Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
That was my initial thought

His first game would be as a sub in the first round of the Carabao cup next season.

Though I can't get the nagging thought out of my head. He is a full Ecuador international. It's not like we've signed him from Bognor.

What harm would it do to give him half an hour from the bench on Wednesday? ..... just for a little look (assuming all formalities are agreed)

John Crumplin, Simon Steele and Geoff Cooper all came from the Bognor academy.
They all graced both the Nye Camp and The Goldstone.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
John Crumplin, Simon Steele and Geoff Cooper all came from the Bognor academy.
They all graced both the Nye Camp and The Goldstone.

And if Caicedo can show similar powers of improvement to the football genius, then we have a world star on our hands

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He's played against Argentina and Uruguay and up in La Paz. In World Cup qualifying. (Scored against Uruguay). That's not league1

Generally though I do agree with the logic of giving him time to settle. And I do agree that the actions of some of our supporters on social media may force GP's hand in terms of protecting him.

But he's played in big games with the spotlight on him. Bigger games than this one.

I'm sure GP and the club will handle it well.

I'll try not to let my curiosity to see him play affect my posting on this matter.

Sure, he played against Argentina and Uruguay and it seems he did well, but a couple of games never tell the whole story. Teddy Lucic made 86 caps for Sweden and we only conceded more than two goals three times with him in the starting lineup, still he looked completely out of it in the PL. Forlan couldnt score a goal for United. Kleberson won the World Cup with Brazil but is still a meme in Manchester United. Pröpper got a bag of caps for the Netherlands yet few would pick him above Pascal Gross who is never going to represent Germany. What a player does in international football is difficult to translate into the ability to play in the Premier League.

Must admit, from what I've read, including the article from the New York Times someone kindly posted, the main reason Equador players are not playing in the Premier League or other big leagues is the challenge of multiple agents and ownership of the players. We signed Moises, because we have a good relationship with two out of maybe four key stakeholders which put us in a much stronger position than the likes of Man Utd who walked away.

No. The main reason is that they are not considered good enough. If they are considered good enough, there is always someone who is sooner or later going to go through the hassle of signing them, like Brighton did with Caicedo and like numerous clubs does with players from Uruguay, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina etc. where you have the same kind of third party ownership issues. If we look at nations close to them in the world ranking, you have teams like Finland, Greece and Bosnia... all of which are able to produce a couple of top 5 league players per generation, but generally speaking the majority is not good enough. Outside the top 20 nations in the world, lots of the players are not good enough to play in the Premier League or La Liga. That is the main reason they arent.

That said, Caicedo could of course still be good enough but my point is that good enough for Ecuador doesnt necessarily mean good enough to play in the Premier League/against PL opposition.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sure, he played against Argentina and Uruguay and it seems he did well, but a couple of games never tell the whole story. Teddy Lucic made 86 caps for Sweden and we only conceded more than two goals three times with him in the starting lineup, still he looked completely out of it in the PL. Forlan couldnt score a goal for United. Kleberson won the World Cup with Brazil but is still a meme in Manchester United. Pröpper got a bag of caps for the Netherlands yet few would pick him above Pascal Gross who is never going to represent Germany. What a player does in international football is difficult to translate into the ability to play in the Premier League.

No. The main reason is that they are not considered good enough. If they are considered good enough, there is always someone who is sooner or later going to go through the hassle of signing them, like Brighton did with Caicedo and like numerous clubs does with players from Uruguay, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina etc. where you have the same kind of third party ownership issues. If we look at nations close to them in the world ranking, you have teams like Finland, Greece and Bosnia... all of which are able to produce a couple of top 5 league players per generation, but generally speaking the majority is not good enough. Outside the top 20 nations in the world, lots of the players are not good enough to play in the Premier League or La Liga. That is the main reason they arent.

That said, Caicedo could of course still be good enough but my point is that good enough for Ecuador doesnt necessarily mean good enough to play in the Premier League/against PL opposition.

We were talking about giving him half an hour in the cup.

And I don't agree that there aren't good players from lower nations. Good players can come from anywhere. There's loads of examples. Arsenal didn't turn down the chance to sign Aubamyang, because Gabon aren't a traditional football powerhouse.

