Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving back to London

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
East Finchley's good. Just north of Highgate, got Highgate Woods, Hampstead Heath and Ally Pally all nearby plus you're on the Northern Line and it's a 30 min tube ride into town/the city. Fairly quiet and the best cinema in London - The Phoenix. Good pubs/shops and it's fairly quiet and safe.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yes, but its not london is it ? its a commuter town, he wants to live where there is lots going on.

It's hardly an epic journey into London and there are buses from the centre of London 24/7.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
East Finchley's good. Just north of Highgate, got Highgate Woods, Hampstead Heath and Ally Pally all nearby plus you're on the Northern Line and it's a 30 min tube ride into town/the city. Fairly quiet and the best cinema in London - The Phoenix. Good pubs/shops and it's fairly quiet and safe.

good call :thumbsup:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Just had a look and the quickest journey from Orpington to London is 37 minutes. I agree that it's quicker but the sake of a 25 minute time saving, he might as well live in a nicer place.

You must be looking at the wrong timetable, never takes me that long or anything like it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
My step-daughter has moved to Sydenham (14 mins from London Bridge) - surprisingly leafy and quiet, if little close to Palace.

It is dangerously close to Smellworst but if they don't cough up the rent it might not be a problem. Living in Sutton could be though.

Last edited:

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
i spent most of my life in london and can add my thoughts. agree with most people on here , stay in south london. brockley is nice , i have mates there. i think the person who suggested new addington is having a laugh its a true true hovel. if people from croydon call people from new addington "addo scum" that should tell you all you need to know.

ill add in to the mix herne hill (just up the road from brixton ) big park , nice pubs etc. east dulwich . good luck

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
From a local knowledge point of view, that should get you a one bedroom victorian conversion in Clapham.

Would also get you a two bedroom ex-local authority place.

If moving round here, I'd be more inclined to look in Balham and the "Clapham Junction" area of Wandsworth which are nicer areas in my opinion.

Get on Globrix, type in a budget and search by moving the map around. Will give you a better than anything indication of what can be bought.

Worth remembering that any "outside space" (they've probably been banned from calling them gardens under the trade descriptions act) is at a premium in the central areas.

Shared gardens are very common, as are gardens that are split up between flats like allotments.

The areas of South London without tube stations are well worth considering as the train services are very very good. You get more for your money and those places tend to have a more village type feel. Place with tube stations (although there are exceptions) tend to much busier which can work against you if you live there.

Last edited:

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Balham. Pretty safe, nice and friendly, good connections and decent bars etc:thumbsup:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

But not so good if you're trying to get to Brighton (home games)....

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Thanks all for the advice so far.

I'm in my late twenties so want a couple if years in London with the mrs before the inevitable move back down south with kids etc. I work at London bridge so dingo, Brockley sounds perfect. You are not the first person who has mentioned this to me so I was testing the water to see if anyone else brought it up.

The mrs works in Soho so have to take that into account too. I want my £250k to go as far as possible too.....

You can get the overground from London Bridge to Charing Cross and then Soho is about 10 minutes walk. In fact I thnink the trains from Brockley to London Bridge end up there.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Yes, the problem there is the Tube, I'd rather do a two hour commute than travel on the tube.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is that for one-bed flat, two-bed, house?

If it's a one-bed flat, you could live in lots of places; if for anything bigger, your choice is more limited.

I agree with bushy though - if you're going to live as far out as Orpington, you might as well stick to Brighton. And Tooting is a great place - best area that I lived in when I was in London.

Tooting is a long way out though. I lived in Camden which I recommend. A cracking place in its own right with plenty to do, plus it is really close to the centre of London and most other places of interest. I'd feel isolated in south London.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
he wants to live in london, he might as well live in brighton as orpington,why not think of tooting or somewhere on the northern line.

Tooting wouldn't be a bad shout. Your 250k might go a little further too.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
*tongue slightly in cheek*

East Croydon? 20 mins to Victoria, 12 minutes to London Bridge. £250k will get you a 3 bed terraced house with a small garden within 5 or 10 minutes of EC.

With trains running through the night from victoria you feel conencted with central London, I lived near Lebanon road tram stop (about 5 mins from East Croydon) for 4 years, never had any problems. Neighbours were friendly and no scum whatsoever.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I live in Orpington and love it there.

Best of all worlds.

I agree with that, Orpington is not a bad place at all. Central London not far and the countryside isn't either.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
bhaexpress,

Too right.

M25 - 5 minutes by car.
Kent Countryside - 20 minutes walk max.
Gatwick - 35 minutes by car.
and spiritual home and folks (Withdean/Patcham) 1 hour away by car.

Nice!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here