Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mrs Brown's Boys

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Mrs Brown's Boys is terribly unfunny. It's comedy for those who need to be told what is funny.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Definitely the pick of the Christmas tv schedule. Very funny, lost bladder control watching part two tonight, cannot wait for the new series.
Least funny programme I've seen in the last decade or so, which given that includes 'Miranda', 'Life of Riley', 'Not Going Out' and 'Outnumbered' is a pretty hefty badge to wear.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I've known Christmas cracker jokes funnier than Mrs Browns Boys. The jokes are weak and obvious and then desperation prat falls and swearing come out.
The funniest t.v was the triple comedy bill on channel 4 on Christmas Eve.
8 out of 10 cats
Peep Show
Friday night Dinner
Loads of swearing in all three of those but at least they had the decency to be funny.

Agreed. Miranda and Mrs Browns boys both remind me of the sort of thing Ricky Gervais took the piss out of with 'When the whistle blows'. I caught the end of Miranda today and they al look to the camera and wave whilst saying Happy Christmas, are you f***ing kidding me? Imagine that on Peep Show, The office or Blackadder.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Agreed. Miranda and Mrs Browns boys both remind me of the sort of thing Ricky Gervais took the piss out of with 'When the whistle blows'. I caught the end of Miranda today and they al look to the camera and wave whilst saying Happy Christmas, are you f***ing kidding me? Imagine that on Peep Show, The office or Blackadder.

When The whistle blows
" is he havin a larf "
"he's havin a larf "

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Yesterday evening, Ch4 had a 'top 30 Ch4 comedies of the past 30 years' or something like that. Laughed more watching clips of Green Wing, Father Ted, Spaced etc than i did at Miranda, Mrs Brown's Boys etc.

Outnumbered was poor. I usually like it, but it was a bit weak and i think it's run the course now.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Those who don't laugh at Mrs Brown's Boys just don't understand Slapstick comedy. I just watched it and it was very very funny. Some people eh? TNBA TTF
I understand slapstick fine. I'd much prefer to be watching Laurel and Hardy, Harold LLoyd, The Marx Brothers or WC Fields to....well, anything really but Mrs Brown's Boys...I don't think so.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I understand slapstick fine. I'd much prefer to be watching Laurel and Hardy, Harold LLoyd, The Marx Brothers or WC Fields to....well, anything really but Mrs Brown's Boys...I don't think so.

You wait if Trufflehound sees you describe The Marx Bros as slapstick on here.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It was the Joe bit I found pretty unfunny to be honest. Always loved the Royles for it's very realistic portrayal. I just didn't find the Joe bit realistic, the rest was a good giggle though.

It was a strange episode of the Royle Family - not really the type of storyline you traditionally associate with the show. Surreal rather than rooted in reality. The stuff with Joe was close to being in Father Ted territory. Even so, I thought it was very good… The pick of the Christmas TV for me. Thought the first 15-20 minutes were fantastic. I found almost every line laugh out loud funny.

Bazzza67

Feb 6, 2011
Brighton, UK
I thought the Royal Family was the pick so far. The moment with the cheeseboard, (primula, Dairylea or cheese strings) made me laugh out loud. Outnumbered was always about the precocious kids, now they are older, just isn't the same. Mrs Browns Boys had its moments but was all 'f@ck' and 'bast@rd'...my kids love Miranda, but I cannot stand her and have to leave the room..

D

Deleted member 18477

Mrs browns boys was meant to be funny? f***ing hell now that's funny :lolol:

What an awful show!

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
The first episode of mrs browns boys that I watched was actually quite funny, I tried to watch another couple of episodes and didn't laugh once. As for Miranda the adverts for that are bad enough that I have no urge to watch it

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
You wait if Trufflehound sees you describe The Marx Bros as slapstick on here.

Indeed. Groucho and gang have influenced decades-worth of comedians. In their best films, simply untouchable.

Miranda is unashamedly old school, and carries it off with charm and silliness. One of the few comedies the whole family can watch, and all the better for that.

Mrs Brown's Boys? Comedy? Not in my book. Bloke doing a Mrs Doubtfire impression and swearing a lot. Poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here