Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most Memorable Goal You've Ever WITNESSED

I would say the Deano screamer against Ipswich that got us into the play-offs in '91. Last minute of extra time, you could cut the atmosphere with a knife in the North Stand, everyone held their breath as he stepped up to take the free-kick, this was our last chance of the game, the season... top f***ing corner!!
Couldn't talk the next day I screamed so much.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
So I'll have to say Gary Stephens Wembley Cup Final 1983 (first time) - it doesn't get much better than that

I shouted so much that I pretty much lost my voice for the rest of the match

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
George Best, Man Utd v Chelsea (or was it Spurs) in 1968 or was it 1969 ... took the ball from just inside his own half and beat almost the entire team, running circles round defenders before dummying the keeper and slipping the ball home (pure genius)

Sorry I am so vague about the date and opposition but the goal has stayed in my memory ever since (I was only about 12 at the time)

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I suppose that Wilkins' free kick against Ipswich was one of the most memorable. It was five to five (and in those days that was LAAATE) and Barnsley were already celebrating being in the playoffs until Deano stepped up....

And Virgo of course against Swindon.

For some reason one that sticks in my mind is Byrne's scuffed shot from about 18 yards out that Miklosko managed to let squirm under his body. 1-0 against West Ham - sounds familiar.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Eddie the Seagull said:
I was right behind the goal, right in the line of the balls flight.
Me too! Was on my brother's shoulders, cos I was too much of a midget to see amid all that madness! Marvellous scenes, yellow craziness everywhere!!

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Most of all, Adam Virgo's last minute goal against Swindon

Storer's last goal at the Goldstone.
Craig Maskell curler that hit the post and Robbie Reinhelt hitting the equaliser at Hereford

First time Peter Ward touched the ball after a few seconds at Hereford
Willie Irvine's against Villa, Division 3, 1971
Peter Ward solo against Mansfield , Division 3 promotion season, late seventies
Kit Napier's delayed play tap in against Chesterfield, Division 3, 1971
Kit Napier's header in the last minute against Rochdale at Spotland, Division 3, 1971

A strange one to remember:

Bobby Z header at the Withdean when Lee Steele ran along the left wing and his outswinging perfect cross met the onrushing Bobby Z for a perfect header. I think this one was in the League Cup against Wimbledon.

From the opponents:

Ray Wilkins for Manchester United in the Cup Final, 1983
Ray Train for Rochdale against the Albion, Division 3, 1971
Dixie McNeils handball goal for Hereford in Peter Ward's debut match

Maradonna's hand of God goal and his other one.
Geoff Hurst's final goal in 1966.

Pele's dummy and the Jairhinzo goal in the Mexico World Cup.

Lots of others. These were the first that came to mind. On another day, other goals would come first.

Last edited:

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Titanic said:
Jimmy Case - semi final FA Cup 1983 Highbury is definitely one of them :clap2:

God I remember that goal like it was yesterday. Standing behind the goal on a beautiful spring day under the old clock...

It was a cracking free kick and a great day :)

I'll always remember when Gary Stevens equalised in the Cup Final and the euphoric scenes around me when the goal went in.

I was a wee 16 year old then !!!!!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Another one:

Denis Law's back heel for Manchester City that sent Manchester United down. Did not see it live though. I don't suppose it counts if you do not see it for real.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Ding Dong ! said:
God I remember that goal like it was yesterday. Standing behind the goal on a beautiful spring day under the old clock...

It was a cracking free kick and a great day :)
Was a gorgeous, sunny day, yep. And the crowd, wasn't it 54,000 or something? Imagine that at Highbury now :lolol:

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Virgs goal against Swindon, and a bit bizarrely, Jones' goal against Forest when we lost 3-2. I normally forget any game I've been to, including who we played, about 20 minutes after I leave the ground, but that night at Forest was such a laugh, we sang so hard, were so outplayed, and Jones scored such a belter that it will stick in my mind for a while hopefully.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Ian Chapman at the goldstone against bournemouth.

Rust had let in a soft goal (surpirse, surprise) to give bournemouth a 3-1 win.
Then with 9 minutes to go, chappers scored a freekick into the top left hand corner in front of the north. crazy jumping about insued and we went onto draw 3-3 with a header late on (possibly by chapman again).
Felt like we had won that day.

That has to be one of my most memorable, personally, along with the obvious ones (storer, virgo etc.), although, for some reason Maskell's first goal for the club (curled, caressed even, into top left corner, in front of south stand) sticks in my mind also.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Not including Storer v Doncaster

Dean Wilkins last-minute free kick against Ipswich to put us in the play-offs
or Zamora's volley against Halifax when the ball came down from miles and he smashed it into the far-post

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
eastlondonseagull said:
Was a gorgeous, sunny day, yep. And the crowd, wasn't it 54,000 or something? Imagine that at Highbury now :lolol:

Yeh a 54,000 crowd. What wasd funny was the Man Utd V Arsenal attendance...if I remember rightly was about 43,000.

:clap2:

Lush

Mods' Pet
Deano's Right Foot said:
I suppose that Wilkins' free kick against Ipswich was one of the most memorable. It was five to five (and in those days that was LAAATE) and Barnsley were already celebrating being in the playoffs until Deano stepped up....

And Virgo of course against Swindon.

Same as.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
keaton said:
.......... Zamora's volley against Halifax when the ball came down from miles and he smashed it into the far-post

It didn't go in then???

Call me Mr Picky, or did you mean far corner.

:p

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Leons pen at cardiff and Virgos header in the second leg.. couldnt belive it

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Steve Melton v Reading (H) 3 years ago - my dad flew over from France for the game, it pissed down all day and there was a chance it would be called off. Pardew had been chatting his usual in the run-up to the game then Bobby and Melton just took the mickey out of them. Amazing scenes

Rooney's first v Croatia at Estadio da Luz in the summer. Jumped up and down so much we broke the screen on my mate's digital camera.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here