And sometimes a few players come together and bring the team up. Belgium were rubbish 10-15 years ago ... then it all came together for them

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We were talking about giving him half an hour in the cup.

And I don't agree that there aren't good players from lower nations. Good players can come from anywhere. There's loads of examples. Arsenal didn't turn down the chance to sign Aubamyang, because Gabon aren't a traditional football powerhouse.

And sometimes a few players come together and bring the team up. Belgium were rubbish 10-15 years ago ... then it all came together for them

No one said there arent good players from lower nations, what I'm saying is that just because you play international football for some team doesnt mean you are going to be good enough to play in the PL and La Liga. Huge difference.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
He's played against Argentina and Uruguay and up in La Paz. In World Cup qualifying. (Scored against Uruguay). That's not league1

Generally though I do agree with the logic of giving him time to settle. And I do agree that the actions of some of our supporters on social media may force GP's hand in terms of protecting him.

But he's played in big games with the spotlight on him. Bigger games than this one.

I'm sure GP and the club will handle it well.

I'll try not to let my curiosity to see him play affect my posting on this matter.

Agree, trust GP and the club to handle things right.

Suspect it will be a while until he plays, but wouldn’t entirely rule out a substitute appearance. A certain young Lamptey broke into the team quicker then expected after all.

Anyway, Moder is next in line to get his chance for now.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Agree, trust GP and the club to handle things right.

Suspect it will be a while until he plays, but wouldn’t entirely rule out a substitute appearance. A certain young Lamptey broke into the team quicker then expected after all.

Anyway, Moder is next in line to get his chance for now.

Tariq signed in January , and made his debut in June! Sure we had lockdown from March, but he really wasn't fast tracked into the team.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Tariq signed in January , and made his debut in June! Sure we had lockdown from March, but he really wasn't fast tracked into the team.

“Quicker than expected”

I think even GP has admitted he didn’t think Lamptey would become a first teamer as quickly as he did.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Still, it wasn't quick. Also, that was with a player that had already impressed in the PL and didn't have to come to terms with a completely different culture, in terms of both football and daily life.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Fair comment.

Tbf, the lad could adapt quickly and start in a few weeks for all we know! As you say, I think both the Polish lads deserve a start tomorrow, both been on the bench in recent games, so Potter must think they're ready to play a part.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Was he not injured and only started playing again in December and then the season finished over there? So no football for at least a month, moving to another country, in a much harder league than hes played in before. Cant see him playing too soon to be honest. But it would be exciting!

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Was he not injured and only started playing again in December and then the season finished over there? So no football for at least a month, moving to another country, in a much harder league than hes played in before. Cant see him playing too soon to be honest. But it would be exciting!

According to Vickery in an interview with Cantor, yes he was.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
It'll be interesting to see when Moises gets his first taste of first team football.
It sounds like he has to establish some fitness first but there is also something to be said for making him feel part of the squad. Making an early contribution in the right game for him is key. I think we'll see Moder and Karbownik first though, although I'm not sure either will start a game just yet.

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
It'll be interesting to see when Moises gets his first taste of first team football.
It sounds like he has to establish some fitness first but there is also something to be said for making him feel part of the squad. Making an early contribution in the right game for him is key. I think we'll see Moder and Karbownik first though, although I'm not sure either will start a game just yet.

I tend to agree with you. That said, he's been playing at Altitude and has a reputation for having an incredible engine - I wonder if fitness will come very quickly for this lad and he could... just COULD be ready a little sooner

I'm clutching here clearly - would love to see a midfield of Karbo, Caicedo, Moder, Alzate with AN Other scheming ahead of them

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I tend to agree with you. That said, he's been playing at Altitude and has a reputation for having an incredible engine - I wonder if fitness will come very quickly for this lad and he could... just COULD be ready a little sooner

I'm clutching here clearly - would love to see a midfield of Karbo, Caicedo, Moder, Alzate with AN Other scheming ahead of them

Now that would be an exciting midfield. But yes, clutching

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
A sexy South American international midfield of Caicedo (Ecuador), Mac Allister (Argentina) and Alzate (Colombia).

Absolute flair!
Someone pinch me and tell me this could be true.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here