Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Morrisons Brentford Parking Fine

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I don't think it is wise to ignore the letter. You should reply stating that you don't believe the fee, it is not a fine, is legally enforcable and you will not be paying. At the end of the letter state that your decision is final and no further correspondence will be entered into.

Make it short and to the point. You haven't ignored the letter so you shouldn't get any nasty surprises in the post. I would suggest something akin to this:

To Whom It May Concern,

I am in receipt of your request for the sum of £75.00 dated xxxxxx . However, I do not believe you have incurred losses or that this invoice is enforcable.

As such I will not be forwarding this sum to you.

My decision is final and no further correspondence will be entered into.

Thank you for your time,

Yours Sincerely,

That should show them that you are not worth chasing up.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
I'm sorry, I'm probably not going to be very popular here, but surely those that don't pay these fines are just complete chancers?

Giraffe, I accept that you may have a genuine greivance, however the vast vast majority of supermarket car parks have signs up stating that there is a maximum amount of time you can park there, and that you must be a customer to use the car park. It's pretty standard. If you genuinely did not see the sign, and were not aware of the restriction, then you've been unlucky.

I can see that these may not (according to moneysavingexpert) be legally enforcable, but I don't really have a problem with abiding by a set of rules if I choose to park on someone else's private land. If the maximum parking time is 2 hours, and I'm aware that it's 2 hours, and I get done for staying longer than that, then as far as I'm concerned I'm fair game to get a penalty charge. I don't really understand the mentality of those that think otherwise. Why should a company operate a (free) car park for you to use and not impose its own regulations?

Whist thats very moral of you, thease companies have no morals of their own, and in fact are bullying scum. f*** 'em.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
I don't think it is wise to ignore the letter. You should reply stating that you don't believe the fee, it is not a fine, is legally enforcable and you will not be paying. At the end of the letter state that your decision is final and no further correspondence will be entered into.

Make it short and to the point. You haven't ignored the letter so you shouldn't get any nasty surprises in the post. I would suggest something akin to this:

To Whom It May Concern,

I am in receipt of your request for the sum of £75.00 dated xxxxxx . However, I do not believe you have incurred losses or that this invoice is enforcable.

As such I will not be forwarding this sum to you.

My decision is final and no further correspondence will be entered into.

Thank you for your time,

Yours Sincerely,

That should show them that you are not worth chasing up.

This is the wrong thing to do, as soon as you contact them, they trail you for longer.The advice is to totally ignore it.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This is the wrong thing to do, as soon as you contact them, they trail you for longer.The advice is to totally ignore it.

I can see that point but I was thinking if it did go further at least in your defence you could say that you had not totally ignored the letter. Maybe you're right though, would just play on my mind if I was to ignore it completely if you know what I mean?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
had the same in canterbury at uni, went for a chinese, you can park there for 2 hours, i thought i did, the letter came through you were here xxx until xxx with photos of my car. I was there for 2 hours and 1 minute. FML

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Whilst it's good of 'little al' to give this advice I wonder if he will publically state that if Giraffe follows his links and advice and subsequently gets 'shafted' that he will personally pay up on Giraffe's accrued 'debt'?

Of course it should work both ways, if Giraffe gets off with his 'fine' then he owes 'little al' a decent drink. :)

Game on?

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Even on these links though there are some people saying you should pay. I understand what you are saying but really don't want to suddenly be left with a £300 bill and a potential credit problem.

They are trolls who work for the companies. Ignore them.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Whilst it's good of 'little al' to give this advice I wonder if he will publically state that if Giraffe follows his links and advice and subsequently gets 'shafted' that he will personally pay up on Giraffe's accrued 'debt'?

Of course it should work both ways, if Giraffe gets off with his 'fine' then he owes 'little al' a decent drink. :)

Game on?

I undertake this challge and herby promise to reimburse Giraffe, if it ever turns into a court fine.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Well at least you didnt get clamped like they do at the retail park here. The clampers sit and wait for the unsuspecting motorist who fancies a breakfast in the cafe on the beach 50 yards away after they have done their shopping and ticket and clamp them. You are not allowed to leave the retail park area for one second without breaking the parking regulations.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I am edging towards paying the fine but writing a letter stating that I do not accept this as settlement but only a way of ensuring that the amount does not increase and then I will take it further.

I wonder if my best bet is to write to Morrisons pointing out that as someone who has spent literally ten's of thousands of pounds in their stores over my lifetime this is not the way that I expect to be treated.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Well at least you didnt get clamped like they do at the retail park here. The clampers sit and wait for the unsuspecting motorist who fancies a breakfast in the cafe on the beach 50 yards away after they have done their shopping and ticket and clamp them. You are not allowed to leave the retail park area for one second without breaking the parking regulations.

Thankfully, clamping is illegal in Scotland.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
I am edging towards paying the fine but writing a letter stating that I do not accept this as settlement but only a way of ensuring that the amount does not increase and then I will take it further.

I wonder if my best bet is to write to Morrisons pointing out that as someone who has spent literally ten's of thousands of pounds in their stores over my lifetime this is not the way that I expect to be treated.

Write to Morrissons by all means, but ignore the invoice. Do not enter into any correspondence with the company at all. If a court of law order you to pay, as stated above, I promise to reimburse you in full. These companies are scum.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Whist thats very moral of you, thease companies have no morals of their own, and in fact are bullying scum. f*** 'em.

Why are they “bullying scum”

They own a piece of land that they have paid for that is provided so that customers are able to park and subsequently gain business from it. Now this has a cost to it.
Why do you feel they should provide this for free ?

Would you be happy to let strangers park on your driveway for free ?

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Why are they “bullying scum”

They own a piece of land that they have paid for that is provided so that customers are able to park and subsequently gain business from it. Now this has a cost to it.
Why do you feel they should provide this for free ?

Would you be happy to let strangers park on your driveway for free ?

Its the bullying tactics of the companies employed to chase the invoice. If the supermarket really wanted to charge, they could have a barrier, which you have to pay on the way out, or get for free upon producing a receipt from said shop. These people are parasites.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I undertake this challge and herby promise to reimburse Giraffe, if it ever turns into a court fine.

Top marks for Little Al

If these 'fines' are legally unenforceable - as they seem to be - I'm surprised that anyone pays them. I wonder how long it will be before supermarkets start clamping people if drivers widely ignore their invoices.

Personally, I like to see supermarkets hit in the pocket so the more people who do it, the better as far as I'm concerned

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Based on the evidence. Surely worth just ignoring the first letter, as the second will only be a chase (no increase), you could just claim you never received the first.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I'm sorry, I'm probably not going to be very popular here, but surely those that don't pay these fines are just complete chancers?

Giraffe, I accept that you may have a genuine greivance, however the vast vast majority of supermarket car parks have signs up stating that there is a maximum amount of time you can park there, and that you must be a customer to use the car park. It's pretty standard. If you genuinely did not see the sign, and were not aware of the restriction, then you've been unlucky.

I can see that these may not (according to moneysavingexpert) be legally enforcable, but I don't really have a problem with abiding by a set of rules if I choose to park on someone else's private land. If the maximum parking time is 2 hours, and I'm aware that it's 2 hours, and I get done for staying longer than that, then as far as I'm concerned I'm fair game to get a penalty charge. I don't really understand the mentality of those that think otherwise. Why should a company operate a (free) car park for you to use and not impose its own regulations?

Correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here