Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Misty in Roots

afters said:
absolute killa !

saw black uhuru at the rainbow to promote that lp absolutely magic (apart from the big fight).

and stabbing, reminded me of "white man at the Rainbow threatre"

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Thanks for resurrecting this thread Hiney. Did anyone go to the Culture gig at the Komedia a few weeks ago? Joe Hills son on vocals now the old man has passed on.

"I can see, with mine own eyes, its only a housing scheme that divide!"

PG

yeah was a little hairy, were you there too? classic night!

I used to go to loads of Reggae stuff in Brighton and in LOndon, I remember one of the bands at the Top Rank, it might have been culture but I don't think so, who were stage struck at seeing a nearly an all white audience. When you went to London, it was mainly punks and rasta's. The smell of ganga at those gigs were quite amazing.

I gave up in the end when I went to Nottingham, the mixing of races in the early 80's socially was non existant. I was literally the only white lad in the audience and unfortunately there was always just one gang who wanted to ruin my night.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
are black Uhuru still going

Saw Black Uhuru and the Abyssinians last night - cracking night out.

Michael Rose's voice is still pretty good at 50. Duckie Simpson looked like he was about to fall asleep on a few occasions, and seemed to pop off for a toilet break every other song, but he never missed a note even though he must be about 100 by now (at least he looks it, but maybe that's the effect of a lifetime of ganja...).

The Abyssinians were impressively spritely too, considering the three of them must have a combined age of 200...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
you lucky sod...loved black uhuru

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Where was th Uhuru gig? Will have to see if they are playing elsewhere.
This has inspired me to get the vinyl out and am currently recalling PushPush from Sensemilla. The 'stickiest' bass line ever from Mr Shakespeare and one of the reasons my middle lad is called Robbie.
PG

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Where was th Uhuru gig? Will have to see if they are playing elsewhere.
This has inspired me to get the vinyl out and am currently recalling PushPush from Sensemilla. The 'stickiest' bass line ever from Mr Shakespeare and one of the reasons my middle lad is called Robbie.
PG

It was in Eindhoven -- don't know if they're playing anywhere in the UK.

They did play Push Push, although Sly & Robbie aren't involved any more of course...

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
It was in Eindhoven -- don't know if they're playing anywhere in the UK.

They did play Push Push, although Sly & Robbie aren't involved any more of course...

Indeed, and I know Puma Jones has been dead for a while.

I gather they played the Jazz Cafe in Camden in early November. My gig radar isn't what it used to be.
PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here