Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving back to London

Sep 25, 2008
Id have to recommend Lee Green SE12 (thats where I live). Easy enough journey to London Bridge 15 mins and Charing Cross 20 minutes. Okish area and you can get a good house for 250k plus you are an hour and 20 minutes away from Brighton.

Pubs are ok but being close to Waterloo and London Bridge you can jump on a train and have more choice.

Plenty of Newsagents and Mini Marts for food shopping but you would need to go into Bromley, Lewisham or Charlton for a supermarket.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Granted there's a train station now at Shepherds Bush but come on, it's a hole.

Not quite sure how you would come to that conclusion.

The high street is a bit scruffy, but it has very good pubs and (if you are into that sort of thing the brand new Westfield Centre), which as well as being full of shops has very very good restaurants.

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk

The high street is a bit scruffy, but it has very good pubs and (if you are into that sort of thing the brand new Westfield Centre), which as well as being full of shops has very very good restaurants.

Agreed, chez bush is alright actually (even thought I'm a south londoner born and bred), the missus used to live there before we both moved to Suffolk. The single best place in the bush has to be Albertines wine bar on wood lane, cracking wines and tasty home cooked food (including haggis, Neeps and Tatties), many many drunken nights spent in there. and they do take outs as well, at half the price of what it would cost if you were drinking in.

Esbee - glad you agree, Xian is where me and the missus spent our last meal in orpington before moving to suffolk, no chinese comes anywhere close to it up here!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Having worked there not so long ago I would say that only Edmonton is worse in London.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Id have to recommend Lee Green SE12 (thats where I live). Easy enough journey to London Bridge 15 mins and Charing Cross 20 minutes. Okish area and you can get a good house for 250k plus you are an hour and 20 minutes away from Brighton.

Pubs are ok but being close to Waterloo and London Bridge you can jump on a train and have more choice.

Plenty of Newsagents and Mini Marts for food shopping but you would need to go into Bromley, Lewisham or Charlton for a supermarket.

Petts Wood and Orpington as well for Supermarkets.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I much prefer South London to North, but I would say that because I lived there for nine years.

Anyway, Tooting and Balham are both good shouts but if you're looking for something a little quieter, I could recommend Raynes Park. Excellent links into London; plenty of buses, a few mins from Wimbledon and the underground/tram and the northern line at South Wimbledon.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Northern line via Bank branch southbound to Euston 5 stops, walk across 30 ft across the platforms to Southbound Victoria Line, 4 stops to Victoria, walk across concourse to platforms 16-19, 50 min train to Brighton. Door to door 90 mins. Sorted.

90mins (a good day?) on public transport after an Albion match is NO FUN - especially if it's been raining/is cold.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But it IS tiny (I've been to flats in that block).

Point is: Balham is overpriced. Surrounding areas are much better value.

Certainly is. I sold a flat in Balham and moved to a house in Tooting. It was only about a mile away, yet a bigger house was £20,000 cheaper. And that was before the Balham prices really picked up.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Bushy,

I'm with you on this one. Camden is the place for people who are new
to London and think it's the centre of the Universe, market, bars etc etc.

One grows out of that feeling after a year or so and realises it's a tourist's
place, with an over-rated grunge-based market and a parody of itself.

Agree, but disagree Camden is a great place to live if you like live music and can afford the beers, whoever it is very much turning into carnaby street as more and more high street shops move in and when not if they do the tube station up camden will not be the same. Having said that camden like many like many live music areas has completly changed since the no smoking ban, which is a goood thing. The cost of flats is outragous for the area as it is a slum apart from regents park side. Drugs everywhere ........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here