Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mo Farah - Not in top 3 - Are we still fundamentally a racist nation

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
You have no way of knowing that for sure. It was a public vote - and you can't be inside everyone's head.

Bradley's comedy interview at the beginning of the show probably won him a huge number of extra votes.

Mo not winning doesn't make Britain racist. But his vote was lower than you'd expect, and there are reasons behind that.

I think that one of those reasons is possibly that he is black. I really doubt middle-England would have voted for him. Sad, but true.

Another reason is that he was born in Africa. Others would have got more local support - eg Murray (Scotland) and Ennis (big city of Sheffield).

Anyway...

He wouldn't have to rely on middle England (whatever that is) because the 2011 census reveals the indicative population of Somalis in the UK is about 108k, and that doesn't include those who (like Mohommed) are now British passport holders and could therefore refer to themselves as being Black British which is some 2m strong. Using your implied racist logic that the votes cast were along racial lines then he wasn't let down by the native whites he was let down by his black brothers and sisters.

I suspect on the contrary to you though that he did get a healthy vote from the native white population becuase he was cheered on by enough of them in the Olympics and was voted 3rd in SPOTY last year.

Equally the 600k stong mixed black and white population didn't all vote for Jessica, although I suspect she was not supported by the blue and white striped half of Sheffield.

Bradley won because his achievements in 2012 were unprecedented and just like Daley Thomson he has a refreshingly edgy and engaging personality. Jessica and Mohommed have some charisma, but at the heart of it they are really good clean kids.

Bradley has something of the rock star about him, and for those of us not up tight we can tell he would be a laugh down the pub. Jessica would not be in the pub because she would be training hard or on her latest media campaign for L'oreal. Mohommed..............well its unlikely he would be in the pub with us at all.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I get you now. The cap was valid. Schoolboy error. I should have referred to the paint chart first...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I know (literally know) people in middle England that would not vote for Mo Farrah because of his skin colour/background.

I know (literally know) people who think Bradley Wiggins is a wanker. I know (literally know) people that think Jessica Ennis is a boring smug cow. I could go on...

Feb 14, 2010
I wasn't interested in push biking before, during or after the Olympics. Same for middle distance running. As such I'm a complete neutral who only observes that it seems strange that a track athlete such a Ovette, Coe, Cram or Mo could lose out to a er cyclist. But then I think some horse jumper won it last year. As such I wouldn't really worry about it as it seems a competition geared towards minority pass times instead of popular sports that people play. I think it appeals to the people that like to say "didnt they do well" no matter how few people play the sport.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What a load of horseshit.

Wiggins was always going to win because not only did he win the Olympic title, but he also accomplished something no British man in history has ever even got close to doing until this year (when, ironically, Chris Froome came close too), ie winning the Tour de France. It's two completely different achievements.

Ennis did well because not only did she live up to the massive expectations on her by winning gold in a difficult event, but also because she's quite hot, as athletes go, therefore plenty of men voted for her (hell, I'm a woman, and if I was ever going to admit to a mild lady crush on anyone, it would be Jess).

Murray came third because of the demographic of BBC voters: history has always favoured tennis players, no matter how many times they've failed. Greg Rusedski won the thing despite not winning a Grand Slam title, and TIMMY regularly finished in the top three, despite being a career-long failure when it came to the events that counted.

Farah's medals were amongst the highlights of the entire Olympics, and he comes across as a fantastic and entirely down-to-earth bloke. Britain bloody LOVES Mo Farah, and don't let any troll on here tell you otherwise.

(Rory McIlroy didn't even get close, after a phenomenal year: does that mean we're all voting against him because he's a bit Irish?).

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I wasn't interested in push biking before, during or after the Olympics. Same for middle distance running. As such I'm a complete neutral who only observes that it seems strange that a track athlete such a Ovette, Coe, Cram or Mo could lose out to a er cyclist. But then I think some horse jumper won it last year. As such I wouldn't really worry about it as it seems a competition geared towards minority pass times instead of popular sports that people play. I think it appeals to the people that like to say "didnt they do well" no matter how few people play the sport.

Utter bollocks. Who are you to decide that cycling is a 'minority pass time' rather than one of the greatest sports on Earth? And by implication, that track running is somehow more credible?

Cycling has ALWAYS been huge in mainland Europe, and the fact that this country didn't participate or understand the sport fully until recently does NOT make the history of one of the World's most gruelling, challenging and beautiful sports any less valid.

We in the UK have now joined the party. More and more people are choosing cycling as their main participatory sport. Membership of cycling clubs has gone through the roof. At the highest level our cyclists are right up there amongst the best in the world, and more and more are coming through.

Bradley Wiggins has achieved incredible things this year, unprecedented and extraordinary, in a mass participation sport where it is unbelievably hard to get to the top. I'm delighted that more and more British people 'get' cycling. You clearly don't. So don't come out with any more of your patronising and self-congratulatory crap about it.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Utter bollocks. Who are you to decide that cycling is a 'minority pass time' rather than one of the greatest sports on Earth? And by implication, that track running is somehow more credible?

Cycling has ALWAYS been huge in mainland Europe, and the fact that this country didn't participate or understand the sport fully until recently does NOT make the history of one of the World's most gruelling, challenging and beautiful sports any less valid.

We in the UK have now joined the party. More and more people are choosing cycling as their main participatory sport. Membership of cycling clubs has gone through the roof. At the highest level our cyclists are right up there amongst the best in the world, and more and more are coming through.

Bradley Wiggins has achieved incredible things this year, unprecedented and extraordinary, in a mass participation sport where it is unbelievably hard to get to the top. I'm delighted that more and more British people 'get' cycling. You clearly don't. So don't come out with any more of your patronising and self-congratulatory crap about it.

What a post!

This several times over.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Err, haven't Giggs and Beckham both won it in the past? Football must be a minority "pass time".

Oh, and for a minority "pass time" it makes a lot of money for the UK. Cycling worth £3bn a year to UK economy, says LSE study | Life and style | The Guardian

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a post!

This several times over.

Indeed. Great piece. I'm looking forward to Working Class Pride's attempt at a reply to this.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I find this thread both scary and reassuring at the same time.

Scary because someone could think that Mo Farah not winning was because Britain is an institutionally racist country.

Reassuring because virtually everyone else thinks this is bollocks.

There is becoming an increasing Big Brother element to racism in this country now - it needs to be stopped as people could find themselves being arrested for calling Irish people Micks or scots Jocks before too long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here