Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Morrisons Brentford Parking Fine

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
I got a ticket last March for parking for too long in Morrisons in Sutton. I've ignored it - I've had a couple of letters including one from their solicitor but I'm not paying and nothing has happened thus far.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Based on the evidence. Surely worth just ignoring the first letter, as the second will only be a chase (no increase), you could just claim you never received the first.

Then ignore the second, third, fourth.......
The only correspondence you do anything about is a genuine court summons.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
How would you feel if you drove up to do your weekly shop, only to find the car park was full of free-loading football fans? There are two ways of looking at these things.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
How would you feel if you drove up to do your weekly shop, only to find the car park was full of free-loading football fans? There are two ways of looking at these things.

If I lived near a football ground, I would not go shopping on matchdays.

And when I lived in Croydon, I was a minute away from Selhurst. Roads get clogged too. Living near a football ground reflects on house prices. Except yours as you have no fans;)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My worry is if I ignore it they will then increase the fine and then increase it again and then perhaps go for a CCJ without my knowledge.

a real concern. i dont think they can issue a CCJ without your knowledge though.

They won't because they can't, its not a fine, its an invoice.

Judge quashes £300 parking fine...because it set out to ‘frighten and intimidate’ driver

so an invoice is still payable if legitimate, contest it in court if you wish, but it might not be worth the hassle of a day off and a trip to Brentford. The example you cite is a mile away from this, baliffs sending letters and demanding £300 is very different to £75. they might be trying it on to see if you cough up then drop it. but they might issue a small claims too and as long as they remain reasonable ( in the courts view ) you will probably lose. the advise from moneyexpert whatever is dodgy as it cant hope to cover all scenarios.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If I lived near a football ground, I would not go shopping on matchdays.

And when I lived in Croydon, I was a minute away from Selhurst. Roads get clogged too. Living near a football ground reflects on house prices. Except yours as you have no fans;)

Our ground wont have any houses nearby, its in a nice rural area.:falmer:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I got a ticket last March for parking for too long in Morrisons in Sutton. I've ignored it - I've had a couple of letters including one from their solicitor but I'm not paying and nothing has happened thus far.

Which company was handling it?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
It doesn't matter, they are all unenforceable in a court of law, whatever bollocks they tell you.

i think you are really missing a point here: thats for the court to decide, based on each individual situation.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I am edging towards paying the fine but writing a letter stating that I do not accept this as settlement but only a way of ensuring that the amount does not increase and then I will take it further.

I wonder if my best bet is to write to Morrisons pointing out that as someone who has spent literally ten's of thousands of pounds in their stores over my lifetime this is not the way that I expect to be treated.

Read through the link to MoneysavingExpert. they may even have a Forum where you can seek support and confirmation of this issue.

CCJ do not just appear, there are procedures that have to be met.

I read that if you respond then there is some acceptance of the illegal parking so ignoring it was the best way forward.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
i think you are really missing a point here: thats for the court to decide, based on each individual situation.

A little bit of reading on MoneySavingExpert.Com will clarify whether Morrison's do have a legal right to demand these monies.

If an issuer has no legal right to demand a 'fine' then just ignore it as advised, they would be aware of this and therefore will not pursue you through the court system.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
A little bit of reading on MoneySavingExpert.Com will clarify whether Morrison's do have a legal right to demand these monies.

If an issuer has no legal right to demand a 'fine' then just ignore it as advised, they would be aware of this and therefore will not pursue you through the court system.

Thanks.

I think I have posted enough links from various sources to back me up.
The only course of action is to ignore this, and any other letter. It will not go to court.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

the forums clarify f*** all, just those who "believe" they are unenforcable (with no case history or law to back this claim up) and those that think they are. there is no way you can tell 100% without actually going to the site and seeing how the notice is presented, im sure some are scamming but some might be completly legitimate.

that fact one of the anti-payment post suggests the only cases they win are when the car park companies go to court and the defendant doesnt turn up, indicates that they do sometimes take it to court.

the advice "ignore it and it will go away" seems to be the best advice, but it should be taken in the knowledge that it might end up costing you more. look forward to supermarkets going back to charging if this does get widespread attention, because it is their private land after all.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
I'm going to join the don't pay lobby. Whilst I am no expert, I got flashed by a gatso speed camera last year (stupidly twice by the same camera within 1 hour) and found a speeding fine has to be delivered within 2 weeks of the offence.
Clearly this parking invoice is well outside of that and you should not be expected to remember where your car was 6 weeks ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here