Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mrs Brown's Boys

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Any programme that turns the audience sound level up to ear-splitting turns me off immediately. That Mrs Brown thing is just horrendous and the makers of it must reek of embarrassment and refuse to watch it or see the sorts of people ever that do. Miranda is deafening too and completely unsubtle. The Royle Family was a letdown. Lacked feeling and any real depth by having too few characters to work with and the writing seemed a bit unimaginative and unnatural.
8 Out of 10 Cats i only find mirthsome for Sean Locke really, and much of it depends on his routines on there. This one was ok at best. I do find him a chuckle-inducing chap on panel shows.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Any programme that turns the audience sound level up to ear-splitting turns me off immediately. That Mrs Brown thing is just horrendous and the makers of it must reek of embarrassment and refuse to watch it or see the sorts of people ever that do. Miranda is deafening too and completely unsubtle. The Royle Family was a letdown. Lacked feeling and any real depth by having too few characters to work with and the writing seemed a bit unimaginative and unnatural.
8 Out of 10 Cats i only find mirthsome for Sean Locke really, and much of it depends on his routines on there. This one was ok at best. I do find him a chuckle-inducing chap on panel shows.

Lucky you, I just had to sit through the repeat of Downton with Mrs V's family. Wouldn't normally watch it and am now very glad I don't. One birth, one death,a couple of failed romances and a sacking over 2 hours. Bloody awful. Thank god I had alcohol.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My Mrs loves MBB, but I can't for the life of me understand why. She also likes that bollocks that is "His and Hers", which again, I just don't "get". Even she draws the line at Miranda though.... :D

With the exception of Peep Show, there has, IMO, been no original comedy worthy of being up with the likes of OFAH, Porridge, Blackadder,Red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers etc, made in the last 20 years. I understand the appeal of things like Green Wing and The Royle Family, but I personally don't find them amusing. Each to their own.

What galled me the most was the recent reboot of Red Dwarf. It was proper car crash tv :(

Did you not find Men Behaving Badly or One Foot in the Grave rather outstanding sit com of the past 20 years?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Panto as a comedy drama currently on ITV1 is excellent in my humble one.

Indeed. Groucho and gang have influenced decades-worth of comedians. In their best films, simply untouchable.

Miranda is unashamedly old school, and carries it off with charm and silliness. One of the few comedies the whole family can watch, and all the better for that.

Mrs Brown's Boys? Comedy? Not in my book. Bloke doing a Mrs Doubtfire impression and swearing a lot. Poor.

Pleased to see one positive comment for Miranda - the Pottings all love it although for me the Christmas special didn't quite hit the spot. Saw the first episode of MBB a couple of years ago, as someone has commented it is a throwback to very worst of '80's ITV sitcoms (have ITV ever run a good sitcom - and I don't mean "On The Buses".) with every Irish family cliche imaginable. Bizzarely most of the cast of the show are related in real life it appears.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Pleased to see one positive comment for Miranda - the Pottings all love it although for me the Christmas special didn't quite hit the spot. Saw the first episode of MBB a couple of years ago, as someone has commented it is a throwback to very worst of '80's ITV sitcoms (have ITV ever run a good sitcom - and I don't mean "On The Buses".) with every Irish family cliche imaginable. Bizzarely most of the cast of the show are related in real life it appears.

They ran one good sitcom in Men Behaving Badly with Harry Enfield before the Palace scummer Neil Morrisey... then axed it... BBC took it over and the rest is history.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It is a matter of the best possible taste.... each to their own and me being old school loved all the old comedy shows...no swearing,no loud sound,no talking in 'funny' voices. Blackadder,'Allo Allo' Hi dee Hi,Are you being served,Fawlty Towers....innuendo's yes, but never coarse swearing. Comedy from M & W,Dave Allen...even the old slapstick films have more appeal than todays efforts...but as I say...it's a matter of what you find funny.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Sadly I think when it comes to comedy nowadays the Yanks make the funniest tv shows
The best at the moment IMO is MODERN FAMILY it's literally a gag a minute brilliant characters great scripts and I'm in love with the beautiful Gloria the last time I watched a show with so many likeable characters was Fools & Horses And Gavin & Stacey if you've not seen it it's a must (on sky one usually Friday nights )

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
You're right about "Modern Family". I got the box set for Christmas. It's brilliant. We've watched loads of them already. As you said, "great scripts".

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
You're right about "Modern Family". I got the box set for Christmas. It's brilliant. We've watched loads of them already. As you said, "great scripts".

Series 1&2 in hmv at the moment for £20 that's about 48 episodes I think
On series 4 at the moment on sky I can honestly say I've never seen a bad episode Yet

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I've never found Mrs Browns boys funny, but I like to give things a second chance. I can honestly say I sat through the whole episode without even a smirk, it was truely awful.
Now time to settle down to watch Mr Brookers review of the year on beeb 2.
Now this is funny

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
At least the BBC have been sensible and put Miranda and Mrs Brown's Boys on next to each other, creating a "shit TV hour" to avoid.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Sadly I think when it comes to comedy nowadays the Yanks make the funniest tv shows
The best at the moment IMO is MODERN FAMILY it's literally a gag a minute brilliant characters great scripts and I'm in love with the beautiful Gloria the last time I watched a show with so many likeable characters was Fools & Horses And Gavin & Stacey if you've not seen it it's a must (on sky one usually Friday nights )
I’d go along with that. BBC was always the gold standard for comedy. I think the way they were structured helped; they could afford to take some big risks on unknowns and most of the time it paid off. Now it’s all PC focus groups and playing it safe with ‘big names’.

The Yanks used to produce dumbed down, inoffensive laughter-free comedies. Now they seem to have got their act together. The cable companies like HBO and Showtime really took the lead – Curb Your Enthusiasm, Larry Sanders, Flight of the Conchords. But the networks have upped their game as well – Malcolm in the Middle, Big Bang Theory, Arrested Development, Modern Family and the US version of The Office which I think is better than the original.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Comedy on TV died when John Sullivan passed away. I have pretty much given up on TV. Just read books and stuff on this shiny new tablet thingy.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Mrs Brown Boy's is one of those things where if someone says they like it I think "Oh, we probably won't get on that well."

Christ there are some miserable buggers on here - some of the episodes are pretty good...very much a marmite show tho.

Still not many outstanding comedies out there though. 'The Trip' was superb, there are rumours of a follow up...'Curb your enthusiasm' is still fab, albeit hard work..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here