Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most disappointing albums you bought (or didn't buy)

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I was 3/4 at the time, so don't know if this counts, but the latter two Pixies albums were disappointing, by their standards anyway.

Good shout (although I think Trompe le Monde has a few great moments). Can't stand Bossanova though & really wish I hadn't bought it tbh. Hey ho. :shrug:

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Thanks for going to the trouble of the youtubery biz, James. Sadly, I'd rather eat my own footwear than to witness that load of ol' toilet again. What WERE they thinking? :nono:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
The name of the band on the cover should have been a warning to you there...

There's only ever been one word for Yes, and that's No!

The self-indulgent musical-noodlings and hippy-mystical lyrics :yawn: that was Tales from Topographic Oceans was probably one of the main reasons for the rise of Punk !!! For that reason, and that reason only, it was worth it punk:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
These two, seduced by the cover artwork, musically IMHO, they were both crap.

35593813.jpg

cover.jpg

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Good shout (although I think Trompe le Monde has a few great moments). Can't stand Bossanova though & really wish I hadn't bought it tbh. Hey ho. :shrug:

Agree. Trompe Le Monde was good in parts ('Alex Eiffel', 'Head On'), but not in the same ball-park as Surfer Rosa or Doolittle.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
These two, seduced by the cover artwork, musically IMHO, they were both crap.

35593813.jpg

cover.jpg

Good ol' Roger Dean; his art-work appeared on some appalling albums in the 1970s; in fact, it it had a Roger Dean album cover, you learned not to buy it :lolol:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Good ol' Roger Dean; his art-work appeared on some appalling albums in the 1970s; in fact, it it had a Roger Dean album cover, you learned not to buy it :lolol:

So I'll wipe my snot on the arm of your chair
As you put another Roger Dean poster on the wall.

[yt]ZCvs2w_Mjeg[/yt]

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Dreamtime and Ten - the last two Stranglers albums before Hugh Cornwell wisely jumped ship; he realised they had totally run out of ideas and inspiration. :shit:

Listen to these two piles of aural excrement, and you would not believe this was the same band which had produced classic singles like 'No More Heroes', 'Nice and Sleazy' or 'Duchess', or albums like Rattus Norvegicus or The Raven.

Although the last two albums were verygood. The Norfolk coast and then suite 16, in fact the latter album is their best since The Raven, IMHO. I would actully say that suite 16 could have sat inbetween No more heros and the Raven, back in the day.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Give us enough rope, The Clash very disapointing.

And after the classic that was, Dirk wears white socks, the nightmare of, Kings of the wild frontier. By Adam and the Ants. Although KOTWF was OK it was a masive change in direction. ( a bad direction )

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Interesting. Considering what a tough act it had to follow, I think it stands up really well.

I just thought it was over produced and lacked the raw spirt of punk....in saying that I was into the UK subs by then, so it would have been!

Over the years I have got to like a few tracks on it but as they say "first impretions" and all that.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Terrance Trent D'arby - Neither Fish Nor Flesh.

After a superb first album, I was full of expectation, and played it over and over again, to see if I'd just missed something, or whether it would grow on me. Nope it was just GASH.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
So I'll wipe my snot on the arm of your chair
As you put another Roger Dean poster on the wall.

[yt]ZCvs2w_Mjeg[/yt]

Nigel Blackwell - Britain's most under-rated lyricist:

Did you play in the Garden of Eden
Were the goal keeper’s gloves to you tossed?
Coz it seems to me you’re the reason;
You’re the reason why paradise lost.

Well we’ve all seen you personalised reg plates
And it’s not the worst crime I agree
But we both know full well that it really should spell
“T” “W” “A” “T”, “O” “N” “E” :lolol:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I just thought it was over produced and lacked the raw spirt of punk....in saying that I was into the UK subs by then, so it would have been!

Over the years I have got to like a few tracks on it but as they say "first impretions" and all that.

The over-production owing much to the fact that the producer was Sandy Pearlman; better known at the time for producing Blue Oyster Cult.

That said, I thought the first three tracks on 'Rope' were (still are) brilliant -Safe European Home, Drug-Stabbin' Time and English Civil War.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
That said, I thought the first three tracks on 'Rope' were (still are) brilliant -Safe European Home, Drug-Stabbin' Time and English Civil War.

First three tracks are Safe European Home, English Civil War, then Tommy Gun, surely?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here