Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most disappointing albums you bought (or didn't buy)

Every Radiohead album since OK Computer.

right that's it, Me and you, outside now!

they have got better, one album after another, Dollars & Cents,Punch Up At A Wedding, There There, Hail to the Thief, Sail To The Moon, Optimism, Morning Bell, Knives Out, I might Be Wrong, The National Anthem and not forgetting the greatest song ever written, Weird Fishes

I'm speechless (well actually i'm not. but you know what I mean)

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
First three tracks are Safe European Home, English Civil War, then Tommy Gun, surely?

I sit corrected - still 3 blistering tracks to kick of an album with, though!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The self-indulgent musical-noodlings and hippy-mystical lyrics :yawn: that was Tales from Topographic Oceans was probably one of the main reasons for the rise of Punk !!! For that reason, and that reason only, it was worth it punk:

Jimmy Page doing a 28 minute guitar solo and John Bonham doing similar for 15 minutes is another.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Whatever the first Coldplay album was called - once listen of that turgid shite was enough to put me off ever listening to their boring blandness again.

Guns N Roses - Chinese Democracy - had VERY low expectations, and yet it still failed to live up to them.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Jimmy Page doing a 28 minute guitar solo and John Bonham doing similar for 15 minutes is another.

Oh yes, the live version of 'Dazed and Confused' (the violin bow bit was good though!) and 'Moby Dick'. ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Oh yes, the live version of 'Dazed and Confused' (the violin bow bit was good though!) and 'Moby Dick'. ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I never bought the soundtrack album, so technically it doesn't count for this thread, but I do have fond memories of going to see The Song Remains the Same as a teenager at the Classic cinema in Tunbridge Wells. The manager was clearly a Led Zep fan and had all the amps turned up to 11 - when they start ripping into 'Rock 'n' Roll' at the start of the concert I was literally blown away and my ears were ringing for a week. Bliss.

But then, based on the warm fuzzy glow of that memory, more than three decades later I had an irrational urge to relive the vibe and made the mistake of buying the DVD. Really shouldn't have bothered. All the surrounding guff is such pretentious twaddle - the sort of rubbish you buy into when you're 14 I guess. And bar a few redeeming songs (the aformentioned Rock 'n' Roll is one), even the concert material is overblown and tedious.

And yes, that drum solo in Moby Dick is and always was not so much a 'make a cup of tea' moment as a 'pop to the pub for three pints and Bonham will still be bashing away when you get back' moment. At least skipping that sort of tosh is precisely why DVD remotes were invented.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Good ol' Roger Dean; his art-work appeared on some appalling albums in the 1970s; in fact, it it had a Roger Dean album cover, you learned not to buy it :lolol:

Oh Dear. I loved Tales of Topographic Oceans, still do and I used to go to Beals and listen in the booths. There was a record shop in Brighton Square where you could listen in booths too, forget the name.
Now if we are talking disappointment how about Bowies Diamond Dogs, rubbish! and I was recommended John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra. Too deep for me

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Oh, I just remembered Billy Corgan's solo album after the Pumpkins disbanded in 2000. Was really looking forward to it, and it was an absolute crock of shit.

Was it called The Future Embrace? The Pirate Bay currently proudly display a letter from him to them on their legal threats page where he apparently threw a hissy fit because people were downloading it, realising it was shit, telling everyone it was shit and then subsequently not buying it.

That's why I love file sharing, it forces established bands to stop churning out shit. When it comes to music my attitude is very much "I'll listen to it first if you don't mind and then decide if it's worth paying for."

Last edited:

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Blondie, The Hunter.

R-591465-1140805594.jpeg

There is nothing positive I can say about this album, it was terrible. They even managed to make Debbie look shit on the sleeve, that should have been enough of a warning really. I loved Blondie's first 4 studio albums and the "Best of" that came after showed just how amazingly diverse they were.

Then they released this.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm with you.

No album in 5 years so was hoping for something good. Weakest album by far.

They've gone turdy since By The Way. Think they've got lost in they're own pretentiousness

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
The name of the band on the cover should have been a warning to you there...

There's only ever been one word for Yes, and that's No!

They were EXCELLENT at the Dome last November. Well, the 48th version ofthe band

Alythough tales from Topgraphic oceans is lonmg winded self indulgent tripe

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I'll listen to it first if you don't mind and then decide if it's worth paying for.

It's not even worth listening to, let alone paying for. It really is that bad. I saw him in London when he toured with the album in 2005 (I think), hoping he would play a few SP numbers. He refused, despite the audience screaming requests at him. His performance was actually overshadowed by the lightshow they had at the back of the stage, it was that poor. Spent the majority of the gig at the bar, weeping mourningly into a pint.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Well going back to GTER by the Clash, I have just listened again to the record (the only way to listen to music IMO)

Safe european home is OK
Stay free, is good (but not punk, dont forget I was 14 and wanted...123 GO type stuff!!)punk:
Last gang in town is really poor. And I still think, as a album it was disapointing.

But enough of that. Room on fire, by the Strokes, was a bit weak.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here