Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The agent’s job is literally to get the best deal for their client in a role that tends to last between 10-15 years. They know that a club has put in a club record offer for their client, and will offer significantly higher wages than their client is currently getting.

The agency, looking for a payday, has tried to push things along. Still not seeing that the agent has done anything but try to maximise their client’s earnings.

I love our club, I’m glad Caicedo’s still here, but I can’t join the outrage.

Do we know it’s arrogance? For sure? I guess the difference for me is that I assume most people try to do their best in whatever role they’re in.

If my job were to maximise my client’s earnings in the finite window of their footballing career, then the sooner a move happens, the better. My job becomes to actively push for that.

The public statement was likely to be a sign of desperation after a lack of willingness to negotiate on the Brighton side. I’m glad we held our ground, but I’m not going to demonise Caicedo’s agents for doing their job either.

There's a right way and a wrong way to do the job, though, and that Instagram post was very much in the "wrong way" category for me.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I notice that the article, timed at 09:52 (I guess today, 10th feb), says "Roberto de Zerbi has asked Brighton fans to get behind Moises Caicedo despite the midfielder confirming he wants to leave the club." (My italics).

Has he said that publicly since the close of the Window? I thought the general consensus was that the Instagram post was just his agent shit-stirring. Yes, we accept that he, and indeed all the top players, will move on eventually, but I don't think our other stars are being quite so blatant.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I notice that the article, timed at 09:52 (I guess today, 10th feb), says "Roberto de Zerbi has asked Brighton fans to get behind Moises Caicedo despite the midfielder confirming he wants to leave the club." (My italics).

Has he said that publicly since the close of the Window? I thought the general consensus was that the Instagram post was just his agent shit-stirring. Yes, we accept that he, and indeed all the top players, will move on eventually, but I don't think our other stars are being quite so blatant.
Is he going to ask that every week whilst Moises re-iterates his desire to leave every week?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2

As mentioned already, it's based on a week-old quote from RdZ ahead of the Bournemouth game, with the line you mentioned stemming from the (even older) social media post, nothing more. Feels like we've moved significantly beyond all this now, doesn't it?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Moises hired and pays the agents. Of course they are acting on his behalf. Unless I see Moises say ‘I told them not to post it, I never wanted to leave’ and sack the agents - then it’s obvious he was fine with what was happening

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
I think "wanting to leave" makes it sound like he was in the midst of a Trossard misery-storm. To my mind it was more a "was eager to get paid lots more money and at a more famous team to boot". His agents told him they could make it happen, his agents were very wrong.

The Instagram thing was a pathetic move that his agents came up with. The boy trusted his new agents and they made him look like a bellend. There is nothing wrong with wanting more money or wanting to play at a "higher level" and for a young lad to follow the advice of his agent is also understandable. I am still amazed at how thick his agents are and still outraged that they will make millions from him despite their palpable incompetence. Hopefully he sacks them and gets better leeches that at least protect their golden geese.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As mentioned already, it's based on a week-old quote from RdZ ahead of the Bournemouth game, with the line you mentioned stemming from the (even older) social media post, nothing more. Feels like we've moved significantly beyond all this now, doesn't it?
Yeah, that's what I thought. I don't read everything about him, but I think I'd have heard if he'd said "Ok, so I wasn't allowed to leave in January, but I'm 100% off in the summer!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here