for my three primary school aged kids. I'll make honourable exceptions for Father Ted, and most of The IT Crowd, which appeal to the whole family. The kids also really love Outnumbered, though I'm ambivalent.

There was a time when the schedules were full of quality sitcoms and shows that worked on lots of levels - take Porridge, or the best of Only Fools & Horses, Dad's Army, and even shows that were somehow good despite their flaws - Are You Being Served, The Good Life, Rising Damp, etc etc. The whole family could enjoy them. It's sad that this "8.30pm humour" is pretty much extinct now, and Miranda is what we're supposed to accept as a substitute. I fear for the children.

You would let primary school kids watch Father Ted???

Fecking dirty knickers!!!

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
Call miranda and mrs browns boys 'comedies' both very poor and that other shit the bbc put on citizen kahn just embarrassing and to think they got shot of shooting stars for this.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I often see the remark on here that if you don't like something, don't watch it. And I don't. I've watched about five minutes of MBB (and Miranda) to see if there was anything there for me and there wasn't. Lots of shouting, overacting and excruciating laughter tracks. Don't feel the need to ever watch again. Case closed. Good luck to those that enjoy it.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
Call miranda and mrs browns boys 'comedies' both very poor and that other shit the bbc put on citizen kahn just embarrassing and to think they got shot of shooting stars for this.

I was sitting pondering this morning and i suddenly thought Miranda might be growing on me....... Then i realised, it was just a bit of clinging turd that hadn't dropped yet.

All clear now.

robynsdad

Jan 29, 2012
Yes I would, and do. Very little to worry about. The "fecks" are about as post-watershed as the programme gets.

Definitely! If you are prepared to take them to a football game, Father Ted should provide very little to worry about. Plus it is good to expose them to genius early in life.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agreed. Miranda and Mrs Browns boys both remind me of the sort of thing Ricky Gervais took the piss out of with 'When the whistle blows'. I caught the end of Miranda today and they al look to the camera and wave whilst saying Happy Christmas, are you f***ing kidding me? Imagine that on Peep Show, The office or Blackadder.

It's a style called metafiction or 'breaking the fourth wall'.

Have to say I don't find MBB funny at all. As for Miranda, don't personally like it but can see why it appeals to some! As for British comedy, there have been some great shows which the Americans fail to replicate, eg, The Office, Inbetweeners.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
The latest episode of Miranda is a classic, in my book. Easily the best she's done yet. I can quite understand those who don't like it, don't 'get it' or for whom it's just not their style. But it tickles me and many I know, and this one was totally on the money. Quality.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The latest episode of Miranda is a classic, in my book. Easily the best she's done yet. I can quite understand those who don't like it, don't 'get it' or for whom it's just not their style. But it tickles me and many I know, and this one was totally on the money. Quality.

"ARE YOU HAVIN' A LAFF?......IS HE HAVIN' A LAUGH?"

My daughter and I will be settling down to watch this week's episode on catch-up later. Great father/daughter bonding, good clean fun and we haven't missed a single episode yet. Miranda - Yes. Mrs Brown's Boys - No.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes I would, and do. Very little to worry about. The "fecks" are about as post-watershed as the programme gets.
Proper comedy NSFW :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here