Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moises Caicedo - New contract signed until summer 2027 with 1 year extra option.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Yes he did, But the question you should be thinking is that Would he have done, If Prescott said NO.

Think you might need this...

spade_144303169_1000.jpg

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Yes he did, But the question you should be thinking is that Would he have done, If Prescott said NO.

Along with questions like
- What if America and Russia had gone to Nuclear war over the Cuban missile crisis
-Would we be speaking German if Hitler wasn't stopped
-Would we be food for dinosaurs if they weren't extinct.
-Would we be happy with thinner stripes on the new kit?

Palarse Troll Shirley? Just not a good one.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Blimey. Someone tell me when this thread gets back on topic!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

Weird line to be going down isn't it Gully? Other questions in this category include:

YEAH, but what about if Tony had been a plasterer instead of a maths and business genius? Bet you'd still be singing his praises.
How about if Tony's folks had never had kids eh? What would you be saying about the Blooms now? huh huh?
What if as a teenager, Tony was killed in a jet ski accident off the coast of Peru?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

He’d already put money into the club long before we had planning permission for Falmer, but without Prescott saying yes there wasn’t really much to invest in. No one, not even a life long fan would be throwing nearly half a billion of their own money at the club while we were stuck playing at Withdean.

Any other ridiculous ideas and theories you want debunking?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Tony Bloom was astute enough to keep Martin Perry on the board who had done a very thorough job on the planning application. Brighton council had already passed the planning application by 11-1, so it was proved that Brighton wanted a stadium.

Btw Prescott didn't say yes or no. The Environment Secretary's job had changed twice before we actually got permission.
What he did do, was to say the stadium needed to be within 8 miles of the city centre, but all sites had to be investigated which was what the public inquiries were about.

Tony Bloom is the third generation of his family on the board, and wants to hand the club to his son, who is also a fan. Making money is his business, BHAFC is his pasion.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Along with questions like
- What if America and Russia had gone to Nuclear war over the Cuban missile crisis
-Would we be speaking German if Hitler wasn't stopped
-Would we be food for dinosaurs if they weren't extinct.
-Would we be happy with thinner stripes on the new kit?

Palarse Troll Shirley? Just not a good one.
Almost definitely Palace.

Will probably now get very indignant about the suggestion and being busted.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

What are you talking about?

1) Prescott didn't even grant the permission, Hazel Blears did. Prescott had backed down on his original 2005 agreement because of a technicality.
2) Permission was granted in 2007 and TB didn't even become chairman until 2009.
3) When he did become chairman it was because he decided to fund the stadium build entirely out of his own pocket as funding plans had crumbled away because of the 2008 banking collapse.

The question you ask is meaningless. 'Would Tony Bloom have invested in building a stadium that he had no planning consent to build?' My guess is no, he wouldn't. If, as I suspect to be the case, you're actually asking 'Would Bloom have invested the amount he has if we were still at Withdean?' then pretty obviously no he couldn't. A good part of the investment was on building the stadium and we wouldn't have been able to build the onfield side of the club without it. Building the stadium was essential to our future. Think back and you might just remember us all campaigning for a decade with that as the key part of our argument. If you are suggesting that Bloom was interested in the club only because of the money he could make from property development then with a current total investment of around £427 million and counting, he definitely seems to be playing the long game.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Worst business man ever to plough in £500M with no return so far and only guaranteed return is more shares in a club where he’s majority shareholder and only has a return if he sells the club to someone else

If we continue to sell £100m+ worth of players every year he will soon start to see a very positive balance sheet on his investment....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If we continue to sell £100m+ worth of players every year he will soon start to see a very positive balance sheet on his investment....

Do you think Bloom will personally start benefitting from that or will he continue to reinvest in the squad ?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do you think Bloom will personally start benefitting from that or will he continue to reinvest in the squad ?

A bit of both, I would imagine - if not reducing the capital debt, I'm sure he would like to stop being the man who effectively pays about £20M a year for his season ticket.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The club earns more the higher up the table we finish. If we continue to sell at that rate, we would get relegated.

Last season we earned £20M more from 16th to 9th.
https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/soc...champions-full-table/ukfu5xbuzeogqcpvg0plkhe0

We could sell Bissouma because we had Caicedo. We could sell Cucurella because we already had tabs on Pervis.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A bit of both, I would imagine - if not reducing the capital debt, I'm sure he would like to stop being the man who effectively pays about £20M a year for his season ticket.

I get that but I’m talking about specifically the £500M or so he’s already put in. I don’t see him getting much of that back

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I get that but I’m talking about specifically the £500M or so he’s already put in. I don’t see him getting much of that back

If TB cared about getting his money back, he would never have got involved in football. I imagine he's far too intelligent for that. No, the Albion are one of his life's passions, and he's doing what most of us would love to do if we could afford it.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes ......... I thought I'd covered that with 'not reducing the capital debt'?

:shrug:

Exactly - so from a Albion perspective he’s very much a fan over business, given what a terrible investment football generally is.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

The notion that Bloom has an intention of turning a profit is nonsensical given where we were when he took the club over. He's had to sell really as part of the current model, but for years we didn't sell anyone we wanted to keep.

I totally accept that he wants to the club to be sustainable, he doesn't want to be losing 60 odd million per year, but my view is that he's got no intention of personally recouping any of the money from the training ground or the stadium or any of the losses sustained getting and stabilising our premier league position, let alone looking to turn a personal profit out of this.

At the moment, we're more than sustainable, the next accounts and the ones after will likely show we've stemmed the flow of financial losses under the Hughton the then covid years and might show we've turned a profit.

So the short answer is that I think he will continue to invest, but in the same way he does at the moment. Fishing in different ponds, from Villa, Newcastle, West Ham etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here