Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most disappointing albums you bought (or didn't buy)

What album disappointed you, following a previous gem that had your hopes raised to the roof?

One I bought and promptly returned, was Led Zeppelin 'Presence'.

One I managed to hear first, so I knew it was shite, was Jethro Tull 'Thick As A Brick'

I did get Yes 'Tales of Topographic Oceans', which was well played instrumentally, but just wasted on long, laborious, rubbish compositions.

Selling England By The Pound was one I probably could have got along with, but after a few listens to friends raving about it I realised I only liked Foxtrot.

Magazine's 'Correct Use Of Soap' was disappointing, as Devoto was getting more indulgent as a 'leader' and not as a singer for a band.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Bit disappointed with Elbows last release. Some great stuff on there, but I wish they'd 'attack' a chorus a bit more sometimes. They do passionate brooding very well, but you just can't record a song like Grounds For Divorce and then hold back on a bone crunching riff on your next album. We know what you're capable of, lads.

Most disappointing though would have to be every album since Editors debut record. That was stellar, and they've gone downhill since.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Red Hot Chili Peppers - I'm with you.

No album in 5 years so was hoping for something good. Weakest album by far.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Oh, I just remembered Billy Corgan's solo album after the Pumpkins disbanded in 2000. Was really looking forward to it, and it was an absolute crock of shit.

The same could be said for the last 'Smashing Pumpkins' album, which was even shitter.

Jul 20, 2003
"Never Let Me Down" Bowie. So bad it was even disappointing following "Tonight" (which was awful) which in turn followed the patchy "Let's Dance" which was preceded by the excellent Scary Monsters.

Never Let Me Down was so bad that Tin Machine was an improvement

Last edited:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
What album disappointed you, following a previous gem that had your hopes raised to the roof?

One I bought and promptly returned, was Led Zeppelin 'Presence'.

One I managed to hear first, so I knew it was shite, was Jethro Tull 'Thick As A Brick'

I did get Yes 'Tales of Topographic Oceans', which was well played instrumentally, but just wasted on long, laborious, rubbish compositions.

Selling England By The Pound was one I probably could have got along with, but after a few listens to friends raving about it I realised I only liked Foxtrot.

Magazine's 'Correct Use Of Soap' was disappointing, as Devoto was getting more indulgent as a 'leader' and not as a singer for a band.

I bet you used to go to Beals in East Street and listen in one of the booths:lolol:

I listened to "Atom Heart Mother" side one, there, and wondered what on earth was going on. Still bought it though.

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Dissapointment by Censors

Attachments

• 784917374-1.jpg
    784917374-1.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 37

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
Anything by Gomez since Liquid Skin.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Following a NSC recommendation I am sad to report that Ersatz GB 'The Fall' was a big disappointment.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Dreamtime and Ten - the last two Stranglers albums before Hugh Cornwell wisely jumped ship; he realised they had totally run out of ideas and inspiration. :shit:

Listen to these two piles of aural excrement, and you would not believe this was the same band which had produced classic singles like 'No More Heroes', 'Nice and Sleazy' or 'Duchess', or albums like Rattus Norvegicus or The Raven.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Burial's debut was supposed to be the new Endtroducing but was boring and shite.

Lots of people and press keep on saying Exile On Main Street was the best Rolling Stones album, listened to it once entirely unremarkable, never listened again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here