Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

most violence seen at goldstone

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
We didn't get promoted in 78, but we did in 77 & our first home league game was Millwall on 27th august 1977 which we won 3 -2 . If you look at my profile you'll see it was the game that got me hooked. THe following season we played millwall midweek in the LC at the end of august but I'm pretty sure the scenario you describe was 77. we then played them away on the saturday.

yep...a million apologies. It was the 77-78 season. my f*** up. I was there and remember it well :shootself

simon195

Sep 11, 2007
The very last game at the goldstone...quote me if im wrong, but didnt a female get a bashing by someone in the north stand |??

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
The photos of the Chelsea game remind me why I used to LOVE going to football. I feel sorry for anyone who missed those days and have to put up with the sanitized alternative we have now.

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
Chelsea in 1983 - the one after which Chris Hutchings was arrested:wrong:

p5301802.jpg

p5396566.jpg

bhacfc1to2.jpg

Was there with my dad and brother, I was 14 my bro 12. We was in the north stand and when Brighton scored we didn’t say a word, Couldn’t believe it, My own club and I couldn’t celebrate.

There was Chelsea all around us and they looked really scary, we was more concerned for our dad as we knew if they started on him there was nothing we could do but we just hugged him and said we’ll protect you dad even thou we couldn’t. we was in it together, if they attacked him then they’d have to attack us as well.

At the end, the policeman getting attacked on the pitch, so sad, he’s still in a wheelchair to this day.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
yep...a million apologies. It was the 77-78 season. my f*** up. I was there and remember it well :shootself

Trouble is I'm a real sad f*** when it comes to remembering dates, I can usually recall scores from donkeys years ago but not from last season & have walked past people i know from school without even realising.......senility creeping in?

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
Spurs 78 was without doubt (depending on how you view these things) the best out and out constant bout of football violence I have ever seen. West Ham around the same time was interesting.

The most frightening for me was in the early 70's against Millwall, it was an evening game and this big black fella in a butchers coat was in the middle of the North Stand when he produced what was basically a carving knife. The surrounding crowd quickly scattered, and a copper dived in and disarmed him. That was a brave move on his part.

Birmingham was a good one when they tried to attack the Albion fans by coming in between the West Stand and the old lego stand. A certain well known ex west street top boy stood at the top of the steps knocking them over one by one. His timing was brilliant. Thanks SS, that was a day to remember. Those that eventually got through were met by the rest of us, including a recently banned individual from NSC who found an old mop in the cupboard by the steps and proceeded to wipe a few zulu warriors clean with it!

SS also got his picture along with a few of us on the front page of the Argus after the Sheffield Utd game which was the last of the season. Everyone as you do on the last game went on the pitch, it then turned nasty, but in the main only handbags and standoff's.

There are numerous other memories, from Bournemouth who had a good firm in the early days, and all had to take off their Doc Martins and leave them outside the ground, to various encounters with Millwall which have already been mentioned. Ditto for Palace, Pompey Southampton where I got decked at the top of the steps by Hove Station by a ginger Saints fan.

Have seen a lot over the last 40 years, have some great memories and met a lot of good people who I would not have, had I not followed the Albion :thumbsup:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
That Millwall game had F-Troop, Treatment and The Half Way line mob in full action. We were 2-0 down and came back to win 3-2. There was serious bother in the North but also some very tasty inciidents in the West with the aforementioned half way line mob. As I remember it a dog handler let his big Alsatian off its leash and sent it into the crowd to stop a particularly nasty scrap and some huge Millwall bloke wearing a sort of sheepskin/afghan coat grabbed the dog and threw it out of the stand and back onto the pitch, at which point reinforcements were called.

The Spurs weekend was also completely barking - and as others have said there were fights on the beach Friday night, the Buccaneer (now Audio) was turned over and by Saturday night I think every copper in Sussex had been mobilised.

Exciting and frightening in equal measure.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Definately spurs in the 70's. Behind the North West terrace it was like a scene from the
Wild West.

Who needs F troop when we had the Bosun!

Remember the fight on top of the cafe? Bha on top, Spurs trying to get at us.We threw everything from bits of brick & peices of wood to ripped off roofing felt at them & if any did manage to get their heads above gutter level they got a ten hole, ox blood DM straight in the face.

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
The very last game at the goldstone...quote me if im wrong, but didnt a female get a bashing by someone in the north stand |??

Sort of,it was meant to be the last game Home to york,but BHAFC was allowed to rent the ground for another season,i was up in court also for that game,and that twat was stood next to me,i think he punched a woman for telling him to grow up,i think he got few months for it,and so he should.

simon195

Sep 11, 2007
Sort of,it was meant to be the last game Home to york,but BHAFC was allowed to rent the ground for another season,i was up in court also for that game,and that twat was stood next to me,i think he punched a woman for telling him to grow up,i think he got few months for it,and so he should.

yeah i was on pitch and saw loads commotion going on in north stand, men who hit women are just bottom of the barrell cowards if you ask me !!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Remember the fight on top of the cafe? Bha on top, Spurs trying to get at us.We threw everything from bits of brick & peices of wood to ripped off roofing felt at them & if any did manage to get their heads above gutter level they got a ten hole, ox blood DM straight in the face.

