Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mohammed 'Al' Fayed RIP

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Al Fayed's land bordered onto the M25 and he successfully sued the Department for Transport for the pollution washing onto his land from the road surface. As a result, from then on, the DfT was forced to put in proper drainage on trunk roads.

He also unsuccessfully tried to get permission for a heliport moored on the Thames in a seminal planning law case still quoted today.

He severely pissed off the establishment through outing the MPs he paid to ask questions (leading to the Nolan Principles) and then his son going out with Princess Diana and accusing the royals of assassinating them. Unlike the Russian oligarchs he didn't own friendly newspapers or donate £Mimms to the Conservatives.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This thread has aged well.....

In related news: it's possible to go back and unlike posts you've previously liked. Hope this helps someone.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I posted about MAF the other day in another random thread. I thought it was odd that an RIP one didn't come up in the search. But yeah - not a good look.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No surprise I suppose. Another bloke in power is a rapist. Allegedly.
And known about and reported about for years.

It's funny how these stories failed to stick.

Claims of sexual misconduct against the billionaire businessman were the subject of pieces by Vanity Fair in 1995, ITV in 1997 and Channel 4 in 2017.

Harrods was a basket case. I knew someone who worked there in the early 90s. Completely unrelated but they told me a story they had heard from a security guard. Complete fantasy nonsense I thought, but a few years later it becomes a tabloid thing.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I am not criticising anyone on this thread whatsoever before anyone takes umbrage.

Just find it interesting that only one person had a properly low opinion of him before the recent news. Someone on this thread acknowledged the benefits for Harrods and Fulham, but expressed that they found him and odious character.

Maybe this demonstrates how many people can have two sides to their character/personality and very few of us get to see both.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

John Macnamara, his head of security was a former Met detective and a nasty piece of work by all accounts. I wonder if he was able to use his old contacts in the police to influence the progress of any investigation.
The 15 year old girl who Fayed assaulted gave her phone to the police which had evidence of Fayed's call history to her. When the police returned her phone to her it no longer worked and the investigation was dropped.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Harrods was a basket case. I knew someone who worked there in the early 90s. Completely unrelated but they told me a story they had heard from a security guard. Complete fantasy nonsense I thought, but a few years later it becomes a tabloid thing.

And who was going to listen to a young punk, 33 years before the truth came out about mass rapist Savile?

Dec 29, 2011
In related news: it's possible to go back and unlike posts you've previously liked. Hope this helps someone.
Unrelated, but I noticed the other day that if you like a post from pre-2022 which already has likes, it will remove all of the existing likes.

Wouldn't really have an affect on anything, I just thought it interesting.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Unrelated, but I noticed the other day that if you like a post from pre-2022 which already has likes, it will remove all of the existing likes.

Wouldn't really have an affect on anything, I just thought it interesting.
There's a career in systems testing waiting for you.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
And who was going to listen to a young punk, 33 years before the truth came out about mass rapist Savile?

Yes, but TV programmes were made about it and he has been extensively reported about.

I'm interested what triggered this new round of press interest, Harrods paying out ?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Given he effectively spent his last years accusing the Royal Family and the establishment of murder I‘d have thought this would have surfaced a long time ago?

Like Savile his victims deserved their day in court.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
What I do not understand having watched the TV programme is why so many of these women stuck around in their Harrod’s jobs for years after they had been raped and/or assaulted by him. Surely you’d leave and never go back following an assault even if you were understandably unwilling to “out” him because of justifiable fear.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Given he effectively spent his last years accusing the Royal Family and the establishment of murder I‘d have thought this would have surfaced a long time ago?

Like Savile his victims deserved their day in court.
Come on Lenny, power, influence and money go a long way.

last year I posted on here, if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything kind of thing.
I heard rumours about 10 years ago from a friend who worked at Harrods briefly.
who was previously a parole officer assessing pedos for release, the stress was so much she gave it up.
She has heard some very famous names mentioned by prisoners within their sick world.

When they are dead the truth will obviously come out.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I've been waiting for this thread or similar to come up. I've not seen the documentary but have read the reports, including that the manager of the Fulham women's team (first professional one in the UK) were shielded from him. It'll be interesting to hear the views of the people who sit around me today and thank God we'll stop singing about him.

In my first post, I said he was divisive. He was also patently manipulative and by all accounts a despicable pervert and criminal. I only hope that that kind of behaviour could not be hushed up / ignored in any organisation these days.

But I'm not going to stop supporting Fulham or being thankful that he invested in us to get us into the Premier League.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What I do not understand having watched the TV programme is why so many of these women stuck around in their Harrod’s jobs for years after they had been raped and/or assaulted by him. Surely you’d leave and never go back following an assault even if you were understandably unwilling to “out” him because of justifiable fear.
Threats? Coercion?

One victim was told she’d never get another job in London if she said anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here