Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

most violence seen at goldstone

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Always used to be scraps with all sorts of teams down Goldstone Lane, Fonthill Road or behind the south stand on the way to the station - then trying to get at them as they were getting over the footbridge at the bottonm of Hove Park Villas!

Palace, QPR, Pompey, Fulham, Charlton and many more - first 'took an interest' 32+ years ago - too many and too long ago to remember 'em all!!!

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
Spurs 78 was without doubt (depending on how you view these things) the best out and out constant bout of football violence I have ever seen. West Ham around the same time was interesting.

The most frightening for me was in the early 70's against Millwall, it was an evening game and this big black fella in a butchers coat was in the middle of the North Stand when he produced what was basically a carving knife. The surrounding crowd quickly scattered, and a copper dived in and disarmed him. That was a brave move on his part.

Birmingham was a good one when they tried to attack the Albion fans by coming in between the West Stand and the old lego stand. A certain well known ex west street top boy stood at the top of the steps knocking them over one by one. His timing was brilliant. Thanks SS, that was a day to remember. Those that eventually got through were met by the rest of us, including a recently banned individual from NSC who found an old mop in the cupboard by the steps and proceeded to wipe a few zulu warriors clean with it!

SS also got his picture along with a few of us on the front page of the Argus after the Sheffield Utd game which was the last of the season. Everyone as you do on the last game went on the pitch, it then turned nasty, but in the main only handbags and standoff's.

There are numerous other memories, from Bournemouth who had a good firm in the early days, and all had to take off their Doc Martins and leave them outside the ground, to various encounters with Millwall which have already been mentioned. Ditto for Palace, Pompey Southampton where I got decked at the top of the steps by Hove Station by a ginger Saints fan.

Have seen a lot over the last 40 years, have some great memories and met a lot of good people who I would not have, had I not followed the Albion :thumbsup:

SS certainly had good timing that day ! remember it so well !

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Spurs 78 was without doubt (depending on how you view these things) the best out and out constant bout of football violence I have ever seen. West Ham around the same time was interesting.

The most frightening for me was in the early 70's against Millwall, it was an evening game and this big black fella in a butchers coat was in the middle of the North Stand when he produced what was basically a carving knife. The surrounding crowd quickly scattered, and a copper dived in and disarmed him. That was a brave move on his part.

:

I thought it was a sawn-off shotgun not a knife .

Agree though , Spurs in '78 was without doubt the most violent match I've ever experienced at The Goldstone .
At the away game at WHL earlier in the season felt I was lucky to make it out of the ground alive .
Whilst the walk down Seven Sisters road to the tube after the match was just pure evil .

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
surely you mean 70s

Yes. First league game of 77/78 - pouring hard - 0-2 half time and 3-2 full time. Great game but these filth from South London were trying to climb from the South West, up into the seats. As I was quite near to the front, it stays in the mind of a boy who was only 14 at the time.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
SS also got his picture along with a few of us on the front page of the Argus after the Sheffield Utd game which was the last of the season. Everyone as you do on the last game went on the pitch, it then turned nasty, but in the main only handbags and standoff's.
QUOTE]

Remember that one well - as everyone went on the pitch to celebrate we charged from the south stand over to the away enclosure, United got on the pitch but as you say largely handbags!

In town that night in Derek Carvers they turned up outside 20-handed or so, bouncers initially locked the door but as Blades smashed the window we persuaded them to open the door. Chased them down to the seafront and when we got to the bottom of the road they turned and charged back!
Everyone had stopped at the top of the road and there was me and BP ten yards behind, suffice to say I lost my front teeth and they literally ripped the shirt off my back and left me in just my shirt-sleeves! I was wandering around town for several hours concussed and saying 'i'm the incredible hulk' !!
I eventually came to in A&E at eight o'clock the next morning - bastards robbed me too!!!

Glory days!!

Oct 2, 2008
Remember the fight on top of the cafe? Bha on top, Spurs trying to get at us.We threw everything from bits of brick & peices of wood to ripped off roofing felt at them & if any did manage to get their heads above gutter level they got a ten hole, ox blood DM straight in the face.

I was on top of the cafe and remember it well. Seem to recall that the police eventually made us climb into the West Stand and out of the ground from there. I thought we would be allowed into the South Stand (where most of the North Standers had been evacuated to) but we werent allowed back in.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
There are only two incidents to compare.....

Spurs '78(?) and Chelsea '83. Wasn't at the Spurs game so for me it has to be Chelsea.
I was at SPurs 78 - that was as bad as I have seen, it wasn't contained to hooligan v hooligan, the Spurs fans were just hitting anyone - I remember an old guy just in front of me getting hot in the face as Spurs fans charged down the road outside the ground. He was just an ordinary near OAP and trying to get out of the way.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I was on top of the cafe and remember it well. Seem to recall that the police eventually made us climb into the West Stand and out of the ground from there. I thought we would be allowed into the South Stand (where most of the North Standers had been evacuated to) but we werent allowed back in.

That was excactly what they told us, I couldn't believe it when they led us into the road & closed the doors behind us. Me & my mate got a train back to lewes then bus from lewes to crowborough.When we got to lewes bus station there was a scrap between a few Spurs & some Albion from uckfield going on.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
i recall pomppey re-arranging the terrace furniture, at an end of season game? spilled onto the pitch, goading the north stand, then pished off when we came after them.
Was that the day when they were in the north east terrace and kicked the advertising hording down? If I remember correctly, it was us goading them from on the pitch then running like girls when they kicked the board down:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not our finest moment:angel:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Was the Birmingham game in question the one where Steve Penney smashed in our second goal in the South Stand end late on?

Also remember the Sheffield United game, with both sets of fans running at each other on the pitch, backwards and forwards. I was high up on the East Terrace and a few SU appeared and there were a few skirmishes on the bottom, but over as soon as it started ???

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Brighton v Sheff Utd

64901238001013296713463.jpg

64901238001113296713463.jpg

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
I only started going to games in 1989 so much of the violence was dying out. However, does anyone remember playing Stoke in 1990? I was only 9 at the time but recall we went one up in the second half and ended up losing 1-4. At the end a large section of the Stoke fans invaded the pitch from the East Terrace and headed straight for the North Stand. I was taken out the ground very quickly by my uncle! Just wondered if it did all really kick off if anyone remembers?!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I only started going to games in 1989 so much of the violence was dying out. However, does anyone remember playing Stoke in 1990? I was only 9 at the time but recall we went one up in the second half and ended up losing 1-4. At the end a large section of the Stoke fans invaded the pitch from the East Terrace and headed straight for the North Stand. I was taken out the ground very quickly by my uncle! Just wondered if it did all really kick off if anyone remembers?!

I believe there was trouble in town that night, which resulted in a mob of Brighton being locked in The Brighton Rock pub for their own safety

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually

lol was in a pub,which the name i cant remember,but was a few doors away from the old club shop in town,and one of the brighton lads came running in saying hundreds of stoke were coming from the seafront,well this guy has been know to tell a tall 1 or 2,(Bearman or something like that) and thinking he was,exaggerating,1 or 2 brighton poked heads out the door to have a look,lol,he was right, there were hundreds,fancy dress also, promotion party if i remember right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here