Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MORNINGTON CRESCENT anyone?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nice try mate but this is Mornington Crescent not Its a Knockout or Runaround with Mike Reid!!

Can we have a ruling please from anyone who has previously called Sloane Square although I imagine the lesser value of Anywhere north of the river might suffice?! any takers?

I'm reserving Earls Court pending a decision

It's OK, but I feel you ought to hop, skip to Baron's Court and wait for a Springtime Parabolic in order that you can move - and even then, only westward.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The Delboy Trotter manouvre first patented in Peckham suggests that EVERY Friday a visit to Shepherds Bush bush bush is in order.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Nice try mate but this is Mornington Crescent not Its a Knockout or Runaround with Mike Reid!!

Can we have a ruling please from anyone who has previously called Sloane Square although I imagine the lesser value of Anywhere north of the river might suffice?! any takers?

I'm reserving Earls Court pending a decision

I previously called Sloane Square, twice, so my ruling is simple, return to Wimbledon Park (Not Wimbledon) and wait for at least one looper around both Bank and Paddington.

For my go I'll choose.......

Tooting Bec :mad::mad:

Last edited:

MtFloridaGull

Jan 29, 2008
point of order on the westbourne crossover, with latimer road being de rigueur so to speak following yesterdays "dollis hill" incedent, I think you may need a kilburn first!

MtFloridaGull

Jan 29, 2008
And following a supberd "St Gorges Cross" manouever that's me with my King George the V to All Saints link ready to go unless anyone can counter.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
The Game

You will require:
2 or more players
A map of the London underground (this may be printed, in your head or viewed here)
Younger players may also find it useful to use a token such as a small coin to keep track of the current position of play.

The Aim.

To move from the starting station (the first station called) to Mornington Crescent.
The player that gets to Mornington Crescent wins the game.

The Rules.

Starting move.
The first player may choose any station within zones 3 to 6 which is neither a main-line station or an underground intersection.
Eg. Leyton is a legal first move; Stratford is not as it is both a main line station and an underground intersection. Likewise no station between Bromley-by-Bow and Braking is a legal starting move as all are on both the District and the Hammersmith and City lines

After the first move the following rules apply:

1.Play continues from the last station to be played.
Eg. If Leyton is called as first move, the next player must make a legal move beginning from Leyton.

2.A player may move from any main-line station within the map to any other main-line station within the map that is within the same zone as the original main-line station.
Eg. Paddington to Old Street is fine as they are both zone 1 (see main-line jumps to different lines rule) Queens Park to Old Street is not as Queens park is zone 2.

3.Each turn a player may move between zones once OR change lines at an intersection once OR travel across a main-line station once.
So legal moves from our example of Leyton include:
Bethnal Green but not Liverpool street
(Bethnal green is a move from zone 3 to zone 2 via the central line. Liverpool street is also central line but would be a change of 2 zones, zone 3 to zone 1)

West Acton but not Acton Town
(reached via Stratford main-line to Ealing Broadway main-line the whole move to West Acton is in Zone 3 AND on the Central Line. Acton Town is also Zone 3 and reachable from Ealing Broadway, but also requires a change from Central Line to District Line)

Canning town but not Prince Regent
(Canning town is a straight change at Stratford onto the Jubilee Line, Prince Regent would be a straight change at Stratford onto the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) but requires going through zone 2 and back out to zone 3)

4.When a player ends his turn on an intersection the next player may choose which of the available lines he or she is on.

5.When a player ends his turn on a main-line station the next player may choose to jump to a new main-line station from his starting position (Zone rules still apply) before choosing which line he or she is on.

6.Main-line jumps to different lines: When jumping to a legal station which is not on the same underground line as you original (as in the example Paddington to Old street), your move ends at the new main-line station ie. in the example it would be Old Street

7.First player to Mornington Crescent wins

As you can see this stripped down version of Mornington Crescent gives a fast paced and simple version of the game with an average play time of just 6 minutes.
I am well aware that this version lacks the depth, sizzle and intellectual fire of the original so to help you along the road to the true game of Mornington Crescent ...The Game, please feel free to alter/ignore any of these rules and to include any of the rules or game variants from the original as you progress in your skill at Mornington Crescent, here are some useful links to help you on your way

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Wookiee the rule you quoted are for Mornington Crescent Genus edition 2006, we are playing the All England John Bull Rules an altogether more complex version for the more intelligent amongst us.

With that in mind I am prepared to concede Ealing Broadway

MtFloridaGull

Jan 29, 2008
nice TRHK always good to see the game being opened up to newcomers I'd go Goodge St if I wasn't bound by the lichtenstein accord

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here