Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MOBO Awards

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
This is neither a fishing trip nor any intention to start a binfest, just a serious question/observation.

I’m aware that the these awards have been going or some time but slightly bemused as to how it is not seen as a potential to inflame racial tension.

If for instance it an attempt to create a MOWO awards I’m sure that there wound be condemnation as to it not being PC.

Am I alone in this thinking ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think this every year when the TV stations start chattering about it. But you are clearly a racist for brining it up.
:mendoza:

These awards were bought in by people that felt at the time that 'black' music was not receiving the acclaim that it deserved. Personally I don't think that is particularly necessary any more, at a time when so-called r'n'b and hip-hop do so well in the charts and on national radio stations but it was certainly bought in with the best of intentions.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What about a 'White Police Officers Association'? I have heard that any officer who puts this idea forward would be hounded out of their job.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
This is neither a fishing trip nor any intention to start a binfest, just a serious question/observation.

I’m aware that the these awards have been going or some time but slightly bemused as to how it is not seen as a potential to inflame racial tension.

If for instance it an attempt to create a MOWO awards I’m sure that there wound be condemnation as to it not being PC.

Actually I don't think there would be PC condemnation for MOWO, as long as it didn't exclude non-white people from being considered for awards.

The MOBO's have given awards to white people including Simply Red and Tim Westwood.

The MOBO's though have struggled a bit for purpose. Not really recognised by the US and not doing enough to promote British artisits.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
The key word is ORIGIN.

As hatter says above, the award has been given to white people previously and there is nothing stopping them.

It's the music that is of black origin, not the people.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I do cringe a bit, however there ARE MOWO awards - although they're usually called "Country 'n' Western' awards. Apart from Country 'n' Western pretty much all modern 'pop' music can quite legitimately claim to be of black origin; trace the ancestry of any modern branch of pop and you'll find it has at least part of its roots in blues or jazz.

However I do think that MOBO is a slightly snappier title than MOBOTHBTHBWP awards (Music Of Black Origin That Hasn't Been Totally Hijacked By White People awards)

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The key word is ORIGIN.

As hatter says above, the award has been given to white people previously and there is nothing stopping them.

It's the music that is of black origin, not the people.
the key question is why bother making the distinction ? we know white people have been nominated for and won awards at the mobo's , but to concentrate on this rather than why they have to make a distinction is just deflecting the question.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
the key question is why bother making the distinction ? we know white people have been nominated for and won awards at the mobo's , but to concentrate on this rather than why they have to make a distinction is just deflecting the question.

Not at all. It's a certain type of music; it's music of black origin.

History shows us that black people have often needed to shout from the rooftops about successes and this is a historical name for the awards ceremony.

I don't see a problem with it.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Other awards are equally weighted towards pasty white boys with guitars. If people want to define themselves by their colour thats their lookout, just dont complain when you dont get anywhere in life.

I bet you someone is shot or stabbed at these thing tonight though. Absolutely nailed on. Unlikely to happen at an NME bash between two bookish types with long fringes.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Other awards are equally weighted towards pasty white boys with guitars. If people want to define themselves by their colour thats their lookout, just dont complain when you dont get anywhere in life.

I bet you someone is shot or stabbed at these thing tonight though. Absolutely nailed on. Unlikely to happen at an NME bash between two bookish types with long fringes.
show some respeck blud, him diss me again and im gonna shank dat man up.

thats tim westwood by the way.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
show some respeck blud, him diss me again and im gonna shank dat man up.

thats tim westwood by the way.

even he got shot. be careful what you wish for Timothy!

Did you see about the fella on the bus in Streatham Bushy? Cover of this Mondays SLP.

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes

What about music of Yellow origin, or Inuit origin, or Native American origin. Are they being discriminated against?

Violence at the MOBO awards, surely not, they'll just be there to enjoy their gangsta rap with those wonderful lyrics that encourage diversity and celebrate peace and love within all communities.

Anyway there'll be a contingent from NSC there presumably changing quickly out of their suits, donning their baseball caps back to front or to the side and getting into the scene. Innit!:laugh:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
What about music of Yellow origin, or Inuit origin, or Native American origin. Are they being discriminated against?

Violence at the MOBO awards, surely not, they'll just be there to enjoy their gangsta rap with those wonderful lyrics that encourage diversity and celebrate peace and love within all communities.

Anyway there'll be a contingent from NSC there presumably changing quickly out of their suits, donning their baseball caps back to front or to the side and getting into the scene. Innit!:laugh:

you laugh, but the thing is its people like on here that actually start or at least take them more mainstream. without middle class white involvement these things would not be the size they are. They would be in Lewisham Theatre otherwise.

Most awards ceremonies are complete bollocks. Why do these over-hyped, over-paid, pampered twats need another public stroke of their mega egos? The Brits, the MTV awards, the Oscars, Golden Globes, TV Quick mong of the moment awards I mean really what is the point of any of them? At least the original idea of the MOBO's was to promote and give coverage to a genre that was perhaps being under valued by the mainstream media of the time. But I would agree that today the whole idea is quite cringe worthy and obsolete.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here