Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Missing World Cup matches because ....

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Surely I'm not alone in this.

I have been dealt a double blow to my England World Cup campaign, and it's not my fault at all. I had my head up, spotted the 3pm kick-off in the Group stages, and booked the day off work months ago. Why can't those around me be so sensible?

Friday 18th vs Slovenia, 7.30pm, superb. Kick the weekend off in style. Oh no. My boss, the Managing Director, is having a 50th birthday party in Covent Garden that evening. Nice restaurant, no tellys, but enough noise outside that "avoiding the result" isn't even worth joking about. All expenses paid, big night out, a select few have had partners invited too. I'm part of that select few, and have zero chance of ducking this.

Saturday 26th : our 2nd Round game, IF we win our Group. I'm at a friggin' wedding. Someone who is a "fringe" friend, who we could duck, or maybe a male friend who should have known better and will understand when I say "not a chance matey." Nope, it's a friend of the GLW, and not just anyone, but her chief bridesmaid from our wedding. No chance of swerving that either.

FFS, the World Cup hasn't just crept up on anyone, no-one has just hastily arranged this football festival, there is just NO EXCUSE for this.

So, who else is just starting to realise that they are due to miss key matches?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I may well be airbourne whilst at least some of our probable second round game is on. Hopefully it won't be too bad though.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Two of our friends are getting married on the day of the ruddy WORLD CUP FINAL. If England get there then I think they've accepted that lots of people won't be going to the evening...

That's just RIDICULOUS! Have they never heard of football.

They do realise that if England make the Final, then they will there on their own, surely. In fact, I wouldn't bet on the groom being there if England are in the Final.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Told work ill be unavailable during the England games! They allowed it but now I have a new boss and doesn't like football one bit. :US:

Takes the piss. So I'm missing the USA game :'(

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to a wedding on the day we played greece, we were given plenty of updates from the staff at the venue. As we exited the church and were having our photos taken word came through about England being 1-0 down. Things got a lot mor echeerier as by the time we were settled in the reception area it was 1-1, and we were qualifying.

And some friends were going out on a stag night the evening of the game v portugal that knocked us out last time. That put a dampener on things.

That's just RIDICULOUS! Have they never heard of football.

They do realise that if England make the Final, then they will there on their own, surely. In fact, I wouldn't bet on the groom being there if England are in the Final.

The groom is a bloody Scot. The bride is Thai but supporting England. To be fair they were pretty gutted when they realised, it just didn't occur to them when they were booking the venue...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The groom is a bloody Scot. The bride is Thai but supporting England. To be fair they were pretty gutted when they realised, it just didn't occur to them when they were booking the venue...

safe to say its the staff at the evening do that will be most peeved, just don't eat the soup

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

I take it back.

Whereas you and I see a year ending in an even number, and think "summer tournament", he (being a Scot) would lokk at years ending in an odd number and think "mmm, careful it doesn't clash with a qualifier."

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
A certain Saints supporting brother of mine has got a baby due the first week of July, to be honest if it's during an England game he'll probably give the birth a miss, it's the third kid and surely once you've seen your first one born it just gets a bit samey!

My only slight annoyance is that our second group game clashes with the T20 game against Hants, I should be able to catch the first innings before ducking in to a pub to watch the soccerball.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I recall a wedding i had to attend with the ex wife in Scotland on the day of England v Portugal at the last world cup.

After many an evening arguing i firmly told her that i will not be accompanying her to Scotland of all places and she will have to go alone.

6 months later we parted company :laugh:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
England v USA 7:30 ko

Well at 7:30pm I'm expected to be at the gates of Patcham High to pick my lad up from a France trip, (he and my other two children live with their mum in Patcham, It's my weekend with them.) I live in central Brighton where if I havent secured a parking space by 5pm I'm stuffed for the rest of the weekend as the resident bays around me are Mon - Sat! I suggest to him Taxi for Oliver to which he replies "yeh whatever":angry:

England v Algeria 7.30 ko. Lets hope they have it on in Luxor:angry:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My mate is going to a wedding on Saturday in the hope that there will be a telly somewhere in the building of the evening do. I feel sorry for the groom, not only is he likely to miss England v USA, but will be expected to spend the next 2 weeks being romantic with his missis and will probably miss some cracking group matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here