Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most skillfull player ever to wear the stripes

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I would have to say Steve Penny as he was the first person I ever saw live take on and beat players and being just a kid at the time I found it exciting...He would sometimes go round 2 or 3 players on a single run and it was great. Shame he could never play more than 3 games in a row without injuring his ankles.

The only other player who comes close to Penny is Sergei Gotsmanov who was so skillfull he was always 2 steps ahead of everyone else and not just at the Albion but the entire league!

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004
Peter Ward & Mark Lawrenson by a country mile. No one else come close

I'd agree with both names, but another player who would come fairly close was Kit Napier. I remember him scoring at the South end at the Goldstone, having started a run near the half way line. The photo on the Argus showed 3 or 4 defenders sitting on their backsides in the area having all failed to get near him.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Worth a mention for Darren Currie. exceptional skill, technique and control. Sadly realised just how good he was when he was surrounded by a better calibre players at Ipswich.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Black Dave

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
George Best is a dead Irishman

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Frank Worthington
Mark Lawrenson
Sergei Gotsmanov

but not necessarily in that order.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Peter Ward.

I'd seen players who could take the ball with their back to goal, and a defender on them, who could suddenly be goalside with the ball at their feet so fast you couln't see how they'd done it. The first time I saw it (or actually didn't see it) live was Peter Osgood at the Goldstone in a cup match.

Peter Ward was the only Albion player I ever saw who had the same uncanny skill.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Hard to argue with Gotsmanov on this.

He was so skillful that he was on a different wavelength to the rest of the team - he sometimes looked disappointed that they couldn't see the opportunities he could see, when he played the ball in to space for a teammate to run onto, only to watch them stand around gawping.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Has to be Johnny Byrne for me, Could instantly control a ball coming to him

at any height or speed, his hold up play was brilliant & if he was in possesion

near the opposing goal, if he didn't score, you could more or less guarantee

he would win a corner. (why can't our strikers do that?)

Who's yours?

Dead right. Nobody even comes close to John Byrne. Brighton Legend. :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here