The strips of roofing felt with bits of render stuck to them made pretty good weapons if I remember correct. I remember a Brighton fan the size of Giant Haystack coming to my rescue and throwing a Yid straight into the windscreen of the Securicor van which used to park behind the terrace in the North West. I had my brand new brown leather box jacket ripped at the pocket that day after yet another dust up.
A friend of mine from Worthing who now professes to support the Wall (and a penny short of a shilling) called Steve G must have been beaten up 6 of 7 times whilst trying to defend the North. I remember him being belted over the head with a broom handle when it was at its worst. How the hell did anyone get that in the ground I dont know.
Nothing will ever come even remotely close to the violence inside the ground that day. If you were youngish at the time you didn`t have any choice on whether you got involved because you could not just walk to the side to get away from it because the Yids just followed you there and started on everyone. Mind you a few of them got it back in the end.

It went to a different level that day. Not lads just scrapping in roughly even numbers but bullies picking on youngsters and just about everyone else.

The top of the cafe battle was un- f***ing- believable. Lads really were fighting with anything they could to defend themselves.
It was like Custer`s last stand but this time Custer made it through.

.......Well I am sure it all seemed very jolly at the time.

My memory is of an away game, mid week, v Wimbledon at Plough Lane 85/86 p'raps, lost 1-0 to an Alan Cork goal?

Walking back to the car after the match with some friends (one of whom, a short female, was attending her first game) the "mass" of Albion fans were followed by what appeared to be some inarticulate dwarfs hurling abuse and politely enquiring whether any of us wished to stand and fight (we didn't, just wanted to get back home to the pub before closing time). I believe that these were some Chelsea "yoof" who welcomed the opportunity to practice their social skills midweek at a different ground, I guess it gave them a break from "O" level revision.

They were gradually starting to lose interest when a couple of large policeman came striding purposefully toward the crowd of fans, the Brighton fans respectfully parting to let them through. They strode on toward the smallest, scummiest and loudest of the Chelsea lads, who, betraying a spectacular lack of judgement on his part, continued to hurl abuse and incitements. Without breaking stride they took an armpit each and lifted him off the ground, his legs continued to move in a "Wil E. Coyote chasing Roadrunner and going over a cliff" style.

Loudly and clearly one of the boys in blue uttered the words (which until then I believed only existed in myth or Sweeney episodes) "You're f***ing nicked son".

A magical experience.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
The strips of roofing felt with bits of render stuck to them made pretty good weapons if I remember correct. I remember a Brighton fan the size of Giant Haystack coming to my rescue and throwing a Yid straight into the windscreen of the Securicor van which used to park behind the terrace in the North West. I had my brand new brown leather box jacket ripped at the pocket that day after yet another dust up.
A friend of mine from Worthing who now professes to support the Wall (and a penny short of a shilling) called Steve G must have been beaten up 6 of 7 times whilst trying to defend the North. I remember him being belted over the head with a broom handle when it was at its worst. How the hell did anyone get that in the ground I dont know.
Nothing will ever come even remotely close to the violence inside the ground that day. If you were youngish at the time you didn`t have any choice on whether you got involved because you could not just walk to the side to get away from it because the Yids just followed you there and started on everyone. Mind you a few of them got it back in the end.

It went to a different level that day. Not lads just scrapping in roughly even numbers but bullies picking on youngsters and just about everyone else.

The top of the cafe battle was un- f***ing- believable. Lads really were fighting with anything they could to defend themselves.
It was like Custer`s last stand but this time Custer made it through.

I think Steve g turned the day that millwall produced a sawn off on hove station . i'd turn too!

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I remember Spurs in 77/78 being in the South when someone spotted some Spurs and it all kicked off around us. I grabbed my mate by his collar to stop him from falling into a mess of a fight in front of us. There was this big bearded Spurs bloke splattered with blood but giving as good as he gave.

I remember my mate getting a kicking when he walked through Hove Park after while some coppers just watched.

When me Dad used to take me in the Chicken Run in the early 70's we always used to be next to away fans. I remember the silver sprayed DMs with no laces.

I seem to remember a shotgun going off in the North once too.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
The worst actual violence full on fighting at the goldstone i ever saw caught up in was a night game v huddersfield the game (a cup game from memory) had finished and huddersfield had brought down a fair few,did not see any trouble before the game and there was no hint of trouble before the game,a large group of brighton marched toward hove station a larger group of huddersfield lads came down the road that ran behind the east stand, they started to run at the group of brighton and many of the brighton bolted,the few that remained were starting to take a fair old pasting i had dived headfirst into a hedge and wasnt coming out for no amount of money, Until that was i saw 1 lad getting pummeled by a group of huddersfield , i thought to myself bolox to it thats not right,just as i was about to sacrifice my boyish good looks, a huge mob of brighton came steaming in from the south stand area of the road ,the huddersfield bolted back up the road and must have turned right into the next road,big mistake they were hemmed in from both ends and it became a bloodbath,by the time i got there the 2 seperate mobs of brighton fans had them penned in and by the time the police got there it was far to late,that street looked like a bomb had gone off afterward there were bodies strewn across the pavements and road many bleeding from being hit with bricks,seen lots of scuffles since home and away but nothing quite like that night.

BHA ambushed Huddersfield in Fonthill Road just up from the junction with Newtown Road - early eighties!!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Newtown Road was a battle field after the Southampton game, remember seeing a few lads with Millwall badges on. Im belive Southampton knocked Millwall out in the previous round and a few were down looking for some sort of revenge.

I think we played Millwall not long after that and the windows of the Post Officce in Newtown Rd got put through by Millwall

It was before hand too. I remember this game's off the field antics like it was y'day because of it. A clear JFK moment in my life, never seen anything like it since or before so I'm with Wookie on this one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here